Thread: Camping alone?

raistlinmajere8's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Camping alone?

Okay to start off i'm 19. I'm a year out of high school. Recently, I've had a sort of falling out with literally all my friends.

Now, I've been going camping since I could walk. With family, friends etc.

But, I've never been camping by myself.

And I couldn't bare the thought of not going camping this summer, but I'm a bit apprehensive about wandering off into the mountains for a weekend by my self. I've always been told to never go "backcountry" camping by myself. So just because I have no friends, currently, should I just disregard this cherished tradition?

I am in no means inexperienced, but its just always advisable to have a buddy when camping; especially when its not in some "man-made" campground.

P.S. If anybody is wondering, I chose to part ways with the old chums. They all were engaging in seriously illegal activities, and I do not wish to jeopardize my future.
    Last edited by raistlinmajere8; June 11, 2009 at 01:18 AM.

Wilder's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Camping alone?

Shame about your friends, sorry about that.

But on topic, I would say that camping by yourself is pretty fun, and in a general way not dangerous at all. It is worth mentioning though, that it can be higher risk, given that if something bad should happen, you will have to deal with it yourself, no one else to give you a hand. So basically, especially given that it is your first time out alone, you will want to minimize your risks, stay on marked trail, be familiar with your rout (at least on paper, but even better in person), avoid fording quick moving rivers alone, and NEVER even think about crossing a river out of your comfort zone, make sure someone responsible knows were you are going and when you will be back, but above all, just use common sense, the same judgment that kept you safe in a group, will keep you safe alone.

But before I feel like I could make an informed decision, I would want to make a mental list of objective hazards that I might deal with, and how I would approach them. In the end it is simply an equation about how much risk you are willing to deal with.

BTW, where are you planing on doing your trek? I have done way to much of this stuff, and might be able to give you a more complete answer if I knew.
    Last edited by Wilder; June 11, 2009 at 04:37 AM.

raistlinmajere8's Avatar Ordinarius

Well for my first time out alone, I was thinking about going to the Great Sand Dune National Park here in Colorado. I've been there like a bazillion times, and I know it like the back of my hand. But its still just an amazing place. But its a National Park, so its a man-made campground and such.

Pussy stuff really, but for me first time I'll avoid the risk of the backcountry, and extreme bear country haha. For now at least.

Wilder's Avatar Senator

Yup, bears can be a big Objective hazard, but if you have done it before, I'm sure you can do it again. I sure wouldn't worry too much about it, You come across people all the time in national parks too, so there is that.

That sound like fun, I wish you luck.

Start out with the familiar parks, for sure. Work your way up

If you camp near places with long trails (I dunno,the Muir trail in CA? I'm useless with the west), sometimes you can meet people. When I was on the Inka Trail we ended up seeing the some of the same people and spending quite a bit of time with them. I'd imagine it's the same in other places.

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

I would advise against it for safety reasons, unless you are just determined to. In that case, stick to somewhere you have been before, and keep a cell phone with you at all times. Bring a gun if there are bears and its legal (and if you have a gun).

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

If you are just going out camping alone its really not all that bad, I do it a lot, mostly because none of my friends are into camping and I'm not willing to let it hold me back.

As people have already mentioned, just don't take risks. If something happens there's no one there to help you.

But, sometimes things happen beyond your control. So, remember to bring a first aid kit and know how to use it, have a map and compass and know how to use it, have a signal mirror, and have a whistle, flashlight, matches, etc (basic 10 essential stuff)

Probably the most important thing however, is to tell someone your plans. Tell someone where your going, when your leaving, and when you expect to be back. And make sure that their responsible enough to get people looking for you if they don't hear from you. Many times this is as easy as checking in at the Ranger Station.

If your doing a longer trail, like the John Muir, Pacific Crest, Appilatian, etc, you will meet other people and most likely pick up a nick name along the way. There are always people on these trails and their is a community of mutual support. I knew a 70 year old woman that used to do three day trips on the PCT. She used the shop I worked as her safety, always coming in to tell us she was leaving and when to expect us back and we had her family contact info.

