Thread: Eriador Suburb militia reskinned: Armor Upgrade I

Default Eriador Suburb militia reskinned: Armor Upgrade I

I felt sorry for these guys, coming to the battlefield with their rakes and pitchforks, dressed like they just were just dragged out of their beds, struggling to hold the line while desperately attempting to stick their farming utensils between the armor plates of heavily armored Isengard orcs. Apparently dressed in some kind of formal dress code battle-eco-pajamas they still had armor rating of 9. I wonder how thick that Kevlar weave has to be for a 9… So I decided to give them a more of rugged redneck outdoorsmen look rather than their green pixie benevolent peasant appearance: out went wooden sticks and twigs, in came spears with steel reinforced tips and handles. The pageantry tunics got exchanged for dead animal hide armors and other leather tanner’s masterwork.

These (mesh and accompanying textures) are ideally used as first tier armor upgrades for Suburb Militia unit – after they have been equipped by a leather tanner, since this great mod suffers from lack of armor upgrades to the point of rendering armorer buildings inopportune. In case you want to use them as such you have to add the following to your %TotalWarDIR%\mods\Third_Age\data\unit_models\battle_models.modeldb.

Code:
    19 peasant_militia_ug1 
      1 1 
      51 unit_models/_Units/en_lmail_hmail/epm_ug1_lod0.mesh 6400 
      5 turks 
      70 unit_models/_Units/en_lmail_hmail/textures/Eriador_militia_ug1.texture 
      77 unit_models/_Units/en_lmail_hmail/textures/Eriador_militia_ug1_normal.texture 
      45 unit_sprites/turks_peasant_militia_sprite.spr
      5 turks 
      59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Eriador_light_diff.texture 
      59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Eriador_light_norm.texture 0  
      4 None 
      10 MTW2_Spear 0  
      18 MTW2_Spear_primary 0 
      16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    If you have never done this sort of thing before, I would advise you to back up your files first.

And the highlighted part in your %TotalWarDIR%\mods\Third_Age\data\export_descr_unit.txt (around 2886th line)

Code:
      type             Suburb Militia
      dictionary       Suburb_Militia      ; Suburb Militia
      category         infantry
      class            spearmen
      voice_type       Heavy
      banner faction   main_spear
      banner holy      crusade
      soldier          Armored_Sergeants, 60, 0, 1
      officer          eriador_captain_early_flag
      attributes       sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, free_upkeep_unit
      formation        1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 4, square, schiltrom
      stat_health      1, 0
      stat_pri         7, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
      stat_pri_attr    light_spear, spear_bonus_4
      stat_sec         0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 0, 1
      stat_sec_attr    no
      stat_pri_armour  4, 3, 2, metal
      stat_sec_armour  0, 0, flesh
      stat_heat        2
      stat_ground      1, 0, 2, 0
      stat_mental      11, normal, trained
      stat_charge_dist 15
      stat_fire_delay  0
      stat_food        60, 300
      stat_cost        1, 460, 190, 75, 75, 460, 4, 100
      armour_ug_levels 0, 1
      armour_ug_models peasant_militia, peasant_militia_ug1
      ownership        turks
      era 0            turks
      era 1            turks
      era 2            turks
      recruit_priority_offset    5
    The green number is the price of the armor upgrade and you can change it to fit your affinities.

Also export_unit_addendum.txt file contains text which you could use to replace the generic description for this unit type found on the line 5065 of %TotalWarDIR%\mods\Third_Age\data\text\export_units.txt

.MESH file epm_ug1_lod0.mesh goes to %TotalWarDIR%\mods\Third_Age\data\unit_models\_units\en_lmail_hmail\

.texture files for meshes (Eriador_militia_ug1.texture and Eriador_militia_ug1_normal.texture) go to %TotalWarDIR%\mods\Third_Age\data\unit_models\_units\en_lmail_hmail\textures

.texture file for attachmentset Final_Eriador_light_diff.texture goes to %TotalWarDIR%\mods\Third_Age\data\unit_models\attachmentsets

If, by chance, you want to use these instead of the originals and not as armor upgrade versions, you need to rename epm_ug1_lod0.mesh, Eriador_militia_ug1.texture and Eriador_militia_ug1_normal.texture to epm_lod0.mesh, Eriador_militia.texture and Eriador_militia_normal.texture and then replace respective files. In that case you could place .tga files in %TotalWarDIR%\mods\Third_Age\data\ui\unit_info\turks\ and %TotalWarDIR%\mods\Third_Age\data\ui\units\turks

Enjoy!

I know uv maps are a bit strange but I’ll fix this and to second armor upgrade version as soon as I find out how to transfer uv mapping from Maya 2008 to the game. I need an answer to the following question:

PS………Question for the modding gurus

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...89#post5335889

I'm re-upping this as it was lost in the recent crash.

Default Re: Eriador Suburb militia reskinned: Armor Upgrade I

I like it

Looks quite good! Nice work. Any chance of a bigger picture so we can see the details?
    Also, be aware that DisgruntledGoat is in the process of redoing the entire faction.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Nice,really nice colours!

axnsan's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by PerXX View Post
    Looks quite good! Nice work. Any chance of a bigger non edited picture so we can see the details?