Thread: [Solved] Fix for weird light infantry behaviour

Default [Solved] Fix for weird light infantry behaviour

Hello all together,

I am not a native english speaker, so please forgive any mistakes.

Some of you may have seen light infantry in "light infantry behaviour" running all close together as soon as they want to shoot at someone. You can easily reproduce this by starting a custom battle, late period, 6 light infantry units for you VS 6 line infantry units for the AI. Your light infantry in "light infantry behaviour" will start running together to start pelot-firing (the same thing happens in campain when you only have the standard firing mode (mass_fire in APE)).

The reason for this are the changed firing drills in APE. In APE they use mass_fire instead of fire_volley like in Vanilla or other mods.

I did some tests and changed their firing drill back to fire_volley - and voila, it worked. No more running together, and even with fire_volley all soldiers still fire their muskets. Imho, there is no reason for mass_fire instead of fire_volley for light infantry units. Also no pelot-firing for light infantry, as it screws up their whole formation.

I hope this helps the creators of this great mod to fix this in an upcoming patch.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Default Re: Fix for weird light infantry behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by Adolith View Post
    Hello all together,

I am not a native english speaker, so please forgive any mistakes.

Some of you may have seen light infantry in "light infantry behaviour" running all close together as soon as they want to shoot at someone. You can easily reproduce this by starting a custom battle, late period, 6 light infantry units for you VS 6 line infantry units for the AI. Your light infantry in "light infantry behaviour" will start running together to start pelot-firing (the same thing happens in campain when you only have the standard firing mode (mass_fire in APE)).

The reason for this are the changed firing drills in APE. In APE they use mass_fire instead of fire_volley like in Vanilla or other mods.

I did some tests and changed their firing drill back to fire_volley - and voila, it worked. No more running together, and even with fire_volley all soldiers still fire their muskets. Imho, there is no reason for mass_fire instead of fire_volley for light infantry units. Also no pelot-firing for light infantry, as it screws up their whole formation.

I hope this helps the creators of this great mod to fix this in an upcoming patch.
    Light Infantry Behavior as well as stakes will be coming out in the next version -- this will correct the issues with the light infantry bunching up while trying to use LIB.

The reason for this actually has nothing to do with the firing drills; we are removing LIB because it breaks skirmish mode and causes the AI light infantry to be very ineffective no matter what firing drill they use.

Stakes are coming out because due to common sense and the path-finding issues with cavalry.

--

Hope this helps, any questions, let us know!
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

I just did another test, late battle. For this battle i gave the euro_light_infantry fire_volley. Prussian jaegers still keep mass_fire. I also deleted the platoon_firing and improved_platoon_firing from all light infantry units.

Me:
    3 prussian jaegers
    3 light infantry

AI:
    6 line infantry

The jaegers with mass_fire clumped together again, as the enemys did get in shooting range. The light infantry with fire_volley did stay in their spread out "light infantry behaviour" formation.

This is very easy to reproduce.

Removing stakes is right, as the stakes really up the AI.

However, i think removing LIB is wrong. The spread out LIB formation is the key advantage line infantry has. The AI may have some issues with it, but they are still a lot harder to hit than in a standard line formation. Especially for artillery.

Yes LIB breaks skirmish mode, but removing LIB also impedes the light infantrys ability to skirmish to an equal or higher degree.

just my 2 cents

boche's Avatar Ordinarius
    mi querida Espańa, Islas canarias/ My beloved Spain, canary islands

i disagree with LIB making light infantry useless and inefficient, light infantry can be skirmished through micromagaement as the skirmish auto is unreliable in my opinion , let skrimishers do the skirmishing.

i also agree with "Adolith"

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by boche View Post
    i disagree with LIB making light infantry useless and inefficient, light infantry can be skirmished through micromagaement as the skirmish auto is unreliable in my opinion , let skrimishers do the skirmishing.

i also agree with "Adolith"
    The problem with the light infantry behaviour is that the AI uses it, but very ineffectively. Since the AI is bad enough as it is, I think we should remove anything that makes it even worse

We'll increase rank and file spacing for light infantry units instead so they will still be harder to hit.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

The removal of LIB also corrects the issue that light infantry have with facings when using the ability.

boche's Avatar Ordinarius
    mi querida Espańa, Islas canarias/ My beloved Spain, canary islands

ok well, fair enough

Seraph07's Avatar Semisalis

Is their a unit cap scipt im not aware of ? Im playing w/ Prussia and my manpower is something like 1400/ 3000, supply limit is full. I tried deleting a few extra units, but nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph07 View Post
    Is their a unit cap scipt im not aware of ? Im playing w/ Prussia and my manpower is something like 1400/ 3000, supply limit is full. I tried deleting a few extra units, but nothing.
    If your supply is maxed-out you have given all the guns, uniforms, ammo, etc. that you have available to your units -- you can no longer recruit units because they have no supplies!

Work on increasing your population, perhaps it's time to annex a neighbor's region?