Thread: Enemy Spies and Assassins

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

Default Enemy Spies and Assassins

I have a problem with a spy in Mediolanum. He is a spy from the Free Cities who are supposedly my allies, I know he is there as every end of turn, he pops out on the Romans turn, but then goes back in on the Free Cities turn.

I have had 3 spies and 2 assassins in the city but I can't seem to find him. He is single-handedly bringing the happiness down such that even at low tax, and building happiness buildings, with a big garrison, it is still at 80% and dropping. If I leave 4 light infantry plus the governor only in, it will drop to 60%. The governor has reasonable influence and management ratings.

I am tempted to pull the army out, raise taxes through the roof and destroy absolutely everything I can (get rid of the last few Greek buildings), wait for it to rebel and then crush the city.

I was wondering though is there any way to actually hunt for a spy or assassin in your own city. If I send a spy or assassin in they just merge, unlike with a foreign city where for example an assassin will accept a mission to kill my own spies. Why can I not do this on my own cities? I would guess that is probably part of the executable but it is very frustrating as I know he is there.

After capturing Mediolanum, it was going along quite nicely with no dissatisfaction until their spy went in, now I can't stop the trouble and can't stop him going back in each end of turn - and as he doesn't stay out of the city, I can't make my assassins hunt him down but I've spent many thousands building it up so don't really want to destroy everything and start again.

Tesla's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Enemy Spies and Assassins

Well you don't have to destroy all the buildings in the city.

Just let it rebel and then take it back, this is what I sometimes do. This way you will retain your buildings..

Administrator Emeritus

OK, there was a reason to destroy everything as some of the buildings are still Greek based which reduce loyalty a little bit. I was thinking if I do intend to let it rebel, I'd destroy everything first then build back with a Roman base. Which is a slightly separate issue, the real issue is still if there is any way to actually root out a spy/assassin if you know they are there without letting the city rebel.

It's just a theory, but maybe the spies you use need to be better than the ennemy spy. The one bothering you seems very good, maybe try to have 7+ spy in the city.
    The governor is also a factor, he can get traits which help.

Had this problem before, totally sympathize it one of those little things with RTW that really annoys me, Why oh why cant you assassinate people in your own settlements....

from personal experience id say you just have to sit it out mate and put some more cheap troops in to keep public order manageable....

King Nud's Avatar Praepositus

check his age, many spies who make order drop a lot normally have very good stats, which require years to get... so he may die soon...
    Staff Writer at KingJamesGospel.com

Arnspac's Avatar Miss You Calvin

Your assassin should spot him especially if you have your own spy in or close to the city. What's the percentage or chance of killing him?
    Cu māndrie, under the Patronage of leif_erikson

There is no disease I spit on more than treachery.

Administrator Emeritus

Nope, he cannot be seen so I cannot check his stats. Once he is in the city, he's invisible. The only time I see him is in the gap between my turn and their turn after hitting the end of turn button.

I have had my top spy and assassin in, both over 7+ on their respective stats but he still can't be seen.

Everyone is out now, city is on VH tax and as soon as it rebels I'll go back in. I had a high stat governor and a full stack in and the city is still only at 80%.

I figure I can either wait for him to die, or I can let the city rebel and take it after that which is what I'm going to do now. I guessed that unfortunately it is just one of those things that you cannot send your own spies and assassins in to your own cities to carry out a mission - let's face it, if we could, some low stat governors would have a very short career!

What drives me the most crazy is plague infested spies. I was playing a Macedon campaign and the stupid plague infested spy from Eperios<sp> went into 3 of my settlements. I try to keep my settlements plague free. There should be a way to stop that nonsense.

Tesla's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by tls5669 View Post
    What drives me the most crazy is plague infested spies. I was playing a Macedon campaign and the stupid plague infested spy from Eperios<sp> went into 3 of my settlements. I try to keep my settlements plague free. There should be a way to stop that nonsense.
    make sure the public health is good, by building baths etc

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    make sure the public health is good, by building baths etc

I did, still got the plague though.

King Nud's Avatar Praepositus

use it too your advantage, recruit a few spies, and send them round every enemy army and settlement you can find, one quick way to reduce their numbers, and if you get it right, you can make cities rebel too!
    Staff Writer at KingJamesGospel.com

PurPul's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by tls5669 View Post
    I did, still got the plague though.
    Train another Spy in that city and give them the Plauge back!