Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Faction Guerilla

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Default Red Faction Guerilla

Red Faction Guerilla

Yes the game has finally been released on PS3 and Xbox360(the PC version is still in a unknown state as of yet).
    I decided to pick up the PS3 version for this one(I know the picture says Xbox360 but that doesn't matter).
    And I have played it alot since I got it both it's single-player and it's multiplayer.
    So I decided to sit down and write a little review for it.
    Let's start first with the basic.

Story

The story is really quite simple. And if you think "oh no, spoilers", don't worry this you will learn the first 5 minutes into the game.
    It's 2128 and Mars has become a colony under the rule of the EDF.
    You play as Alec Mason. A miner that has just arrived to Mars after the death of his father.
    You are greated by your brother who tried to settle down there.
    However as soon as you arrive you will notice things are a bit off and your brother quickly fills you in.
    The EDF are simply up to no good. Kidnappping people, executions, torture etc etc.
    You also find out that the Red Faction is up and running in Mars with the full intent on liberating it from the cruel hands of the EDF and that your brother has joined them.
    After a quick search for scrap, your brother is brutally gunned down by a gunship and you are branded as a red faction member and is about to get executed before the RF saves your butt.
    You take up arms with the RF and set off on your mission to make Mars the paradise it was suppose to be.

The story is as simple as it gets. Unfortunately it's pretty weak.
    While Alec is a person you can easily relate too but the other characters however leaves much to be desired. There are some plot turns here and there but again overall, nothing special.
    So overall a weak story with overall uninteresting characters.

Gameplay

Now if anyone has ever played any of the red faction games before you will know what you are in for.
    Complete and utter destruction and this game does not fail in this regard.
    The game is a sandbox game and there are 6 sectors on Mars that you need to liberate.
    To do so you will have to complete missions.
    There is the standard story missions which will drive the story forward and there are side-missions.
    The side-missions vary from raiding with a group, protect areas, free hostages, destroy supply convoys and so on.
    In order to liberate a sector you have to drop the EDF's control over the area and at the same time raise the people's morale. Killing civilians naturally lowers the morale so watch your fire. Generally you don't have to think about that.
    Just do the missions and don't kill civilians and you will be fine.
    The side-missions can get a bit repeatitive it's saved by the game's amazing destruction.

Yes not enough can be said about the destruction.
    Everything except the terrain can be blown to bits and it's all down in real-time.
    The buildings all have physics to them and will come down based on where you do damage in a realistic manner and it's rare you will see the same type of building come down the same way thanks to this.
    Put explosives on the right places and you will bring the building without wasting too much explosives.
    Put them in the wrong places and you will find yourself out of explosives and the building still standing.
    Now you might think, "oh it's only explosives that does the job", no it's not.
    If you have no explosives then go find yourself a vehicle, the bigger the better and ram the building.
    You haven't lived until you take a truck and rammed it through a barracks, I'm just saying.
    And if there are no vehicles around then Alec always has his trust sledgehammer with him which can also be used just fine.
    However watch out, debris will hurt or even kill you.
    Just because half the building is still standing doesn't mean it will do so forever. It might start crumbling down by it's own weight.

The guns in the game are your standard weapons. There is the pistol, machine-gun, shotgun, rocket launcher etc.
    My favorite weapon and is the game's more unique weapon is the Nano rifle will deconstruct anything it hits. Humans, vehicles and even buildings.
    Overall the weapons got a nice feel to them.

As mentioned before you also have vehicles. It's a big map afterall and would be boring if you had to walk.
    The vehicles have a nice look to them and handles differently.
    They also has their own weight to them.
    If you try ramming a building with a light sportscar and you will find that you barely make a dent in the building but pick up a truck or a APC and you will find yourself cutting through the building like a hot knife through butter.
    There are also walkers scattered around. These vehicles are heavily armored wrecking vehicles really.
    Using the shoulder buttons and triggers you swing it's arms(or rockets) and cause heavy damage.
    They are rare however and most of the time you get them when doing mission but you can still find them even when not on a mission.

