Thread: Garrison Scripts?

Default Garrison Scripts?

Please bear with me, as it has been a long time since I played XGM (over a year) and things have changed quite a bit since then. I have also never played XC before, so I am not sure what is an XGM issue and what is XC.

In any case, after spending a little while poking around XC I decided to start a campaign. It will be nice to take a little break from ATW for a while and do something completely different. Not to mention probably learn a few things. Nicely done Caesar!

So I am playing the Romans and just smote Phrryhus' ruin upon the hillside south west of Cannae. Great fun that battle was. I even used the standard Roman deployment. Except to put my Triarii out on the flank I saw the Indie Greeks moving their Elephants to. Lovely textures on those Triarii btw.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It was a very fun battle. Rousing way to start a campaign!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Anyway, now to the question at hand. The turn following my destruction of Pyrrhus, I found another full stack of Indie Greeks between myself and Tarentum. Is there a garrison script that spawns such armies every time you cross into a territory? Or were there two such armies to start with? (I really do not want to go back and start a new campaign and turn fow off, because I do not want to see things that might spoil the fun in the next few turns).

Edit:

After thrashing that army I advanced upon Tarentum and found it nearly empty, so I am guessing that it was the garrison of the city.
    Last edited by Subrosa Florens; May 31, 2009 at 09:02 PM.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Garrison Scripts?

The second army is just the starting garrison of the city. It's been a while but I think when I set up the start of the Roman campaign there was a problem with Pyrrhus not being aggressive enough. Adding a larger garrison to Tarrentum helped with that. The garrison in Tarrentum is much lower quality than the army that Pyrrhus has in the field, so if you can beat Pyrrhus, dealing with the second stack is easy enough.

Ahh yes it was then. As you said, much lower in quality, and much easier to thrash.

I found that Phyrrus was quite aggressive. He came right at me. Until one of his amoking War Elephants stomped him flat that is... So your tweaking worked!

Barend's Avatar Tiro

I played two campaigns with the Romans where Pyrrhus didn'go after me. I moved myself in a comfortable postion to defend, but instead he use his elephants to take Cannae/Capua. Very annoying, and much harder to take those cities back then defeat him on a battlefield. How come he dind't attack me ?

Edit: Sorry for hijacking this thread and making it about Pyrrhus instead of the garrison scripts.
    Last edited by Barend; June 01, 2009 at 05:43 AM.
    a šumšu la zakar-
    -The past is taught by those who win-

Really? Did you camp out on that hill south-west of Cannnae? That is what I did. I did not change the makeup of Decius Mus' starting army at all either. Phyrrus immediately attacked me on the hill over the AI's turn.

Sometimes when you wait for Pyrrhus to attack he will bypass you, though that doesn't seem to happen as much if you are on the Greek side of the border.

I am glad you are enjoying Extended Cultures, SubRosa. You can look for exciting new changes in the next few editions, but I won't spoil the surprise.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

What Pyrrhus does also depends on how many units you leave defending Capua and Cannae. If you only leave one unit defending then he will attack one of the cities. If you leave more units on defense (maybe 3 or 4, I can't remember the exact numbers) then he will not attack the cities.