Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A Guide to the Ottoman Empire

Default Re: A Guide to the Ottoman Empire

Ok Austria, Georgia, Persia and France have all declared on me. Its Turn 3. What do I do? N.B. just mauled the Austrian invasion force.
    "Advice for the day: If you have a headache, do what it says on the aspirin bottle: Take two, and KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN."

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
    Hi everyone.
    I am playing Ottoman empire in World domination at very hard settings for both battle anda campaign.

And now board this armies into dhows. Set sail to MYSORE. Land and invade Mysore. Remember, not Maratha, Mysore. When mysore is conquered, directly and without warning, attack carnatica. After 20 turns Maratha will be defeated. You will have at least 4 regions in Indıa. Your surplus of money will be 15.000. And then enjoy the game!
    I couldn't land in Mysore as it doesn't have a PORT yet. My army auto assaulted through nearest Maratha port and ba-da-bing I was at war with them...

How did you force land your army at Mysore without invading a Maratha port?

Jammer

Indefinitely Banned

Great Guide.
    I actually started playing Empire tw only recently and began with the Ottoman Empire because I wanted only one theater of war, and this guide really helped me.

Reps+
    Last edited by Morbius Sire; October 02, 2010 at 04:58 PM.
    If you rep me, please leave your username so I can rep back
    Formerly known as Sarry. and My Political Profile!

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

I finally manage to finish my first campaign as Prussia after 300+ hours on H/H. Now I'm thinking on playing as the Ottomans. Should I go as H/H too as I was struggling on H/H as Prussia (economically) or maybe I should play M/M as the Ottomans ? Is this guide still work for current version of ETW ??

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Good guide. I play defensively for awhile with the Ottomans. Everyone declares war on me though. I have a difficult time playing the Ottomans. I'm actually playing them now. I'll try starting over and taking Kiev first. The Ottomans are the only faction I have to win with left in the game.
    Last edited by Mountain_Commander; October 21, 2010 at 02:17 PM.

Possibly the most frustrating, tit-for-tat campaigns I've ever played.

The first problem is that we get the worlds worst sultan (-10 diplomacy!!!!!) Within 10 years almost every faction on the map will simply hate you. In order to get rid of him, the only option is to engineer a revolution and that's going to mean that EVERY faction WILL hate you. I miss the days of Rome and Med where you could send out your faction leader on a boat and have him sunk by rebels. Ahhhhh.

Anyhow, I gave it a try.

I gave Moldavia to the Austrians in return for an alliance. 'Great', I thought, now I'll be protected from the Russians and the Austrians are my buddies. WRONG! Austria back-stabbed me straight away. I wittled down all of their Balkan provinces until they had only Hungary and Vienna then offered them a province and they still wouldn't sign a peace treaty. They are the scum of the ETW universe. It's a real shame vienna is full of troops or I'd shut them up forever.

Aside from that ,the circle jerk that comes from Ottomans -> Georgia -> Dagestan -> Persia is headache inducing. Georgia just won't settle down, it's revolted 3 times. Dagestan churns out troops and for some reason they get Western style line infantry and regiments of cavalry whilst I get scared villagers and shirtless retards.

France DOW me and landed on Palestine, with 3 units, but it was enough as I had 0 in that province and 0 troops in the levant at all.

I've spent so many turns training and re-training units that my economy is fecked, I've got 8 or 9 factions against me, I have no decent units available and Persia just won't die.

I'm considering gifting all of my regions to the various Native tribes and sending my remaining troops on a very long trip to West Indies for some R&R. They've earned it.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

For King or Country - The English civil wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Of Crunk View Post
    You can get Dagestan as Protectorate for 1000 and Georgia for 1200.
    I'm not sure which version you are playing, but it's widely accepted that it's impossible to get any Protectorates without knocking the stuffing out of them first. Even then, you have to walk a tight-rope and give them cash in exchange for the privilege.

Cheers
    "I don't want to sit around Windsor because ermm .. I just generally don't like England that much" - Prince Harry, 3rd in Line for the British Thrown

After reading this AAR (which happens to be as much a guide as an AAR) ...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=296350

... I've had much greater fortune.

The double revolution (low class revolution taking you from Monarchy to republic followed by an upper class revolution taking you from republic to constitutional monarchy) means you get to dump Mustafa II with his -10 diplomacy and replace him with Mustafa III with +8 diplomacy. The negative impact on diplomacy caused by having a different government type is much reduced with a constitutional monarchy in comparison to a republic. Once you fix that huge diplomatic imbalance you can't go wrong.

While having to exempt a lot of regions from tax for 5 or 6 turns is a drag, there is one huge financial benefit to revolutions. The rebel stacks that are created when a revolution occurs are built for free. If you can prevent too many losses during the 2 sieges (which is easy because the government only spawns about 3 units in Istanbul) then you come out of that turbulent period with almost an entire stack, and it cost you nothing.

I threw this stack (along with the other 4 or 5 units you start with in the west) onto a Brig and sent it straight across the black sea. A turn later and Georgia was mine. Dagestan instantly asked for peace and even gifted me so money. I was then free to start busting-up Persia, which was easy as by that time I had created a 3/4 stack in Baghdad and my northern army was still together. Persia fell after I took Azerbaijan and Estafan and spawned Afghanistan which I keep financially poor via raiding.

In the west, swapping Morea for Bosnia with the Venetians has worked great. I gave Moldavia to the Prussians and Serbia to the Swedes. After 30 turns both Sweden and Prussia have remained as allies and Austria has not once entered any of my regions. I've been raiding Russia and I will soon start to capture some of their regions. Each region will be turned to dust and my stack will move on. Hopefully the Khanate will re-emerge at which point I'll give them as much tech and money as I can afford.

It might be time to start thinking about propping up the Mughals as I don't fancy holding off the Indian horde that will be coming. Sods law dictates they'll be coming at the same point as one of the major European powers will take an interest in my lands so a long term defense strategy is needed.

Cheers and thanks for the guide.

How do you switch to a republic?

Let the peasants revolt. Raise taxes for the lower classes. Exempt regions other then your capital from tax. Remover all units from your capital. When the rebellion occurs you will have the option to side with the rebels. When you win the new government is a republic.
    Officer to a soldier who refuses to fight: There three types of soldiers who don't have to fight. They are called KIA, MIA and POW and you are not one of them.

Tosa will be missed.

Hi everyone,

I'm playing the long campaign with the Ottomans and I'm trying to achieve a double revolution right from the start.

It works fine but the sultan I end up with in the constitutional monarchy can sometimes have dissapointing or even lousy attributes.

Do you know if the attributes are given randomly (in which case I just need to try and try again...) or are there certain factors that influence how great the new sultan/king will be?

thx

and happy new year too

Indefinitely Banned

It's random.

ok! Thanks very much! I also had some same problems!

panzer 4's Avatar Domesticus

what ever u do, don't play as a republic! as an absolute monarchy i conquered all of Europe (and made Rome 100% muslim?) and as a constitutional monarchy i reached the gates of Boston. but as a republic, i couldnt even get past Vienna! (had India though so thats game complete)

im playing as them right now and dont have any of the economic probles everyone else seams to have i almost rolled in 8 or 9k in my first 3 turns
    its actually only 1708 and me and austria are declared as very friendly to each other
    i chose to go after GB in the trade game, so their friends became mine and their friends and so on, i was actually able to get a trade agreament with austria just about 3 turns in (this is on m/m btw)
    still at war with russia, reinforced moldava with a decent stack so if they try anything ill be there waiting
    and russia every turn asks me for either serbia or egypt i place for peace
    goeorgia declared war on me already but im striking them as we speak. my powerhouse cities are istanbul obviosly, and baghdad... im kinda leaving anatola alone, its in the middle of the nation.
    baghdad is almost as nasty as istanbul now and is cranking out alot of units to smash into persia before they can do anything
    ive noticed im trying to set up trade routes around africa and west india and there are ALOT of pirates... im talking probably 2 full stacks all spread out everywhere, and my fleet is most ceartainly not even that strong to take on aminor nation let alone the pirates fleets
    just wish the new patch didnt really dumb down some of the eastern units, maybe they just needed to smarten up others
    *Venienti Occurrite Morbo*
    Meet The Misfortune As It Comes
    -Latin Proverb-

"A house of judgment so divine,"
    "That we burn our brothers!"
    -Unearth - Hail the Shrine-

I've been playing for a while, but just found this site. Thanks for the awesome info!

Gazz's Avatar Miles

Good guide, helped me alot in my Ottoman campaign.

Great job!

Interesting guide. In my campaign I conquered kiev and don voisky (sp) and just gave the regions to the crimean khanate. Venice declared war, and after some initial losses from their surprise attack, i managed to beat them back and capture patras. I had some trouble getting my army too their home region due to the venetian navy but managed to secure military access with the italian states which helped me march north. Austria, Poland, and Prussia are locked in a 3 way war and through trade agreements ive kept austria and poland indifferent towards me. This allowed me to focus my attention to the east. Georgia declared war before persia and their home region has a valuable college so it was essential to conquer them. I then declared war on persia (i rather start wars on my terms). It was great because i just defeated a pirate navy and captured 3 xebecs, so i was easily able to defeat the large persian navy and capture a ton dhows. Now im sustaining powerful trade routes between the east indies and madagascar. One thing that annoyed me was morrocco's retarded invasion of syria. Totally wasnt ready for it and it took me about 10 turns to defeat their army (while my main armies were in persia and russia). Dagestan invaded and took persia before i could counter but right now im just about finished wiping them up and now can turn my attention towards invading india.

Quote Originally Posted by Killergold88 View Post
    im playing as them right now and dont have any of the economic probles everyone else seams to have i almost rolled in 8 or 9k in my first 3 turns
    its actually only 1708 and me and austria are declared as very friendly to each other
    i chose to go after GB in the trade game, so their friends became mine and their friends and so on, i was actually able to get a trade agreament with austria just about 3 turns in (this is on m/m btw)
    still at war with russia, reinforced moldava with a decent stack so if they try anything ill be there waiting
    and russia every turn asks me for either serbia or egypt i place for peace
    goeorgia declared war on me already but im striking them as we speak. my powerhouse cities are istanbul obviosly, and baghdad... im kinda leaving anatola alone, its in the middle of the nation.
    baghdad is almost as nasty as istanbul now and is cranking out alot of units to smash into persia before they can do anything
    ive noticed im trying to set up trade routes around africa and west india and there are ALOT of pirates... im talking probably 2 full stacks all spread out everywhere, and my fleet is most ceartainly not even that strong to take on aminor nation let alone the pirates fleets
    just wish the new patch didnt really dumb down some of the eastern units, maybe they just needed to smarten up others

My campaign has been very similar, except i profited extremely well from the pirates. The three xebecs i captured allowed me to gain an early advantage over the persian (and persian supporting mughal) navies. I didn't need to purchase any dhows at all. I had 11 k on one turn somewhere before year 1708 but since then ive been getting 1-3k a turn. Now im pulling in about 8k from trade alone, and after troop costs are considered, i get about 6k a turn.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast