Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Postumus/Crescentius

Indeed, Senator Falco, you see my point

very well i will propose this motion

Satraps viaticus

1-That the Governor of Sicily gets his requested 10,000 denari's

2-The Governor of the Punic Isles gets 7,500 denari's

I say AYE to the Satraps viaticus.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

A man walks in the Curia flanked by Lictors. It is Consul Sextius who entered the house just in time to hear the debate on the budget for the provinces.

Senators, he said while walking to the consular chair.

Senators.

I would like to continue this discussion as i don' t see a reason for such a large budget for the punic islands. There is little to nothing to be build. I believe a budget of 4500 denarii for Corsica et Sardinia would be sufficent to start with.

As for the 10.000 denarii for Sicilia, i agree on this.

If the senate wishes i will make the Quaestors report so that we could start discussion on this matter.

As for now i would like to ask the tribune to veto the satraps viaticus. Based on the budget for the punic Islands. I remember when i asked for this budget 2 years ago i was denied this. There was nothing to build the senate answered. I don' t see any changes and we didn ' t get a report of the Propraetor. Remember he is there for over a year and hasn' t ask for a repelnish of his budget.

We have other pressing matters to attend to. I have returned with some of the depleted maniples that have fought on the borders against the gauls i started the retrainment and refilling of these maniples. We need infrastructure in Cisalpine Gaul like roads in Genua and so on. Leavy new allied troops and some extra maniples from Rome it self should be in consideration. The gauls will return senators and i want to be prepared if thy do.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I would like the Consul to present to the Senate a more detailed reasoning for the lowering of the provinces budget. Proof that there are no building options, and if feasible advice on what the provincial governors could spend the money on instead.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Consul Posthemus, you will have my support on a bill for retraining the maniples - my term as Quaestor meant i saw just how unprepared Rome was, whilst i assume that we are in a better state now let us not forget the wise saying Let him who desires peace prepare for war.

As to the budget for the Punic Isles, you may be right that 7,500 is a large amount. But i trust that the Governor can always not spend the entire amount. I also thought it best to propose the motion, as Sicily IS in need of the money, and i prefered to ensure that the Punic Isles weren't neglected as well. As to your complaint about not being treated equally, well that is childish and wouldn't lead to progress.

I still feel that haste is desirable in this motion and prefere to trust in the elected Governor to show maturity in his exercusion of his duties. We have after all wasted a fair part of this term waiting upon the Quaestors report.

Consul, please don't take this the wrong way, but i feel that your request for veto is wrong. However i am more than happy for you to compile the Quaestors report.

Marceliinus looks to the rest of the Senate.

I would value the Senates opinion in this matter.

It has nothing to do with being treated equally senator. The propraetor has not send us any reports he has not asked for any additional money, this means the situation is still the same on the punic isalnds as thy where two years ago. We even have not heart from him for over a year. The same happened to the proconsul of Sicilia and the senate decided to bring up a vote of no confidence. As it looks like the Propreator is neglecting his duty or is in no need of an extra funds the senate decides to spend a large sum that could be spend on the defence or structure of Cisalpine Gaul.

I would like to ask the senate to wait untill we know how much mony is still in the treasure chest before sending it to a province that doesn' t need it.

The reson for this veto is to stop the voting because if it passes the money will be send and Rome will "maybe" left without any. What do you think senators leave Rome without money for it' s troops and send it to enrich the provinces or wait untill we have a report to see where the money is realy needed.

Sextius turns to Clarus.

Praetor it is not my duty to present reports on building structures in the provinces, we have pro magistrates for this, thy make there own report and send word to the senate about the amount of extra budget that thy need for the next year.

Sextius turnes back to the rest of the senators and continues.

Sentors we still are at war do not forget this, the gauls are still a powerful people to fear. Thy will send new troops over the alps to try and retake Cisalpine Gaul. We need to Romenize these conquered cities and we need to do this as fast as we can.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; June 09, 2009 at 01:48 PM.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Lucius still stood and looked the Senate. "I agree with the Consul, the Defense of the Republic is more important then an Island which has no options to build at this time. The threat is from the Gallic nations and there barbaric ways. I say no, and I will do everything in my power to make sure that doesn't happen. The budget for Sicilia. I will veto the action of giving a ridiculous amount of money to the Punic Islands." Lucius was somewhat shocked with himself, he fought back a smile, he felt so, powerful. "The people of Rome would not be proud of giving their hard earned money to an island where we have no idea what happen to the governor, has he gone mad? has he been dealing with the enemy?"
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

i may be mistaken Consul, but upon the end of my term as Quaestor, Rome was solvent, and had plenty to spare.

an extra 3,000 denari's won't make much extra difference to our defense - since we have much more than that - although you are right that we openly critizised the Governor of Sicily while we are ignoring the absence of a report from the Punic Isles.

Sextius lookes to the tribune and asks the next question.

Tribune do you Veto the motion that has been brought up for voting?
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

"Consul, I veto the motion that is giving a ridiculous amount of hard earned denari to the Punic Isles. It is denari hard earned, and what is motioned is giving it away to a Governor we are unsure of, the people surely wouldn't stand for that, and the Senate shouldn't either."

I thank you tribune, this is a wise decision.