Otherwise, go out, have a good time, and enjoy the solitude.

Oh, and if you really don't feel comfortable, there are always ways of finding partners whether through websites or posting at you local outdoor shop.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

You need to make some good friends because your old friends are really boring make some new friends who have some guts to to these thrilling activities, I don't like these people who sits in bars and talks about they are thrilling but they don't have any guts to prove themselves. Anyway if you don't get any company yet so just pack your tent and camp alone it's still fun.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I think I'm late here, but being largely expert in wild camping (at least 1 week per year during the last 20 years) I'd like to add some suggestions to the others' ones, regarding camping alone

- someone should know where your base camp is
    - always have a GPS positioner if plan to go walking in the wild
    - always have a mean to contact someone for help (mobile if you have covering, sat phone, radio etc)
    - always bring more water than what you need (if you don't have a source of fresh water close to your camping site) and always bring water for at least 3 days (usually 5 ltrs are enough if you are in temperate area) if you go out walking alone
    - always bring sweets with you if you go walking alone, the more the better
    - never ever drop your water or food when you walk alone, if you are too much tired better to rest than to leave those things in order to reduce the weight
    - always bring some extra clothes in your pack when you go walking, especially in mountain regions
    - a dog is a valuable friend and support if you are alone
    - sleep a lot, all the night long if possible (resting in such spots has not the same recovery effects as in a bed, so you need more time)

I know I appear to be exaggerated, but if you want to stay safe when you are alone that are musts, IMO

EDIT: I forgot, clearly I'm supposing you are going to have all the basic tools with you (tent, matches, knifes, a rope, proper clothes, etc etc) and that you are going to have a base camp in the wild (I mean that meeting someone during the day should be a rarity).
    Last edited by Flinn; September 03, 2013 at 05:05 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Nice tips Flinn. I do the same thing with my parents dog. Once a year I steal my moms car, take the dog and some old hiking equipment and escape into the Norwegian forests. It's a tradition, don't worry about my mom.

Here is my top 5 things to bring:
    Water.
    Reliable Knife.
    warm clothing or a whool blanket if you are in cold climates, essential.
    Rope.
    Whisky, music, candy or other simple enjoyable substances of your choice depending on what you want out of your trip.

I've been doing this for a couple of years now, not as many as Flinn the Veteran, but I got 2 or 3 manly hairs on my back. This year, I think my own love and stories have inspired friends and families to join me. My mom, little brother, my grandfather (87 y.o.) is coming along to walk over the mountain plateau of Hardangervidda. Yes, 87 year old grand father doesn't take "no, it's not safe" for an answer.

Happy new year guys. Don't let dark friends or negative family hold you back from the wild. I truly mean that.

Links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardangervidda
    http://ut.no/turomrade/hardangervidda2

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Hi Kjertesvein and well met

I had a look on that links, those mountains are wonderful, but I doubt I would go there winter time .. brrr Where I go usually, mountains are not that high (a little bit less than 2000 mts), but the wild area is very wide and it's really wild (wolves, some bears) despite we are in the center of Italy, really enjoyable in summer and early autumn period!

At any rate, what one has to bring along depends much on what it's the plan; as I camp for variuos days (and very seldom completely alone), I have to come with car and full equipment (tent, camp bed, food and water stock, etc), but the first things I take are pretty much the same you mentioned.

On my list I forgot to add drugs

- generic antibiotic (some infections can be very aggressive, so better to take it immediatly if you have an infection, even a small one on a small scratch)
    - hydrogen peroxide, pretty much the best disinfectant EVER
    - a generic soothing cream (for insects stings)
    - and of course plasters, bandage etc

the more is probable you'll be alone, the higher is the risk for you, and having an accident, even at your camp base, is not that rare (you know, dealing with wood and fire, sharp tools, and so on).

As I said I've been camping for more than 20 years now, and despite many minor accidents and problems I had (and my friends too ) we always worked them out and we never had to leave the camp before the expected date.
    I'm quite proud about that

I wonder if it would be worth to make a dedicated thread in the ULO? this is more a sort of sport issue than traveling ..

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader