Thread: Road to Independence in TRoM

Serenissima's Avatar Tiro

Default Road to Independence in TRoM

Having been replaying through the RTI campaign in TRoM today, and got to chapter three, I've noticed a problem which was probably not considered... the "resistance to foreign occupation" that occurs at any time one liberates another colony. As I'm fairly sure that TRoM was not designed to work with the RTI, this is expected, but I wondered if there was any workaround - such as having the colonies in the RTI campaign count as United States lands conquered by Britain, leading to 'resistance to foreign occupation' there?
    Most Serene.

Johan217's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Road to Independence in TRoM

You're right, TROM wasn't designed to work with the RTI campaign. We'll see if we can do anything about it though.
    Rock 'n' roll is the only religion that will never let you down

I don't know of any solution off hand, and have to admit that I though RTI was kind of lame when I played around with it. :=)

Chapter 3 isn't so bad, which is the one I'm talking about now. Chapters 1 and 2 are a bit crap, though. Mostly playing it so I can finally unlock Chapter 4 - though C3 is made significantly harder by the resistance to foreign occupation that happens whenever the United States gains control of anywhere!
    Most Serene.

Its lame but I really wanted to play as the US for a few turns on a campaign so I had to give it a go. I am sure there is a mod out now that eliminates the need to complete RTI in order to play as the US. That is of course, unless you actually just like RTI.
    In God we trust...everyone else gets searched.

RTI was a disappointment for me, I ended up simply rushing to take the towns I had to take (tip: you don't need to hold them all, just capture them) - something I normally never do.

Anyway, I don't think TROM adds much to the RTI campaigns - the historical battles are scripted and many units in the RTI campaign actually use different stats. I think it's best to play it without TROM, and enable TROM when you get to Chapter 4. RTI Chapter 4 is similar to the main campaign. You won't be seeing the AOR units there, however, since it uses a different campaign file.

Kiljaden's Avatar Centenarius

Hmm I don't like that. Would it be at all possible to, say... completely break historical accuracy and replace the Thirteen Colonies faction with the USA faction and get rid of their protectorate status?

I'm sure it's possible, but it seems a bit stupid to me, given that the game starts in 1700.
    Most Serene.

I've an idea, but it's still very early days.

If you take the campaign file in empire total war\data\campaigns\main_2, you have the RTI chapter IV campaign that starts in 1783 and lets you play the US. Make the other major factions playable, add in the AOR zones from TROM, and change the timescale to e.g. 12 turns/year. This should give you a nice late-era mini campaign.

Maybe somebody would like to take this up as a submod?

I am so down for this proposal Johan!

Quote Originally Posted by Serenissima View Post
    I'm sure it's possible, but it seems a bit stupid to me, given that the game starts in 1700.
    Well, I love TROM, and I'm a USA fanatic in strategy games.

Glad you like it I think it's a good idea for a submod, and it shouldn't be too hard to do. I'd love to have a go at it, but I don't have the time for now.

Hmm didn't know this is how you got to play the US in the main campaign.

Since it looks like it blows I'm just gonna cheat with a trainer and breeze through the damn thing.

I'm also refighting the 'The Road to Independence' with TROM installed and having a real blast. TROM makes so much difference the to game, its amazing. The AI actually seems to work better with TROM installed.

The only thing I'm scratching my head over is the recruitment limitations, for some reason the United States are restricted to recruiting 20 x Line Infantry Regiments, but there is no limit on how many Grenadier Regiments and Ranger Battalions you can recruit, which seems a bit odd to me, and results in some really weird army stacks.

Is there any easy way to change these recruitment limits, similar to the method I used to get rid of the fantasy units a few days ago. (that worked a treat by the way)

Also, I'm a bit confused over some of the uniforms I'm getting during this campaign. For example, sub-standard British Regiments wearing blue coats (Not Hessian I checked). The Sub-standard US Line Infantry wearing grey coats might be right. I assume the US Line Infantry are doubling as Continental Infantry.

Also some of the units have mixed up voice acknowledgements, so you click on a Dragoon regiment and it says 'Infantry Reporting' etc. Just minor things, the overall result is great.

I believe those "sub standard" regiments are militia units. The skins they use are taken from Spanky's militia mod. I haven't really checked the colours that they use, maybe they need some editing in order to avoid confusion.

To change the recruitment limit, you need to edit the units_tables in trom_core_part_1.
    According to the tables, the US grenadiers should have a limit of 8. Rangers are indeed not limited.

About the unit voices: that's a bug in vanilla ETW, apparently some of the phrases are mismatched.

Substandard regiments are either militia or minutemen. Minutemen are great

One thing I just noticed... I don't know if this is Episode 3 specific, since TROM wasn't made for RTI, but the British are making tons and tons and tons of artillery since I installed 1.32. Like, I saw an army of 10 artillery and 3 infantry. Most roaming armies are either 1 or 2 artillery or 3 artillery and one hessian line. Weird.

Weird, thats not what their doing in my game. Currently, I seem to be getting mostly Grenadiers with only one or two artillery batteries and a few cavalry. I did get an army with three guard regiments launch their own personal invasion of Maine. Perhaps, it depends how much money they have, I've been keeping mine pretty strapped for cash.

edit:
    Oh! just wondered are you using the AOR system?

That might make a difference.