Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GIMP Basics Final Exam

Default Re: GIMP Basics Final Exam

Great job everyone! I'll review everything later on.

Anyway, due to the TWC downtime, this will stay open for a few more days.

Part 1
    I used 8 frames I captured from a trailer. That's all! But the quality is lucking..I guess .gif can't go beyond 8bit color.

Last edited by Imperator-Rex; June 08, 2009 at 08:23 AM.

If you do not use the "Optimize for GIF" feature, the quality will be considerably better. However, as a result the size will increase a lot and signatures may not be bigger than 250 KB here. But if you want to use an animation for anything else you can of course achieve a better quality.

Fact is I didn't use the "optimize for GIF" feature, I detest anything thats spoils quality. Is there a way to create an animation with 24bit images?

Hm, I don't have much experience with using material from trailers to be honest. Were the original images also of such a low quality? Usually, the gif's quality won't decrease in quality (at least not by a lot), unless you specifically say it should.

That's as good as it gets. Oh well...

"The format supports up to 8 bits per pixel, allowing a single image to reference a palette of up to 256 distinct colors chosen from the 24-bit RGB color space. It also supports animations and allows a separate palette of 256 colors for each frame. The color limitation makes the GIF format unsuitable for reproducing color photographs and other images with continuous color, but it is well-suited for simpler images such as graphics or logos with solid areas of color."
    Last edited by Imperator-Rex; June 08, 2009 at 10:11 AM.

Holy **** .. there's loads of posts lost wsith the database error .. I posted the rain part , and an updted animation , but apparently , it's gone

I'll reupload it :

Animation :

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Rain : (I tried to make a spaltter effect on the attacker's sword , but it's barely noticeable )

Quote Originally Posted by PubliusKhannus View Post
    Try not making it so this side that side, overlay one side onto another, perhaps merging the flags in the middle, allowing to flow more freely. But that's just my opinion.
    thats what i wanted to do but i am not 110% sure how to so i played around for awhile then gave up and poster i do like the flags on opposite sides thou

Sevasti's Avatar Biarchus
    They tell me it's a regular building but it sways like a house of cards when the wind blows

The Wallpaper:

I decided to try and get a more "cartoony" look out of real pictures. Practically, this meant that I mainly just fiddled around with the color adjustments and some effects. The end result was not the one I hoped for but I discovered some nice ways to blend duplicated pictures at least.

I used double layers for each picture. The layer on top I just slightly modified (trying to match the color adjustments) and changed the opacity, while I used some effects (blur and oil painting effect) for the bottom layers. As a finishing touch, I used an overlay brush to accentuate the shadows on the figures.

I kind of lost inspiration after I had played around with several figures in the picture, so I decided to cut them out and just add another King of Fighters character instead.

Final Edit:

Originals:

Hopefully, the rain and animation works will be completed tomorrow, right now I need to take a break.

Et sekund er som et minutt her inne
    Minutt som en time. Time som et døgn
    Og du trur du ser ting å så klart
    Eg seier ikkje ett ord til før eg får en advokat

Quote Originally Posted by karlost123456789 View Post
    Animation:

Creating rain /funny I make tutorial about this in Graphic workshop/:
    Original:

Edited:

Golden text:

Wallpaper/banner:

Tehniques:Bsicly same sa you Astaroth!

Darn it I just read that i only need to do wallpaper or banner and animation!
    Good job, karlost. In order to complete the class, please create a wallpaper which is a bit bigger than your first try. Currently, it is a bit hard to recognize things.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
    Part A

Part B

Rainy Times

Well done! You have successfully completed the class.

Easy stuff first:

Animation:

Rain:

Golden Text:

Part B :
    Nice animation. Adding a border would be a possibility but isn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Roloc View Post
    Here is my animated sig:

Here is my wallpaper:

Deutschland über alles!!!!!

Good job. You could use the eraser tool to remove some of the hard lines but it's up to you. Congratulations, you have also completed this class.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
    My Animated Sig.
    Spoiler for Previous Work

And my wallpaper. Sorry that's it this big, but my sister wanted to use it as a background.
    Cool, I'm glad that you already got to utilize your talents. Anyway, you have passed the class!

Quote Originally Posted by NLegari View Post
    My animation:
    Spoiler for animation

All those images used in it were made by me.(that is why they look so horrible.) Most of those images are rather simple. For the pillar one that is in it, I selected the middle of the image and filled it with red. That is what I got, so I dunno.

My wall paper:
    Spoiler for wall paper

If it is too big, let me know.

Here are the original images:
    Spoiler for original images

Good job. The original image might be a bit pixelated but that isn't your fault. Adding a border to your wallpaper is possible but not necessary. It also helps to put a black shadow behind your text to make it stand out more. But again, that's of course optional and up to you. You have also finished the class successfully!

Quote Originally Posted by Eol_Nauglamir View Post
    My animation: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/album...ictureid=18112

My wallpaper comes later
    Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by sithlord447 View Post
    here is my wallpaper

Very nice. Maybe you could blend the two images a bit better but that's up to you. Either way, you pass this exam and the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Icedie of South View Post
    This place reserve for me!!
    For this i use the signature bar technique and some overlay, borders, Blend tool and some other small stuff , like brush deletion lightning filter.
    First attempt:

EDITED
    And this is a blend of just about everything you taught us as you can see i hope this is enough, size suppose to be 1024x764 i believe that is enough for a wallpaper.
    Wallpaper

I have read some more and it was suppose to be bigger than 800x800 so i made it 1024x820 .