The voting has been vetoed and there for will be closed.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Standing once again, with all the talk of the Propraetor being absent Lvcivs had to do something. "Senators, I move to have a vote of no confidence in the PROPRAETOR CORSICARVM SARDINIARVMQVE LVCIVS DOMITIVS AHENOBARBVS ALBINVS! He has outright gone absent for far to long and the Senate and more importantly the people of Rome shall not stand for an injustice."

I agree with the Tribune, The propraetor has not done his duty (we know Xav is busy but still) therefore we should strip him of his governership and give it to a more suitable man.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Tiberius enters the Cvria and walks to his seat.

"I apologize for my long absence,but I have now prepared my report to the senate."

He opens a scroll and starts to read.

"Senators,I traveled trough the entire Italy to see the condition of our cities.The South ones,that are important to our economy are in good health and grow in steady speed.The Northern cities however,are filthy and need a lot of money as there is almost no infrastructure.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In Genua,the constructions are almost complete so I suggest to build a Via there to help the travel and trade to that city.It would also connect the city to the other cities.

In Mediolanium,the construction will be too over soon and in there I suggest a Tribus Vallorum to be built as it's on the frontlines and if our forts would fall,gods forbit it,it would have to endure a siege.But without walls,that is impossible.

In Patavium,I suggest the same thing.As the constructions will be ready at the same time as in Mediolanium,walls should be built in that city too.We need to fortify our cities and make them prepared for an possible siege by the Gauls as we need to be prepared for the worst.

In Paestum,I suggest the taxes to be raised and for construction,the farming should be upgraded as the ground is very fertile there and could carry a lot of grain.

In Rhegium,Tribus Vallorum should be built as if there were to be a naval invasion by Carthage,the city would be without defenses and wouldn't withstand a siege.Also,there are bandits roaming around so if a sufficient force of them would decide to attack the city,it would have to defend itself immediately.

In rome,to ease the sanitation problems,I suggest building a Aqueduct which would bring more water to the city and help the people living in poor quarters.

The financial situation is stable right now as we are gaining a steady income of 9000 denarii for every 3 months.Also,we have a total of 33 888 denarii in our treasury right now for expenditures.

That is all."

O Sancta Simplicitas!

"Your report could not have come at a better time Quaestor. You've done a great service once again to the Senate et the People of Rome. I extend my happiness that we have someone capable of being honest of their faults. It seems with your report that we should focus on our conquered territories a bit more."

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Quaestor, it is also your duty to suggest a budget for the proviences

the Governor of Sicily has asked for a budget of 10,000 denari's and we haven't heard from the Punic Isles - although my suggestion of 7,500 seems to have been badly recieved....

I see several... shortcomings with the following budget.

First and foremost, the suggestion to build roads into Genua, Patavium, and Mediolanum may seem a reasonable approach for the moment, but in the long run would be an unwise choice. If we will demand the individual legates of the city to present us with soldiers, we will find that it is a nigh impossibility due to their level of Romanisation. The people in those towns are simply not willing to take up weapons in service of Rome. No, what we need is to continue the policy of Romanisation in those cities before we begin to even think about constructing roads. At the moment, we have a rather large garisson of soldiers stationed near the Alps, which act as natural walls against the enemy. Furthermore, the chain of forts constructed along what little passes there are allow us to delay enemy advances into Italy, making walls a redundant system in these frontier towns. But if we were to direct our attention at Romanisation and enlisting the locals to fight for US rather than us being asked to fight for THEM, then the border becomes a much more easily defendable position.

As for the situation in Rhegium, we have a stable border with Carthage. Last I recall, our holdings in Sicily are more at risk to a Carthaginian naval invasion than our Italian holdings, the walls there would be a burden on the treasury that we can do without. I recommend a continuation of our government building in Rhegium, which soon would allow us to begin training proper legionary maniples in the city, something that would make many of us who treasure our homes and lives sleep much sounder at night.

Now, the biggest contention I have with the bill involves Rome herself. There is simply no need to build an extensive system of aquaducts in Rome at the moment. We have a relatively stable population growth and it would not be in Rome's interest to suddenly increase the number of inhabitants by building more aquaducts. Public order is not where we'd like it to be, and an increase in population would only aggravate the problem. We should focus on increasing trade by expanding the harbors at Ostia (i.e. build harbors in Rome) so that the City can become a major trading hub between Italy, the Punic Isles, and Sicily.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Senator Saevus, remember that Senate opinion is divided as to Cis-Alpine should be Romanised or not.

i'm unsure about the budget, so i will speak on the issue Governor of the Punic Isles. One last letter should be sent, we do not know the reason why he hasn't responded - maybe he has nothing to tell..... or maybe something has ocurred, thus i feel a last chance is given to him, but this should have a time limit (ie in real terms Friday - so he has a couple of days - remember the twcenter was down, and he may not know it's back up)

Once the time limit is passed then he SHOULD be removed from position and answer to the Praetors when and if he returns to Rome

Regardless of their status of becoming a part of Italia or as provinces, they will still need to undergo Romanisation so they can be of use in terms of providing manpower for armies.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

"Well senator Saevus,you are absolutely correct.My report was made a bit fast and there may have been mistakes.I will fix the report and make it more suitable.

As for the budgets,I agree with giving a budget of 10,000 denarii for Sicily,but for the Punic Isles I recommend a budget of about...4000 denarii as we need more money inland for the campaign."

O Sancta Simplicitas!