When you destroy buildings or vehicles you can pick up scrap metal from them.
    With scrap metal you can purchase upgrades for Alec like stronger weapons, the ability to have more explosives, better armor and more.
    These upgrades are unlocked by doing side-missions so there are a good reason to actually do these if not for the morale/control thingy.
    There are also crystals scattered all over the map, hit them with your hammer or whatever and they will drop red crystals. These counts as scrap metal as well and alot more profitable.

Now you might think, does the morale and control matter that much ??
    Yes it does.
    Since most of the side-missions takes place in populated areas and the EDF rarely let's you blow up their buildings without a fight having extra guns is useful.
    Some people even come from a nearby road and most the time their vehicles will cause mayhem or help block off EDF reinforcement.

The AI in this game is ruthless.
    While it's not the smartest it's aim is very good and will fill you full of holes very fast even on normal difficulty level.
    While they won't do anything if you are just driving around or walking around however as soon as you start shooting, walk into a restricted area(which most EDF targets are) or just happen to touch their vehicles with your car they will open fire.
    While a firefight with a few soldiers will not be a problem, reinforcement are never far away and the longer you stay in that area the heavier the reinforcement. And if you are being really stubborn tanks will be brought in. But it's rare that you survive that long. Thankfully the health regenerates.
    When the heat is on your best bet is to find a vehicle and head for the nearest RF safehouse where you are safe and will remove the heat off you.

Overall in the gameplay area the game really shines.
    The destruction is unmatched, the gunplay is solid and the weapons are fun and you will exprience some intense firefights thanks to the aggressive AI and morale system.

Graphics

As mentioned the game has 6 sections you need to liberate.
    Each section has it's own distinct look with differently looking buildings and vehicles.
    However you are on Mars, the red planet. Even if some areas looks more green, the sectors are still overall redish.
    Despite this the graphics holds up and looks good.
    As does the effects and seems to maintain a steady framerate 90% of the time even during heavy firefights and heavy destruction.
    It dips occasionally but again overall it's fine.

Sound

Voice acting is most part decent and sound effects like explosions, gunfire etc are great.
    My favorite however is the EDF radio station.
    Pretty much in any town or RF stronghold you will find that everyone is listening to the same EDF sponsored radio station.
    On this station you will hear a lady report on the latest action you did however since it's a EDF station she will twist everything you do so that it's in EDF's favour.
    I don't know I just enjoyed that.
    The music is fitting and sometimes very nice.

Multiplayer

I saw some gameplay videos of it's multiplayer and to me it felt like it was just thrown in there because every game has to have multiplayer these days however I couldn't be more wrong.
    Alot of work has gone into this and is a joy to play.
    The destruction is still there and you have your standard deathmatch, team deathmatch, CTF and some that takes more advantage of the destruction like demolition.
    In Demolition you are 2 teams, one member in each team is designated demolition man. The DM's job is to destroy as much as possible, everytime you punch a hole in something you get a point so your job is just to get as much points as possible while your teammates has to both protect you(if the DM dies another member is picked as DM) and to repair the buildings using a special gun.
    If you are not a DM you don't get points for destroying things.
    There are more modes that uses the destruction however I just wanted to point that one out.
    16 players is max and overall it feels right due to the size of the maps and there are no vehicles.

However there are backpacks, now these things are loads of fun.
    There are several different backpacks you can get such as jetpacks, a pack that makes you run faster, one that heals you and anyone close to you but you also have some more offensive packs.
    For example Rhino which enables you to run through anything in your path inclueding buildings and people.
    Or Tremor which causes a earthquake which is good for making buildings crumble.
    And these packs aren't one-time, you just have to wait a short time before using them again.
    There are more of course but just wanted to go more in-depth with a few.

And when you kill things or complete objectives you gain XP and with XP you unlock weapons and other playable characters for MP.

Overall I'm very impressived with the MP and is really enjoying it.

Conclussion

RF:G had the potential to fail big but thankfully it didn't.
    While it has a weak story and landscape that is pretty similar throughout, the destruction just makes it all worth it.
    Put this together with a AI that can kick your butt even on Normal difficulty level and a fairly long single player campaign as well and you got yourself a game that you will have alot of fun playing.
    And if you finished the single-player there is a very good multiplayer to go along with it.
    So I give it a 8.5/10 and recommend it to anyone who loves to blow things up.
    There is a demo available on Xbox Live and PSN.

