Thread: steam ALX help

Default steam ALX help

(i did try checking the forums for help, but couldnt find anything)

Ok, so i dl DTW, which was awsome! BUt i hear its better on ALX and i didnt have it...so i dl it from steam. I chose the "complet package" which was RTW gold pluse ALX as it was the same price if i was just to get ALX alone. Anyways..

So i uninstalled my previouse RTW files, and installed the new one i got from steam (gold pluse ALX). Then i tried to install DTW again. and nothing but problems ever since!

I finally figured out were the RTW.EXE was for the directory (steamapps --> common), and after the mod installed there are two issues. FIrst the DTW mod icon still say BI...shouldnt it be ALX now that installed ALX? But the main problem is when i click on the DTW icon it says "Failed To Find Steam"

im at my wits end with this thing.

so can someone please kindly explain how do i get DTW to run on the ALX xp and work on steam!

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by yev83; June 07, 2009 at 07:58 PM.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default Re: steam ALX help

You gotta install it to Rom Alexander folder in team apps, not gold.
    Once you DL it there, send the Alx.exe to the desktop, then hit properties, and in the target box, press a space then type - mod:DTW -show:err

thanks for responding emperor, unfortunatly it didnt work

i get an error message:

failed to read censored word dictionary file:data//chat_filter.san

can you maybe provide me with what the full "target" should be starting with the C:
    Last edited by yev83; June 07, 2009 at 11:22 PM.

ok, so the only thing i was able to do, is get DTW to use ALX finally...its actually pretty simple. i simply moved the alx.exe to the rtw gold file...so now after installing dtw the icon says DTW ALX no more DTW BI. But when i click on it, i still get the cant find steam message.

well, i tried pretty much everything i can think of (which isnt really saying much since im not that computer savy), but i just cant get DTW to work on steam. so annoying! I gave up, installed my old RTW on cd's and went back to playing DTW on my BI cd...it crashes from time to time, but still worth putting up with the hassle to play this great mod.

If anyone ever does figure out how to get it to work properly on steam please let me know.

happy hunting

I have still to understand who is the moron that invented Steam (I have 3 games that use it: Half Life 2, Halo 2 and Empire Total War, and NONE of them works properly). Anyway, if you managed to download ALEX from steam, try this. Copy\paste the Alexander folder and the ALX.exe in the folder where you installed RTW and BI with your cds...no idea if this can work...

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Just a hint. All you need is a proper RomeTW-ALX.exe and RTW+BI patched to 1.6 to play DTW on ALX.

copy chat_filter.san from your Alex/data directory to your DTW/data directory.

I use a CD version of vanilla and BI but a steam version of ALX, just use the ALX.exe in your non-steam RTW. Seems to work fine on my pc.

Hakomar's Avatar Ordinarius

Load the game with from the My Games tab.
    Change the launch command as mentioned.
    For some reason Steam doesn't like you launching from anything but desktop or my games.