Thread: Upgrading hard drive

Default Upgrading hard drive

Im looking to upgrade my hard drive, but I have come to some trouble. My current 37.2GB hard drive can barely hold more than 2 games on it at a time, and thats if they arn't modern games. So I was searching around, and I saw some options.

I can either buy myself a 250-300GB hard drive that has seek times from 8-9.0ms seek times, or go with a smaller 73GB hard drive that has 4.5ms seek times. I know that 4.5 is a large difference from 8.0ms and a lot faster, but Im not sure if it would be woth sacrificing nearly 180GB of space. So I need more opinions. What do you guys think?

Here are the two hard drives I was looking at:

smaller/faster
    Big/slow

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

I run "old" IDE drives. I'd keep the 10,000 rpm HD for running Windows, and get a BIG one for games, pictures, etc.
    Also, doing this will help slightly protect stuff away from your Windows install. If you ever have to reinstall Windows, you won't lose everything.
    This is how I've got mine set up anyway.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

krazykarl's Avatar Tech Monkey

get 2 midsized SATA (160-200gb) and RAID 0 them the speed is phenomonal and the cost of 2 160's is abt the same as one 300.
    -There is no Overkill
    -Apathy causes the least amount of conflict with stupid people

Check out my Guide to creating webpages
    Under the patronage of Incinerate_IV

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

I personaly have a 200GB SATA 7200 RPM HD with 8 MB Cache and it works great leaving me plenty of room with all my games installed.

Marshal Qin's Avatar Bow to ME!!!

moved to 'the basement'.
    Exotic Slave - Spook 153, Barbarian Turncoat - Drugpimp, Catamite - Invoker 47
    Drunken Uncle - Wicked, Priest of Jupiter - Guderian

Under the patronage of El-Sib Why? ...... Because Siblesz sent me
    Proud member of the Australian-New Zealand Beer Appreciation Society (ANZBAS?)

Quote Originally Posted by krazykarl
    get 2 midsized SATA (160-200gb) and RAID 0 them the speed is phenomonal and the cost of 2 160's is abt the same as one 300.
    Im not too familiar with "raid 0". What's the process?

to do a raid 0 you must have SATA or an ide raid card or motherboard with raid.

It combines both drives together and does whats called striping, it puts every other byte (or something like that) on each drive so it combines their space and speed into 1 drive. Its faster.

If you have 10k SATA drives its fast, its even fast if you got ATA100 drives, doen't really matter.

Its INSANE with ultra SCSI or SATA2 drives if you can do that.

It really isn't that much noticible though unless you play games with a lot of load times, like games that load levels a lot. Loading levels is basically the only hard drive intensive thing you do so imo its not really worth the money, unless you allready have raid and one drive allready and need the space, then do it. BTW, like Dual Channel ram you will need 2 IDENTICAL drives from the same manufacturer, if not it will not work properly.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Ah I see, thanks Kanaric. Unfortunatelly, I don't have SATA, a raid card, or a motherboard with raid. Does anyone know a hard drive that runs in between? Maybe a 6ms seek time and 150GB hard drive?

Edit: wait, I found something in my system info called "mraid35x" in system drivers. Would that be anything?

Edit x2: Also, anybody know where I can find detailed info on my motherboard to know if it supports these hard drives? I have a dell dimension 4600, and for some reason I can't find any info at all on my motherboard.
    Last edited by Mooshie; June 02, 2005 at 10:04 PM.

krazykarl's Avatar Tech Monkey

If you are willing to shell out an extra few bucks, SATA RAID controller cards are not very expensive anymore.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6941&CatId=508
    this is a link to one i found on tigerdirect.

and here is an article on RAID systems
    http://arstechnica.com/paedia/r/raid-1.html

if you are so interested.

If you don't have SATA, the raptor drives are only availible in SATA, so your only choice is the other one.
    Personally, a raptor doesn't improve performance by much. It'll marginally improve load times, but for the most part you won't see the performance improvement

I think I'll buy the raid sata card and the raptor hard drive for now, and than the large memory hard drive later. I would like to have both hard drives, but I don't have the money at the momen. Thanks for the advice people.

Quote Originally Posted by krazykarl
    If you are willing to shell out an extra few bucks, SATA RAID controller cards are not very expensive anymore.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6941&CatId=508
    this is a link to one i found on tigerdirect.

and here is an article on RAID systems
    http://arstechnica.com/paedia/r/raid-1.html

if you are so interested.
    Another question, will that card shown act as an adapter for IDE to SATA? Because I have IDE, so I'll need some kind of an adapter.