Sorry but is not saving at the right size , it gets smaller after saving it.
    Nicely done. One suggestion for the blood: maybe use a darker shade of red and use the dodge/burn tool to make the blood look more realistic (by making some parts darker than others). Anyway, if you are having trouble with photobucket, maybe try a different website such as tinypic.com. You will pass the class once you have done that.

Quote Originally Posted by KingTheoden1 View Post
    Holy **** .. there's loads of posts lost wsith the database error .. I posted the rain part , and an updted animation , but apparently , it's gone

I'll reupload it :

Animation :

Rain : (I tried to make a spaltter effect on the attacker's sword , but it's barely noticeable )

Funny animation.

However, please also make an animated signature (550x175 pixels maximum) if possible. The rain effect is pretty good but you might want to use an eraser to remove the 'white dots' near the top of the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevasti View Post
    The Wallpaper:

I decided to try and get a more "cartoony" look out of real pictures. Practically, this meant that I mainly just fiddled around with the color adjustments and some effects. The end result was not the one I hoped for but I discovered some nice ways to blend duplicated pictures at least.

I used double layers for each picture. The layer on top I just slightly modified (trying to match the color adjustments) and changed the opacity, while I used some effects (blur and oil painting effect) for the bottom layers. As a finishing touch, I used an overlay brush to accentuate the shadows on the figures.

I kind of lost inspiration after I had played around with several figures in the picture, so I decided to cut them out and just add another King of Fighters character instead.

Final Edit:

Originals:

Hopefully, the rain and animation works will be completed tomorrow, right now I need to take a break.
    Very nice wallpaper. You could add a border but that's of course up to you.

Here's a list of everyone who has successfully completed this exam and the GIMP Basics Class:

And here are those who have already posted either their animation or their wallpaper:

Just tell me in case I've forgotten anyone. This exam will probably stay open until Sunday at the latest.
    Last edited by Astaroth; June 10, 2009 at 07:14 AM.

Holy crap, my animation got lost in the crash. Anyway, here it is, the gaming classic. . .

And my LOTR wallpaper/banner.

Son of PW

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

Ok i will do it
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

Okay, my wallpaper, based on a LOTR theme. Basically I took one of the Third Age loading screens, cropped it to the picture and blended in a picture of Sauron in the upper left-hand corner, lowering the opacity of Sauron’s layer slightly. Then I added the Gandalf quote, applied a slight Gaussian blur to the words, and merged all my layers down. Then I took a black cloud brush large enough to cover the entire picture, lowered the opacity down to a suitable level and applied. The picture was already dark and murky, but the brush made the text look like part of the original picture, which was the desired effect. Not as elaborate as some, but I liked it. I will however, resize it to comply with the instructions.
    Son of PW

Sevasti's Avatar Biarchus
    They tell me it's a regular building but it sways like a house of cards when the wind blows

So I'm working on my animation but I've hit a snag. Everything is working fine except that already played frames still stay in the picture. The thing is that I use a character in motion with transparent background so the newer frames just get cropped on top of the older ones instead of just showing one frame at time. Is there any way to hide the already played frames?

Edit: Made a temporary solution.

Animation:

The animation is from the Dilbert series, I frapped it, cut out the character from the scene, frame by frame, and then reassembled it again.

Edit2: At first I actually used different time frames to mimic the original but when I made the temp I forgot and I thought the result was hilarious enough to be kept.
    Last edited by Sevasti; June 09, 2009 at 07:29 PM.

Et sekund er som et minutt her inne
    Minutt som en time. Time som et døgn
    Og du trur du ser ting å så klart
    Eg seier ikkje ett ord til før eg får en advokat

@Astaroth is this ne better:

Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    My Workshop™

So I'm working on my animation but I've hit a snag. Everything is working fine except that already played frames still stay in the picture. The thing is that I use a character in motion with transparent background so the newer frames just get cropped on top of the older ones instead of just showing one frame at time. Is there any way to hide the already played frames?

Animation:

The animation is from the Dilbert series, I frapped it, cut out the character from the scene, frame by frame, and then reassembled it again.

Edit2: At first I actually used different time frames to mimic the original but when I made the temp I forgot and I thought the result was hilarious enough to be kept.
    OMG that's a ton of work! But the result is rewarding. Well done Sevasti!

Done. Slightly bigger than I like, but done.
    Son of PW

PubliusKhannus's Avatar Senator

My wallpaper:

Original Images:

Check out my collection of poetry, prose, & comedy @ https://badwriter.net

Animation:

Great animation, well done! You have successfully completed this class.

Quote Originally Posted by karlost123456789 View Post
    @Astaroth is this ne better:

Much better! You have passed the class as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I View Post
    Okay, my wallpaper, based on a LOTR theme. Basically I took one of the Third Age loading screens, cropped it to the picture and blended in a picture of Sauron in the upper left-hand corner, lowering the opacity of Sauron’s layer slightly. Then I added the Gandalf quote, applied a slight Gaussian blur to the words, and merged all my layers down. Then I took a black cloud brush large enough to cover the entire picture, lowered the opacity down to a suitable level and applied. The picture was already dark and murky, but the brush made the text look like part of the original picture, which was the desired effect. Not as elaborate as some, but I liked it. I will however, resize it to comply with the instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I View Post
    Done. Slightly bigger than I like, but done.
    Great, I'm glad that you got to use so many different techniques successfully. While the image is still 1022x408 pixels for me I have decided to accept it now since you have put quite some effort into it. And with that you also pass this class.

My wallpaper:

Original Images:

You have done a good job blending the images, cool wallpaper. I'd suggest making the text a bit better visible but that's of course up to you. Either way, you have successfully completed this class.

Thanks Astaroth!
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    My Workshop™

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast