Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The End of Consoles... :(

H_man's Avatar Decanus

The consoles had an extremely good run but now they have been toppled. the next-gen systems IMO are considered PCs since they have hard-drives, video cards and Operating systems which can log onto the internet, chat, video conference, upload vids and music etc. so I think they should be considered PCs. For those that don't agree with me that's fine but for those who think the PC is over... they need their head examined. The only consoles remaining are the Gameboy, DS and PSP (of the next-gen systems.) and that's the way it should be because the Gameboy was the Best-Selling console of all time... Its dynasty shall not be forgotten.

H_man's Avatar Decanus

Oh, and if you just took a mouse and keyboard then voila!

Carousel's Avatar Need help? Ask me! Hit PM

Please don't double post H-man. Use the edit button in future please *wink*

As for this topic it belongs in the 'basement' and so I'm moving it there.

Good luck :happy
    Extremely grateful and indebted to my friend and patron: Spartan
    Patron of Ardeur

I doubt it because consoles always have those little features like not having to install the game allows to rent from stores. Insted of having to form a lan party just bring an extra controler. And now people can play online with consoles too.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

I think it belongs in the previous forum... It's not a pure HD discussion, more of a gaming one... But whatever.

The difference between a consol and a computer is their price. $400 instead of $10000

Yes, at least 10k is what you need to pay for a triplecustomprocessorwithadvanced512mbscustomvideocard.
    Clients: Caius Britannicus, Waitcu, Spurius, BrandonM, and Tsar Stephan.
    http://www.totalwardai.com

Carousel's Avatar Need help? Ask me! Hit PM

Talk about computers, graphics, anything techy.
    -Description of basement

This thread is a discussion of the technical differences between consoles and PC's and their impact on gaming and as such I feel it belongs here.

The Circus Maximus is for discussion of specific games and games in general.
    Extremely grateful and indebted to my friend and patron: Spartan
    Patron of Ardeur

MeKtHep's Avatar Semisalis
    Well i think its so clear to all people the pc is /was the futur we cant live without it (lol)but i still play the nintendo 8 bit !!! it still rocks my feet got the same games on my ngage qd though (but thats something else)

i just think the console has got his time the pc is way ahead of the console and to compete it needs pc items like graphic card etc so i dont see it as a bad thing there going to be a moderate pc

always loved the mouse and keyboard

" Tell Them In Sparta " That we obeyed our orders to the last man

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

That's the way it goes. The market trends state that the consoles will enjoy a huge boom in their beginning while PC gaming/hardware will be lacking. Then PC hardware will advance and leave the consoles behind, causing a resurgence in the PC gaming market. It was true for Atari, it was true for the PS1 and PS2, it's true for the XBOX, and will continue to be true in the future. It's just a cycle.
    When the X360 and PS3 come out it will be true. Games for PC will start declining and console games will increase. But after a while as the PC advences, the focus WILL inevitably shift back to the PC.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

consoles are dead simply because they are computers now, afterall i can have linux on my xbox along with older pc and current xbox games being playable.

The only "consoles" if you can call them that, more like media center pcs, that will die will be the ones that refuse to adapt. Like Gamecube for example, nintendo refuses to accept the future like they did with using carts in n64 so they will be left behind.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Quote Originally Posted by H_man
    The consoles had an extremely good run but now they have been toppled. the next-gen systems IMO are considered PCs since they have hard-drives, video cards and Operating systems which can log onto the internet, chat, video conference, upload vids and music etc. so I think they should be considered PCs. For those that don't agree with me that's fine but for those who think the PC is over... they need their head examined. The only consoles remaining are the Gameboy, DS and PSP (of the next-gen systems.) and that's the way it should be because the Gameboy was the Best-Selling console of all time... Its dynasty shall not be forgotten.
    Consoles always have had operating systems, ALL computers do! How else can you operate it? Personally I like the fact that the current and next gen (Xbox and 360, Ps2 & 3, nintendo snes emulator) consoles can be used as a budget computer, provided you do some tweaking and get the nessessary hardware (usb mouse and keyboard for the playstations, and a usb adaptor for the xbox). Would I go for them myself? No, they are not as versatile as computers, and have never catered well for the strategy gamer.

budget PCs? BUDGET PCs? the X-box 360 and the PS3 are SUPERcomputers, each with much more firepower then you will get from a 2000 PC. rig on the proper hardware and they are top of the line PCs.

Playstation 3 will blow the doors of XBox II...

And Playstation 3 will come out in March 2006 and it'll be obsole by July 2006.

PC's can be constantly upgraded. Consoles can't. Enjoy being locked into a big corporation's proprietary system that can't be altered with software that won't be mod friendly....

Not for me..

MeKtHep's Avatar Semisalis

ps3 is superb and xbox 360 wil be nice 2 but any how in either way in about 4 months after they are relaesed the pc wil strike back with even better stuf and then its already out of date its just going so fast you buy a new pc and 4 a 5 months later its already old cause there is newer stuff

so i doubt the console will ever beat the pc (cause all the things for it the games software are being created on a PC LOL) so they need the pc for all its just superb

by de way i read a topic on a site about ps3 using LInux? anybody heard that 2 ? could be nice though
    by the way there are going 2 be upgrades for xbox 360 and ps3 bigger HDDS from 80 gig to 120 gig 180 gig
    so thats not the prob only the real hardware the graphic card cannot be changed

" Tell Them In Sparta " That we obeyed our orders to the last man

PS3 and XBOX2 graphics are both powerd by nVidia cards so wether or not one will blow the doors of the other depends on the software released, 99% of which will be total and utter sh!te.

LegionnaireX's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The main thing I like about the xbox, ps2, gcube etc is the fact that they DON'T lag. Since the game is the only thing running in the entire system there is no lag, which is awesome.

Civitate
    North-Holland, 1 of the 12 provinces in The Netherlands

so I think they should be considered PCs. For those that don't agree with me that's fine but for those who think the PC is over... they need their head examined.
    Funny how you say that, seeing as the industry defines what a console is, not you. As for the PC market, it could always be considered plug & play, as anyone who has assembled a PC themselves can testify to. The only complicated part about it was installing the processor, and only because of heating problems. Little can go wrong if you plug a cartridge into a Nintendo, but to see PC's and consoles as fundamentally different is to not know whats 'under the hood'.

If you define a PC by whether you're given a prompt or not (C:\> comes to mind), or wheter or not you can give typed commands (dir, ls, regedit), clearly, PC's are losing out and your post should have the heading: The End of PC's, as witnessed by the majority (the industry).

PC's are becoming an enthusiast's market more and more, and having said that it's strange why so much development is geared towards it. In a sense it creates the market it develops for. People don't need 3 GHz, but gamers do. Is it not natural then, to split off the branch of gamers to the console market, already geared towards them? This leaves the enthusiasts behind, but prevents John Doe's having to worry about what he's buying: If it can do what he wants it to do, why complicate himself?

And then you see why development of new hardware is still booming business: To shove it under the carpet As Soon As Possible, so they can Sell it (a billion dollar/euro market)...
    Given that fact, there will always be room for enthusiasts: We'll tear the components out of the PS6 and the NintendoUltraStar to make our own rig if we have to, removing any Windows/Starforce/SecuRom protection and software we don't like in the process.

Comments welcome
    "in montem soli non loquitur" basically means that you should not argue against what is obvious.

(> <) (\_/) Haha, die little bunny, die!
    (_)(_)(x.X) No soup for you!

becoming is for people who do not will to be

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan
    I doubt it because consoles always have those little features like not having to install the game allows to rent from stores.
    this is most probably the thing which keeps most consoles alive. Being able to rent a game and not sit and wait for it to install, being able to buy a game in the category say 'ps2' and know its going to work without having to consult your RAM and Graphic card etc...

Default Re: The End of Consoles... :(

Quote Originally Posted by Cadmium77 View Post
    Playstation 3 will blow the doors of XBox II...

And Playstation 3 will come out in March 2006 and it'll be obsole by July 2006.

PC's can be constantly upgraded. Consoles can't. Enjoy being locked into a big corporation's proprietary system that can't be altered with software that won't be mod friendly....

Not for me..
    At the risk of irking mods for thread necromancy, I bought a ps3 last year to play gran turismo 5. I like racing games and this is the best I have played. It's fun to do a two player split screen as well, more of a social machine than my PC.

Was surprised to find I had an account here, that was back in R:TW days!

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

How do you new people even find threads this old?

Why, oh why, did you have to bump this thread up again after ALL those years?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast