Thread: help me salvage my game please

DrwHem's Avatar Tiro

Default help me salvage my game please

I may have just wasted 70 turns. Im playing as prussia..barely. It took me forever but i finally saved enough money to build an army and attack hannover and the rhineland. the problem is with the mods ridiculous unhappiness boosts i can not conquer anyone and live. ive already reverted back to an old save game 4 times and im not doing it 5. If i take hannover things calm down after about 15 turns. then i take my army out and take the rhineland. as soon as i attack the rhineland poland declares war on me. its a different turn each time so i think they can somehow see what im doing. this means i have my main field army(which is all you can afford with 3 freaking territories) stuck in the rhineland. the rhineland goes through about 4 rebellions which is absurd. while im stuck in the rhineland poland wipes out berlin and all my other cities because i cant afford to have strong garrisons casue of this education costs BS which is 2 times higher than the AI.

Is there any way i can go into the files and edit the unhappiness and drop it back down to its original level? cause at this point it ceased being challenging and just entered i may never play this game again.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Default Re: help me salvage my game please

Quote Originally Posted by DrwHem View Post
    I may have just wasted 70 turns. Im playing as prussia..barely. It took me forever but i finally saved enough money to build an army and attack hannover and the rhineland. the problem is with the mods ridiculous unhappiness boosts i can not conquer anyone and live. ive already reverted back to an old save game 4 times and im not doing it 5. If i take hannover things calm down after about 15 turns. then i take my army out and take the rhineland. as soon as i attack the rhineland poland declares war on me. its a different turn each time so i think they can somehow see what im doing. this means i have my main field army(which is all you can afford with 3 freaking territories) stuck in the rhineland. the rhineland goes through about 4 rebellions which is absurd. while im stuck in the rhineland poland wipes out berlin and all my other cities because i cant afford to have strong garrisons casue of this education costs BS which is 2 times higher than the AI.

Is there any way i can go into the files and edit the unhappiness and drop it back down to its original level? cause at this point it ceased being challenging and just entered i may never play this game again.
    First, what are the difficulty you are playing in the game? Battle and Campaign.

Second, did you make any adjustments to the difficulty in the TI_Prefs.lua file?
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Seraph07's Avatar Semisalis

Yes open up your ti_prefs folder, and change difficulty from 0 to -1. The mod is designed to make gameplay more difficult and realistic. Maybe you should try and play at an easier setting before bashing it

I also recommend starting your first APE: TI campaign on m/m inside the game as well.

There are a LOt of new things to get used to.

If anyone would like I can upload my current savegame to give you an idea of what is possible in the game!

EDIT:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/24246579...ummer_1735.zip
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; June 08, 2009 at 10:26 PM.

DrwHem's Avatar Tiro

I always play medium campaign hard battles as prussia. anything higher than medium as prussia is just a quick game.

I always play medium campaign hard battles as prussia. anything higher than medium as prussia is just a quick game.
    I would point out that changing the battle difficulty merely adds bonuses to the AI troops!

They do NOT get any smarter only gain unfair advantages over the player!

With the bonuses to their troops and troops so precious in APE: TI you are already at an unfair advantage when it comes to fighting -- you might also check out Alpaca's thread on the first few turns of APE: TI.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes!
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; June 09, 2009 at 12:55 AM.

Agreed try a different difficulty setting, Tried a game on Hard campaign setting as Spain, an within 2 years i was getting my butt kicked, and my economy was on the brink of lookin 2009.

this is a Good Thing, alot of TW gamers are used to a harder more strategic games, and APE TI delivers.

Congrats on the makers for really adding a nice balance of complexity and difficulty to ETW.

Quote Originally Posted by l33tl4m3r View Post

If anyone would like I can upload my current savegame to give you an idea of what is possible in the game!

EDIT:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/24246579...ummer_1735.zip
    That's an interesting look into the mind of the modder.

I noticed you have a lot of allies, but not protectorates. Any reason for this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Indus_Valley View Post
    That's an interesting look into the mind of the modder.

I noticed you have a lot of allies, but not protectorates. Any reason for this ?
    I'm a fan of coalition wars so I like to have a lot of allies. Should myself or any of the other factions get into a war there is a good chance it will trigger a large conflict.

Allies vs protectorates also allows for more autonomy from your allies -- they will start their owns wars and such at their whim.

What I then like to do, if you notice Prussia is a pretty defined country on the map, is take regions from the people I am at war with and then trade them back for peace and trade.

I continue to do this with any other method I can come across to stop the wars, retake any lost regions, and build new power sets in the region.

This gives me time in between wars to quell any resistance in the region, retrain armies, and accumulate some wealth.

DrwHem's Avatar Tiro

is there any real logic behind the AI behavior on the campaign map. Im prussia. The netherlands like me A LOT and the pole are indifferent. If i send my army tot he east the pole declare war. If i send my army to the west the netherlands decalre war. Ive tried bribes, alliance offers, and multiple reloads and this always happens. Also im still at war with wesfalia due to the bug that makes minor faction diplomacy impossible. wtf. being in the middle is gay.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

is there any real logic behind the AI behavior on the campaign map. Im prussia. The netherlands like me A LOT and the pole are indifferent. If i send my army tot he east the pole declare war. If i send my army to the west the netherlands decalre war. Ive tried bribes, alliance offers, and multiple reloads and this always happens. Also im still at war with wesfalia due to the bug that makes minor faction diplomacy impossible. wtf. being in the middle is gay.
    Well the problem is that vanilla makes for 30 unhappiness in a capital region, so Rhineland and the other small German states shouldn't be conquered until your second front is secure.

The first option would be to make them your protectorates - you get some money from them and they won't attack you. You're free to wage war against Poland then and it's probably the easiest solution to the problem. The other option is to make do with what you have: conquer Rhineland if you must (even though I'd conquer some settlements from Poland first) and move half the stack to the east where Poland just attacked you. Bribe the UP into an alliance and they'll probably not attack you. A half stack with a few replenishments from time to time is sufficient to suppress a few rebellions if you fight yourself. In the east just defend against Poland, stay in your cities where you'd get the free units when attacked and let them pillage the countryside of East Prussia, take it like a man

Prussia is also one of the harder factions to play. It's not a shame to play on easy (script or campaign difficulty), either.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

DrwHem's Avatar Tiro

well i just let it play out. After defeating the 5 units the UP sent against me they offered peace immediately..so im confused as to why they even attacked. Poland was also decisively defeated at silecia and i took it with no issues since i turn resistance down to 20. Then they sued for peace as well. Now its only denmakr im at war with and they are a minor faction and thus wont ever accept peace. the problem is i get ALL my profits from trade routes overseas and denmark has a huge navy for only 3 territories and i have 7 ships total lol. So we are playing tag along the north sea to keep my trade routes open.

well i just let it play out. After defeating the 5 units the UP sent against me they offered peace immediately..so im confused as to why they even attacked. Poland was also decisively defeated at silecia and i took it with no issues since i turn resistance down to 20. Then they sued for peace as well. Now its only denmakr im at war with and they are a minor faction and thus wont ever accept peace. the problem is i get ALL my profits from trade routes overseas and denmark has a huge navy for only 3 territories and i have 7 ships total lol. So we are playing tag along the north sea to keep my trade routes open.
    I was playing as france too and the danish navy was huge too what i did was make several minor nations my protectorates and over time they destroyed that small navy!

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

The Danish navy won't have anything larger than a sixth rate, nothing a few fourth and fifth couldn't handle easily even in 2:1 situations.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.