Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Sub-mod: Campaign for BoA 2.0! (Outdated, see Download Thread)

Alex1987's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Sub-mod: Campaign for BoA 2.0!

where am i suppose to put the data folder when i download this?
    to folder BOA.
    Candidate of sociological sciences. RUSSIAN LIBERAL OPPOSITIONIST AND ACTIVIST.

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1987 View Post
    to folder BOA.
    Hi Alex, I have a clean install RTW 1.5 with a clean BoA on top. I inserted your data folder but 1) my campaign menu is messed up ... with single dots instead of options, only option visible and only one that works is custom battles).

When I find the campaign "dot" the map is the Italian Paeninsula one with three factions for three Roman factions.

Nothing else works.

Please advise was really looking forward to trying out the fruits of your hard work
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Alex1987's Avatar Tiro

Obi Wan Asterix,

I inserted your data folder but 1) my campaign menu is messed up ... with single dots instead of options, only option visible and only one that works is custom battles).

When I find the campaign "dot" the map is the Italian Paeninsula one with three factions for three Roman factions.

Nothing else works.

Please advise was really looking forward to trying out the fruits of your hard work
    You must put data, what included my archive, to this adress - D:\Games\RomeTW_BI\BOA with replacing files and folders. You should see the following:

Choose Imperial Campaign:

Last edited by Alex1987; June 17, 2009 at 12:32 PM.

So yeah I overslept a couple times this week. really needed to catch up after last week, and this particular part is taking longer than I expected. So I haven't been able to finish traits yet but work is ongoing. Imagawa and Takeda are done, and I just finished a the first long-run test from start to finish. I was playing as rebels so as to watch how the other factions managed.

The results were very interesting. Imagawa was gone pretty quick, as the Shimazu and Oda are dominant early on and Imagawa is split between two areas. Rather than strengthing Imagawa I need to weaken those two to make it fair. Mori and Uesugi fell to Takeda and Hojo mid game surges. Then for a long time it was a dead even battle between shimazu, takeda, oda, and hojo before the two Eastern clans finally won out. Intruiginly, Takeda eventually came to dominant the West while Hojo the East, and Shimazu began to consolidate themselves on Kyushu much as the historical Shimazu did. What I found most ironic is that the different clans seemed to focus on the areas that they historically did. Imagawa land was divided between Eastern and Central powers. Shinano was the frontline for Eastern battles. Western powers sought to consolidate the entire Southern peninsula. and far off Mutsu and Dewa tended to remain independant.

In the end Takeda won, though they did so without completely eliminating the Hojo family. I need to check the files to see if that was an error or not. The game lasted to about 1650, though it was more or less decided around 1630. Rebel spawn rates seemed reasonable, though there were two issues. The initial rebel forces need to beefed up again, they fell a bit too quickly. Mid-late game alot of cities rebelled (Which isn't surprising) and each time the size of the rebellion was large enough to force the AI to commit their forces internally, which really dragged things out for a while. Naval forces seemed just about right... Oda, Shimazu and Mori (while they were aroud) were teh dominant navies as they should be. Epithets, sub_factions, and general faction lines worked as expected... no clone character CTDs, and by the end of the game I had seen the majority of the large number of names I added. I do need to figure out a better way to do rebel names... they are currently using the Imagawa factions list which is kinda odd... since many of the Imagawa retainers became the rulers in the Edo Period.

Anyhow, assassins also worked correctly but I realized pretty quickly that emmissaries are missing, despite buildings being capable of producing them. Rebel archers have the ninja's skin for some odd reason, though it didn't cause any errors or CTDs. Thats it for today, I'll really try to pull through the rest of the factions' traits tomorrow. Influence and Personality is taking the longest because there is the least information available for the historical characters. We know about their military and governing abilities, but very little about most generals traits.

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1987 View Post
    Obi Wan Asterix,

You must put data, what included my archive, to this adress - D:\Games\RomeTW_BI\BOA with replacing files and folders. You should see the following:

Choose Imperial Campaign:

Thanks you Aelxis!!! I managed great work . I like the diverse units for different factions. I really think you should add a couple more factions, add diplomats and assassins, and allow for buildings which lower upkeep cost (to lengthen the campaign by increasing garrissons)

Best!
    Toni
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Reverend Scott's Avatar Senator

Alex-

Thanks for making this-you have given me a reason to finally download and play BoA! I've been waiting for years for a campaign. Downloading everything now.

+1 rep.
    www.samsarra.com
    iTunes:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id498281682?ign-mpt=uo%3D5
    Proud Beta tester for 300 Warlords of Sparta
    Proud Beta tester for Hic Est Lacedaemon
    Proud Beta tester for British East India Company - The Indian Mutiny (BEIC)
    Proud Beta tester for American Civil War - The Blue and the Grey 2.65-3.0

I'm not in the position to add factions, but I am working on enabling Diplomats and Assassins. Actually Assassins already exist though I haven't tested to see if all factions can use them. They come from the same building that produces Ashigaru Teppo, I have trained a few myself and also seen the AI deploying at least one. Diplomats can be produced by the Government Building but the unit itself is missing, working to fix that once I finish traits.

I am considering solutions to the high squalor/garrison costs as well. I will be lowering the farm value for most provinces, though certain ones (Owari, Mutsu, Kaga, Musashi in particular) will remain high as they should. Hmm Upgrade buildings that lower upkeep costs isn't a bad idea, gotta find out how to do that. Alternatively I could add squalor bonuses to high level buildings... wouldn't decrease garrison costs but reduce the need for large garrisons.

After playing some fifty or so turns into a Mori campaign, I have discovered that their final recruitment tree is far short of the units available for a custom battle. No horse archers are available to the Mori, only basic katana and naginata Samurai are also available. Also only the second tier of cavalry is available, no elites at all. Why is this?

After starting a new game I have discovered that the Shimazu have the same problem. In fact the only difference between the Shimazu and the Mori recruitment tree is that the Shimazu have a musket unit available and the Mori do not. Again, no elite or unique units. How can I fix this?
    Last edited by austere; June 18, 2009 at 05:16 PM.

I'm not on my home computer so I can't confirm it, but I have had no problem with it. The buildings exist to produce all troops in game, the units exist with the correct permissions. I specifically saw mori naginata elite in the list of units available from the higher tier (4 or 5 I believe) barracks. I made some changes to that file that I will be sharing soon, for instance mori naginata elite will be produced from the government buildings instead... but thats irrelevant for your problem. I'll pull out the unedited file tonight and check to see.

I should say that the original file lacked a couple units that were mistyped, including Shimazu no dachi and one other unique unit... mori sohei I believe. Those mistakes were noticeable though and the fix to the file was simple so I'll look again tonight.

But if you can't wait, the problem is most likely in the export_descr_building file (Again, can't confirm that from here). Under each building level lists the units that each faction can produce from that particular level of building. First make sure that the building is available to the culture (All Japanese factions in BoA are Greek culture), then ensure that your particular factions version of the unit is available from the building to your faction (mori is romans_julii).

Should look something like this: recruit BoA_mori_samelitenaginata requires factions ( romans_julii ). Use the other units listed as reference, as the game is VERY sensitive to formating, spelling, and capitalization.
    Last edited by Hayami Kagemusha; June 18, 2009 at 05:31 PM.

For all factions, I only have up to the fourth tier for any building except governors residences, walls, and markets. Im going to re-apply the campaign addon to see if that works.

EDIT: I know how to use export_descr_building, but I do not know how to add the missing units to it. Upon reapplying the new campaign sub mod I still do not have tier 5 barracks, stables, or archery ranges available. Only have a couple buildings to tier 5 in fact, besides walls and governors palace.
    Last edited by austere; June 18, 2009 at 10:38 PM.

Just checked the unedited file, it is what I suspected. The fifth level of many buildings are not available to the BoA culture, which is Greek. Don't be fooled by its availability to romans, you need to add the greek culture at the top of each level. Also, I feel stupid now but I just noticed why Diplomats aren't available... they are listed as available to roman culture not greek. Just fixed that and about to test it, we'll see how it goes.

*edit* All factions have been checked, all units are present including assassins and emissaries. This is for my editing file, emissaries and a few select units are missing from the unedited, along with 5th level buildings as mentioned above. Mori family characters are finished as well, working on Shimazu now

I am also considering removing most of the normal epithets. I don't like it when Kenshin Uesugi becomes "Kenshin the Builder" or crap like that, especially if its a character I went out of my way to make an epithet for (and most of those characters were famous heroes, so they earn a title pretty quickly). If I do, will those epithets be missed? I will probably keep the most significant ones which are hard to achieve, such as maxing out command talent.
    Last edited by Hayami Kagemusha; June 19, 2009 at 03:40 AM.

Alex1987's Avatar Tiro

Hayami,
    thank you for your testing and improvements of submod! +rep.

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Great work Alex1987, very impressive.

y

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Reverend Scott's Avatar Senator

VERY very nice!! Everything works well- I especially like the buildings!
    www.samsarra.com
    iTunes:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id498281682?ign-mpt=uo%3D5
    Proud Beta tester for 300 Warlords of Sparta
    Proud Beta tester for Hic Est Lacedaemon
    Proud Beta tester for British East India Company - The Indian Mutiny (BEIC)
    Proud Beta tester for American Civil War - The Blue and the Grey 2.65-3.0

Oh well i must say that i once felt dissapointed in the past when i saw this amazing mod hadnt a campaign, but now i cant complain its amazing, but got some things wich are a bit annoying.

First of all, each turn hundreds of rebels suddenly appear everywhere, not that this fact worries me too much, my general with the trait "famous conqueror" and his army of "silver" samurais kill em all each turn, but damn, if i dont kill any in 3 turns i cant even see my city (or also happened couldnt siege those imagawa nubcakes >.<' ), i guess i can lower the rebels just messing with desct_strat, but hell, i had to say it xD.

Secondly, yeah, what you mentionned about squalor, population growing up at 10 or 12% each turn and no sewers nor baths nor anything..... Not that im pissed of recapturing my own rebel citys, just a bit tired, cant spend all my armys killing rebels and not killing those imagaw00bs >.<

Third thing, ummm, as my father said (he just took the oda clan and VH/VH) "an army with just generals can blow up any army, and as i saw its a bit true, infantry hasnt any chance against cavalry, not even naginata spearmen can do anything, perhaps make infantry a bit more powerfull? Its also a bit annoying seeing samurais who resist damage as an army of spartans (63 of defense and 2 hit points omg, and those are the worst) and some attack values that would make peasants laugh, not even 10, hell, its not strange that after 10 minutes theres only 3 guys dead of an army of 4000 (2000 yours and 2000 enemys).

And pointing out something else about the rebels, i also noticed they make impossible any step forward for some factions( like the mori clan, they were in war against the oda and they couldnt exit their cities without being wipped out).

I can also say that i love hos the models are done, not to mention walls, god, i love those stone walls

And i really hope its serious that you found out what happened with diplomats, i wanted to have all name clans on 1 (oda, imagawa, takeda, etc... all on my clan D: ).

Anyway, apart from the great bunch of rebels appearing each turn and the amazing +12% population + a lot of squalor the rest is perfect, i guess some like to overrun armys with their generals as if they were cataphracts, that was my own opinion, but what do you guys think about cavalry overpowered against infantry? Just curious.

Anyway keep that amazing job up, i liked the portraits, tho as my father said "hey that doesnt looks very japanese" (he was talking about some greek portraits still appearing, but i found it funny ).

Alex1987's Avatar Tiro

Unfortunately I had no a lot of time to finish completely campaign creation, therefore still there are Greek portraits and buildings. Probably someone will improve mod, if not, I hope to find a free time to complete it.

Hi there,

I am a latecomer to this mod (& t'internet really!) but it is great to see a re-make of the game that first did it for me! Big praise to the BoA creators, and especially big thanks to Alex1987 for this cracking completion of their efforts! Top notch! Also, thanks in anticipation to Hayami Kagemusha, for what sounds like some serious work going on just to improve my weekends - and possibly ruin the girlfriend's!!

Oh dont worry, almost all adoption & natural sons have a japanese portrait, the only greek general i had was a 18 years old called "the handsome" (so its normal, with that trait he must be greek xD ).

Also dunno why, in all campaigns Hojo and Oda tend to kick asses, always >.<', seeing takeda survive a bit is a miracle, not to mention that the mori clan just survives thnx to me and imagawa being at war, because between all that bunch of rebels and the oda he has never more than 1 unit at each city <.<'

Guess ill have to pick mori 1 day, crush oda 1st of all and see what happens D:

Thanks alex ^^ I will upload what I've got tonight regardless of whether I finish traits or not.

Mr. Layfon all those things have been duly noted and worked on =) Rebel spawning has been fixed, plus the rebels aren't just stacks of ashigaru anymore. Sewers, Public baths, and Aqueducts have been added back in. Still squalor remains high so I'm working on further solutions. I have also noticed the problem with spearmen and cavalry and looking for a way aroudn it, though unit balancing is a low priority for me. Mainly, I don't want to change the units themselves too much as that is the work of the BoA team. I'm going to consult them soon about a couple issues and see what they would like to do about it.

Yup Diplomats are working =) Though unlike assassins there is no new strat map unit for them (Assassins use the ninja skin, complete with bow XD ). I should mention that Emissaries and naval ships could be a tiny bit confusing on the strat map, as they use the faction's original colors (ie, Takeda have purple diplomats and ships, Imagawa is black, Hojo is grey). Irony is you could just switch those around and it would work.

Greek portraits and cards have been removed for living generals only, dead generals and civilians still get greek portraits... I don't have a good alternative at this point. I could also use more portraits as I have a severly limited number (3 young, 3 old, and 5 that work for both). Please use computer rendered or cleanly drawn historic portraits though. Hell good screen shots of Kessen 1/3 or Samurai Warrior's Characters would work... though you would have to resize them for me I'm no good at editing images >.<;

The main thing I'm hestitant to touch are the units and models. Units because I feel I shouldn't alter them much without the team's permission, and models because I have no experience editing or creating models. However, I do have a couple of ideas in mind.... some factions might use an elite yari sam as there are no high level spearmen. Also, I have considered creating a unique daimyo unit for each clan. Currently I have changed the unit used as daimyo for each, but I would like to create a specific one so that I can balance their skills better. I even have a creative idea for a special Hatamato (Bodyguard). As for models, only a couple need to be fixed... rebel archers appear as ninja for some reason, rebel units and pirate ships of all factions need a unit card, Uesugi Horse Archers (Kihei to Yumi) could use a new skin that looks more fitting for their elite status and altered stats. And if you have alot of freetime on your hands, all units could use images for their stat sheet (you know, when you right click on them on the strat map and a picture, description, and stats all show up?). Would be greatly appreciated thanks

Hayami great news on your pending upload!!
    Your efforts in ironing out deficencies and adding your own polish will truly make this excellent sub mod Shine
    +Rep for you good Sir