Last edited by God-Emperor of Mankind; June 07, 2009 at 05:37 PM.

Default Re: Red Faction Guerilla

Oh if only I had the money .

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

Just becuase it was PS3 I was going to say the review was . But I actually read all of it and loved it nice review +rep might actually get this game. But you never said if it was a FPS (i'm guessing it is)

EDIT: can't give you rep, i need to spread it around (omg I gave someone rep )
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Yes it is I'ved played it and I love it. Nice review btw TB666.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
    Just becuase it was PS3 I was going to say the review was . But I actually read all of it and loved it nice review +rep might actually get this game. But you never said if it was a FPS (i'm guessing it is)
    Knew it was something I missed.
    It's actually a TPS(third-person shooter).

raistlinmajere8's Avatar Ordinarius

Spot on review. You should have mentioned difficulty more though haha.

When I play a game I instantly go for the hardest difficulty setting possible. This game's Hard and Insane does not fail. They will give you A LOT of challenge.

Also, for getting achievements on the 360 version you get "cheats" you can use.

Sidmen's Avatar Mangod of Earth

For those wondering, its a third person game with vehicles; sort of like the Mercenaries Series.. But on Mars.

Good Review BTW.
    "For the humble doily is indeed the gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!"

~Sidmen, Member of the House of Wilpuri, Patronized by pannonian

Danny_K_1's Avatar Praefectus

Good review can't really find any flaws with it.

Awesome game BTW.

Indefinitely Banned

The EDF radio service is really cool. I love hearing about my exploits from the point of view of the EDF.
    Also, car bombs are awesome.
    I hope there are more games where you get to play as terrorists.

Angrychris's Avatar Primicerius

Yes terrorism is fun indeed.

Leave it to the modder to perfect the works of the paid developers for no profit at all.

Maximus_54's Avatar Miles

The acting is pretty cheesy....I havent played online but i bet its great.

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by Angrychris View Post
    Yes terrorism is fun indeed.
    omg, I think I just saw Navy Seals coming to your house
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Good review TB but I must throw my two cents in to conflict with the overall warm and fuzzy feeling everyone has for this game...

Yes, it is fun, it is really cool, and it is awesome...but only for about 5 hours.

I didn't finish the game - I didn't have the concern to...the game was very fun at the start but after awhile the game just felt repetitive and boring. The story was incredibly weak and the characters were so incredibly flat it was sickening...plus even though I know Mars is a desert-like planet and such and in the game it's being used for mining I just couldn't escape that bland and boring feeling I also found on the abandoned, side mission worlds of Mass Effect.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Got to play htis Game, Good Review. I like the nano rifle as well - it's my favorite. The sequel doesn't look very good though.

Also, have you noticed they ripped off Call of Duty and Halo in Some respects? EDF Tanks all have basically the same base and treads as the Scorpion Tanks. Alec Mason is awful close to Alex Mason form Black Ops. The Rocket Launcher looks similar to the Missile pod from Halo 3. The EDF Gunship is Pretty much the Hawk from Halo Wars, and the Assault Rifle is ripped off from the Starship Troopers Movie.

No, it didn't really get ripped off of anything. It came out before Black Ops, and all the weapons and vehicles are clearly inspired by Red Faction 1 and Red Faction 2, which came out before Halo even existed.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Yeah Red Faction Guerilla is a bit older then Black Ops so very hard for them to rip off Black Ops, it's more the other way around.
    I can't say anything about the others however since it's been so long since I played Red Faction 2 that I can hardly remember it.
    As for the machine gun, well there is some similarities to Starship Troopers but it's not a rip off as the RFG one was more straight in the design and it doesn't have a shotgun built in.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

True, true, and yes bolkonsky, I see your point there. Also, when did the first one come out again???

Gosh, probably ten years ago if I had to guess.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Quote Originally Posted by ☧ Flavius Aëtius ☧ View Post
    True, true, and yes bolkonsky, I see your point there. Also, when did the first one come out again???
    2001. Yep, I played it and beat it back then.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Both the EDF gunship and UNSC Hawk are just the generic "Attack helicopter without the rotors" that appear in pretty much every futuristic military setting, and they all look basically the same.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast