Thread: Superhero of Disasters

Manningham's Avatar Civitate

What all young disasters want to be when they grow up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/1999/...volcanoes.shtml

I saw a documentary on this a while back and for some reason, it just popped into my head. Pretty scary, but while this site says we're overdue for an eruption at Yellowstone, I've also read that it could happen any time within the next 100,000 years. Have homo-sapiens even existed for that long?

It's interesting, though, that since we've never had the chance to scientifically study one in action, we really don't know what to be looking for as far as predicting the imminence of eruption.
    "It don't matter to Jesus"
    - Jesus

Eric's Avatar Praepositus

Oh great THANKS NStarun now you've scared the ****** outta me and gave me a chronic fear of Yellowstone park
    Better to stand under the Crown than to kneel under a Flag

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

Centurion Quintus's Avatar Campidoctor

Wow, one state away. Not fun. Things like this don't tend to scare me, I mean there's a million and one small statistics that could easily impede my daily activities, and that are significant enough for me to occupy myself with, alas, I can't.

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

Relax, we would find a way to survive...somehow.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Zuwxiv's Avatar Bear Claus

I've heard of this before. It's true, we're all going to die. If it isn't this, its that island in the atlantic, and if its not that, then we'll just nuke eachother.

But anyways, if this happened humans would have maybe a 50% chance of survival. (just a rough guess)... Maybe the planet would be better off without us, though.

Or maybe this is the Biblical end of the world?

Currently worshipping Necrobrit *********** Thought is Quick
    I'm back for the TWCrack

Manningham's Avatar Civitate

one of these things, Toba, went off early in human history and it couldn't even wipe us out then. I doubt this'll completely end us, but it'll be tough for sure
    "It don't matter to Jesus"
    - Jesus

Humans are like cockraoches, we will survive everything.

Eothain's Avatar woo

Everyone thinks it would be so terrible if such an eruption happens and the world was thrown into nuclear winter-type darkness. I don't think so, I think it would just be an experience. Heck, I'd like it to happen in my life time (preferably while I'm relatively young), just to see what it'd be like. Most people don't think like me, however.
    MareNostrum for DICTATOR FOR LIFE!

[move]I wanna stand up, I wanna let go. You know, you know, no you don't, you don't. I wanna shine on in the hearts of man, I wanna meaning from the back of my broken hand. Another head aches, another heart breaks. I'm so much older than I can take. And my affection, well it comes and goes, I need direction to perfection, no, no, no, no, no. Help me out, yeah, you know you gotta help me out, yeah. Oh don't you put me on the backburner, you've gotta help me out, yeah. And when there's nowhere else to run, is there room for one more son, these changes, ain't changing me, the cold-hearted boy I used to be.[/move]

Most people know that food needs sunlight to grow...

Yeah, I was in Yellowstone a couple years ago while on a camping trip in the Tetons, and they shared all of this fun information with us. "Welcome to Yellowstone. If you abruptly die from an apocalyptic eruption, the park authority cannot be held responsible." :p

I've heard of this before. It's true, we're all going to die. If it isn't this, its that island in the atlantic, and if its not that, then we'll just nuke eachother.
    Yeah, pick your poison. We're done.

\_(¯ˆ·._.·-Shadowflare-·._.·ˆ¯)_/
    No it is you who is through the looking-glass.
    Gamers go to Heaven
    Writers go to Whisper
    BLOG|Spire|Boards|WSPR|Legacy|[SP]
    nighthawk_204@hotmail.com

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

lol Eothin I sometimes know what you mean. hehehe.

I think we would survive, but things would be harsh. I'm just curious to know where the other ones are. I have heard about the Yellowstone park one before. Supposedly that one would reduce most of the US to rubble lol.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

As far as I've heard, (but you should know that I know sod all about Volcanos), is that the minerals or summin in Yellowstone are not building up, in fact it is quite the opposite, meaning an eruption there is far from imminent. I can state with a degree of certainty that it will not erupt as you are reading this.

The "40,000 years overdue!" thing should not be taken to seriously, it is just an average I believe, so the next eruption could be in 6 million years, then erupt again 5 years after that. Though that is highly unlikely, it is possible if you look at it purely through the 600,000 average.

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Default Lord Tomyris asks a rhetorical question:

Hmm the end of humanity...sounds rather appealing, no?

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004