Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Postumus/Crescentius

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Postumus/Crescentius

I protest! The suggestion was 4500 Denarii, which was barely supported by any reasoning, 4000 is below any amount mentioned and unsupported by any realistic prediction of the expenses of improving a Province's infrastructure.

What do you expect he gets this money for? Buying groceries? Sending letters home? No, he gets that money to build up the province and such building projects cost a lot of money. 4500 is the absolute minimum I can tolerate for such a venture, and - for the record - I find even that amount insufficient for the task at hand.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

"Well then,I must say I'm quite a fool.I had forgotten how much the budget before was so I thank you senator for reminding me.I will let the senate to decide if I should continue my job as a quaestor this turn as it seems I have failed with many things."

O Sancta Simplicitas!

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

I think my 7,500 was a good amount, the Punic Isles hasn't been given a good budget for some time - partly due to Consul Posthumus' claims of knowing the Punic Isles better than us...

...but that suggestion got vetoed so...

Quaestor, you weren't in the Chamber when the Consul suggested 4,500 so i find little fault with you, and Saevus' critisms of you report are HIS opinions, as Quaestor it is up to you to tell us YOUR thoughts on what needs investment or not.

We off course reserve the right to debate it, but...

I agree with Senator Falco, why are we seemingly willing to invest large sums in one of our proviences and not the other? Consul Posthumus would have us believe that it is because Punic doesn't need investing, but without a report from the Governor i would question how he comes to this claim, it is some time since he was the Governor and much may have changed.

The silence from Punic is desturbing, but Quaestor you shouldn't worry about that, present us with your ideas over a budget and the senate shall vote on it.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

I will support the budget of 7500 denarii Primus, but it seems like you act like a fool sending money to a place of witch we know nothing. What if an upraising would take place in the province at this same moment. We would send money the rebels capture the men delivering the money. Thy will have a laugh and send a letter thanking us for the amount of money send.

I support the amount for the province of Sicilia and i will support this amount of 7500 denarii for the punic islands but first we should investigate what is happening on them before sending or voting on the budget for the punic islands.

And i am not saying that the islands don' t need investment, but i do not know the state of our treasury like you seem to do senator Primus. You would send the entire treasury to the islands before a waiting a report to see what would need priority. You claim that i would like to let the senate believe that the punic islands do not need investment and how would i know as the governor has not send us any report. I don' t is my answer to that. But now i ask you senator how do you know that the governor is deeply in need of an extra high funds as he has send us no report.

I will say it again as long as we don' t have a report of the governor or any kind of sign on what is happening over there, we should not send a high amount of denarii. Start an investigation to clear up the fog that seems to gatter around the punic islands.

We all agree on the budget of 10000 denarii so i will start a voting on this so that the pro consul will get his budget.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; June 10, 2009 at 11:51 AM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

"I'm sure the Plebeian will support you when you have a true investigation from the Isles. I do not trust governors who go absent, especially in the time of expansion, some of them may get ideas." Lucius looked at the Senate. "I will support the budget of 7,500 Denari once we have a full report, and if we do not have one in the next few days, I will ensure another veto of the legislation."
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

I say we send a Senator to investigate the province then to make sure it is safe and that the people are content.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

"I agree with the Consul!" Lucius stood and nodded at the Consul, Over the past few days Lucius had become a supporter of Postumus and Crescentius's government, they had effectively handled everything that they needed.

Maybe it is best to send one of the Praetors colleague?

I will bring up the motion of budget for the province of Sicilia.

Let' s move on to the building projects en military recruitment to decrease the amount of mercenaries in our armies.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

"The amount of mercenaries in the army, I agree must be decreased, our reliance on foreign military will only destroy us in the long run. We need true Roman values throughout the Army, with true Roman men fighting. Not barbarians or uncivilized men."

aye, how can we be sure that the gallic mercenaries won't turn around and help thier barbarian scumbags in arms!
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

agreed (ck23), a point i made when the hiring of mercanaries was discussed.

Now that the war is more or less over, we should reinforce the existing legions and replace the mercanaries with Romans. Our Roman infantry is the mainstay of our power and our legions should reflect this.

Of course i do reconsise that for lighter troops and cavalry, mercanaries are often a good idea - but our infantry? They should be Roman, that won us the Social war, the 1st Punic war and is our true strength

"Aye Consul Crescentius! They have done it before in the past against themselves, if they cannot keep with their own kinsmen why would they fight for us? We are foreign and to them dictators, of course they are going to have treachery on their minds!"

When disbanding the mercenaries we could give them lands in the newly conquered cities, give them Roman citizenship as a reward for there actions in the war. Thy will greatly accept this as thy know thy will profit from it.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; June 10, 2009 at 03:29 PM.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

"Consul Postvmvs do you believe that to be wise? If we do we should place them close to a true Roman settlement so we can truly Romanize them and then our culture will start to spread more easily once they see how magnificent we are..."

It was simply a proposal tribune. We can relocate them where ever the senate feels thy should be send. Thy could be send to Sicilia as well to serve under the proconsul. There thy will be far away from there homes in the service of Rome. Give them the word of the senate that thy will earn Roman citizenship and thy will keep quiet and preform there duties with much devotion.

Or disband them in one of the cities deeper in to italie.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

"I agree with the Sicilia proposal, it seems that they will be far more useful over there. Though if we offer them citizenship it does give them incentive to stay and fight."

Yes, I see.

OOC:- Where is the latest save and Hesus's name is Postumus.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Turnus sat in silence as he observed the tribune. Such preposterous propositions, such demands from one who has barely stepped into the Senate halls. I see many a Lepidus in this man. Less than three months and already a veto. He needs to be put in his place.

Concerning the mercenaries, we have already reached a decision last year: they are to be slowly replaced with Roman soldiers, particularly at the front. Now, were it left up to me, I would continue to use these mercenaries as sword fodder, but seeing as our Tribune has no problem letting his... "beloved" Plebs do the bleeding, I would not rebuke his point, but applaud it. Too long has Roman sword lay bloodless while foreign arms have conquered for us, these Plebs are growing listless and decadent with the lavish life that so many of us has bestowed upon them. And even now, they demand more and more when we have provided them with so much.

So let us relinquish our hold on these mercenaries that have bled for Rome and replace them with the street rats that fancy themselves kings of the world.

Now, sending these mercenaries to Sicily is a rather pointless gesture, they would serve no purpose there. The Proconsul has already marched against the Agrigentians, there are no more enemies on the island who can rise up against us. So why Sicily? Why would we send more soldiers to an already pacified island? Put these mercenaries on the frontier towns, as long as they're getting paid, they'll remain loyal to us and act as a stop gap solution to the incoming Gallic invaders.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.