Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 3.4 XAI for PDER Bug and Balancing reporting

Default Re: 3.4 XAI for PDER Bug and Balancing reporting

Im talking about the problem that i report to you in june, its posted above, have two screnshots.
    You said to me that it should be an easy fix.
    Last edited by Hunter_PT; July 30, 2009 at 03:28 AM.

tobi_808's Avatar Civis

didn't take a look right in here for quite a long time, so ...

Is still anybody here to comment ? any White Rabbit,
    that show us the beautefull world behind stupid AI ?

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

We are still here just busy doing other stuff to.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Default PDER + XAI 3.4 feedback

There is my fresh experience.

I started to play with supreme expectations, according to the rumors about XAI. The result? Disappointing so far.

First I installed M2TW Kingdoms, then PDER, then patch for PDER, next I corrected the sound and at last I used the installer for XAI. Yes, while starting I can see the XAI logo.

In terms of battles, I can say the AI is more logical than ever before. It's no any more so easy, but still - it is not the battles that has irritated me ever since on Total war games. It was the campaign AI.

I play for Scotland (difficulty VH/VH), and I found it just as dull as ever before. I even doubt if XAI works correctly, did I forget something? This is not even possible after all what is written here . First, Danish attack without warning by mindless blockade of my port. Before, I had 'perfect' relationship with them. In 2 turns, I landed next to their mother cities, in which they had only governors. In another 2 turns I conquered them, what did they do after that? Have a guess.... nothing

No army returned to help, no one challenged me, even 4 turns later. And what happened then? Germans attacked. Guess how ........... they mindlessly blockaded the same port as the Danes before them.

Great shame!!!! After 8 years of playing Total war games I believed I finally found the savior who managed to make AI right (if the Creative Assembly can't!), but once again, I'm leaving the PC frustrated, disappointed and sad.
    Last edited by Lubo; November 09, 2009 at 07:20 AM.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: PDER + XAI 3.4 feedback

BAI issues are around unit balance, with bad unit balance Battle AI won't reach it's full effectiveness.

Same is for CAI. With wrong balance of powers on the campaign map, with wrong/faulty military unit recruitment, with screwed up economy in either of the two extremes, AI is bound to do stupid things.

So much for the PDER, mod needs, to put it mildly, A LOT of work.

If mod has core gameplay issues, no kind of AI will patch these holes. AI can only influence the computer to make better decisions at given circumstances, but it can't change altogether set of possible decisions as well as the outcome, which is somewhat random.

As for port blockade, you have to remember AI has different levels of aggressiveness, depending on difficulty. Why it shouldn't attack you just because you have 'perfect' relations? You imply they are completely brainless and shouldn't attack you until you are ready to invade them, lambs for the slaughter? Easy to predict AI is worst kind of AI you can ever think of. It invaded you for a reason, your relations influence the possibility of an attack but they can't entirely prohibit it. When an AI nation doesn't feel endangered by you, it won't have much if any reasons to attack you.

You mentioned also they were poorly defended. But what it has to do with AI tell me? Did they have no units to defend with or sent their entire army out of town for a walk (these two are different)? All that it tells me is that you spotted a right moment to attack and/or the mod creators themselves made the factions weaker on purpose, so they can't field too many units early in the game because they simply don't have enough infrastructure and can't afford them.

There are also basic, core flaws which can't be influenced by modders in any way, such as quite careless AI in the early game. Why is it careless? Because if it doesn't take risks to take nearby settlements early, it will get overrun by the player and it's other AI neighbours. It's natural process of elimination, weaker factions are annihilated and stronger factions keep getting stronger.

I have played few campaigns over PDER, and if not bad recruitment, unit stat and campaign balance by PDER (not XAI) devs, I wouldn't have many issues to moan about. In fact, I still got a load of fun there.

I propose that your next campaign will be some sort of continental power, which is encircled by few neighbours. Also change your campaign difficulty to normal or hard for more 'realistic' (i.e. predictable) and friendly diplomacy. You have difficulty sliders for a reason, use them.

You see, trying out a just one VH/VH game and then coming here criticising work of AI modders after very brief testing is just too much. Go to PDER forum and blame the mod developers for poor mod balance or blame yourself for choosing surprisingly easy in geo-political terms faction to play.

If I wanted I would make a scripted event which spawns 10 full stack armies of Danish vikings each time player chooses Scotland to play and order them to disembark and siege your settlements on turn 1. Would that be funny? Is it this kind of 'fun' you expect XAI team to pull off?

I mean, seriously, choose a faction such as France, give it a go for 100-150 turns and then come here with your feedback, all flaws which put you off and all brilliant moments which made you a day. Just don't judge an AI mod after few turns, because you may end up criticising the wrong person for your experience.

Frustrated, disappointed and sad ... doesn't sound at all like my XAI experience with current and previous releases, including my own, small integration projects. Not due to low expectations, quite the opposite. I could see enormous progression from release to release and I'm more than happy with current level of development. I'm a history geek myself to some degree and expect war/history games to both follow line of realism and possibilities.

Poor state of the AI in almost every Total War game shipped by CA was putting me off each time, making me ask the same question over and over - why did I buy this game? Well, now I know why, it's because of modders. They make these games brilliant and worth much more than those few bucks I spend on the boxes and cd's, even if they get no cent from me for that.

You see, criticising itself is fine, just how and what you criticise matters, makes a big difference.

Regards
    A.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

LUBO..
    Number one, you obviously have way too high of expectations for this game. Let me tell you why.

The plain game, itself has MANY faults, that cannot be worked around.

The Pder was pretty much my playground for initial development. However, there are many issues that have to be balanced, on the mods side to match up to the CAI. The CAI does have its faults too. However please keep in mind, that we have put in a huge amount of hours into this, and do our very best to improve things. What most do not realize is how broken the original files were. I can also verify that a very poor job was done on this game. Many, many functions do not work properly, and were half ass implemented, by the programmers.

So many of your complaints, maybe valid.. But we have fixed many things that you haven't even given it a chance with. Personally there are many people who enjoy XAI, you don't have to be one of them..but your true discontent is with the game..not our efforts. Your post sound like it is our fault, that this game fell short..that is not the case.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Let me reply to Achilla first -

well Achilla... thank you! Thank you for your counter criticism, I knew while I was writing that post, that my words are little harsh, which may cause a reaction of a similar tone. I am artist myself and I know it is very difficult to get criticized for the project you worked so hard on. But on the other hand, this forum felt like half-dead and I'm glad I found someone to talk to.

I can hardly remember all the points you made, what I recall is the situation with Danish. Well, I was pointing the fact, that they blockaded the port, while not being prepared for a war. I accidentally had my army nearby, thus I easily landed and conquered their cities. But right, I will keep playing to see what the future brings.

You mentioned the difficulty as well. Look - I've always played VH/VH, because I believed it affects how well the AI organizes its economy and war. You say it makes the AI unrealistically aggressive, but the question is - if I choose 'Hard', won't the AI be even more dull? Will it manage the war well? Will it 'think'? Because it's naturally not my intention to play against more aggressive AI, but against better organized and thinking AI. I'd love to feel I play against a real state, army, nation of thinking beings and not just against mindless computer.

I comprehend how it is to ask yourself - 'why did I buy this game?' and in my last paragraph I indicated the reason - I cannot enjoy the graphics, the effects and stuff while feeling I'm playing against a 'stupid' computer. To me - the AI should go as FIRST PRIORITY, whereas the Creative Assembly has priorities obviously elsewhere.

I'm more than excited and happy that some people on this Earth - modes - took the quest and remade the AI. Great respect to you as well, even tough I don't know if you are one of them. But I see you are a big fan, just like myself and I'm glad you came to this thread so I can talk to you.

to Xeryx - no, I do not want to make you guilty. Actually, even tough I know very little about programming, it didn't surprise me when you said 'a very poor job was done on this game'. I've feeling it couple of years. Some time ago, when I was reading the news about Empire Total War and its new AI, I was thinking 'I do not believe it!'. In fact, I do not believe the creative Assembly any more, but when I came to this forum, I found your mode and when I started reading your posts, your readme, I was thinking 'this is gonna be amazing!!!' .

And yes, I probably have just too high expectations and I think I'm not alone. If there is some way I can help you with fulfilling those expectations, write me. I will gladly know you more.

I will keep playing to see what happens.
    Last edited by Lubo; November 09, 2009 at 11:47 AM.

Lubo, In my experimentation of XAI, and it's always basically in a Beta state. We have added many dimensions to difficulty(battle and campaign). Because of many people complaining, I decided to make the VH setting very aggressive. However this has many issues. The main reason is that there is no way to reliably control garrisons. This one reason alone is the LARGEST downfall in the campaign portion of the game, and pretty much make the Human always have the advantage of sneak attack. I recommend trying it at hard, or medium. It will not be that easy.

I would recommend that you try Dave's Kingdoms Grand Campaign mod, it is much better balanced. It also has XAI files available for it. They should be in his forums.

Yes this forum seems half dead, because the MAJORITY of people who have played Med2 and then Empires, were so greatly disappointed that they left all together.
    Last edited by xeryx; November 09, 2009 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
    And yes, I probably have just too high expectations and I think I'm not alone. If there is some way I can help you with fulfilling those expectations, write me. I will gladly know you more.
    Recently I have found myself a fan of 'house rules', such as don't attack any faction for the first 30 turns, create alliances with factions I will never need to wage war with to fulfil my victory, 'help' enemy factions with map information and money to convince them to do the 'most logical' decision if all else fails and so on. Basically I just help my game a bit for it to be more enjoyable.

Best and most appreciated help will be playing campaigns on varied difficulties and writing AAR's (after action reports) each 20-30 turns, when something interesting happens. Pure text is okay, if you got the time to add some flavour add a screenshot or two of rememberable battle or perilous campaign map situation. It's because these kinds of feedback, 'live gameplay' of the XAI fans are best reward in itself and best kind of feedback in terms of improving the AI.

It's what keeps XAI members going and gives them information they need. Sadly, modders often have least time to thoroughly test stuff in full campaigns, even they don't have time to finish a full campaign within a year! So exhausting it is. That's why your feedback is so important, it tells them what they do is very important and of very high value itself.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.

Quote Originally Posted by xeryx View Post
    Lubo, In my experimentation of XAI, and it's always basically in a Beta state. We have added many dimensions to difficulty(battle and campaign). Because of many people complaining, I decided to make the VH setting very aggressive. However this has many issues. The main reason is that there is no way to reliably control garrisons. This one reason alone is the LARGEST downfall in the campaign portion of the game, and pretty much make the Human always have the advantage of sneak attack. I recommend trying it at hard, or medium. It will not be that easy.

I would recommend that you try Dave's Kingdoms Grand Campaign mod, it is much better balanced. It also has XAI files available for it. They should be in his forums.

Yes this forum seems half dead, because the MAJORITY of people who have played Med2 and then Empires, were so greatly disappointed that they left all together.
    I wouldn't be so pessimistic, most of the people go for nice graphics and effects. They see many beautifully modeled soldiers and their reaction is "Wow!!! that is a game!!!", but to be more accurate, those are usually under 20. I don't know if it comes by the age, but possibly by the experience, but even I used to be much more excited by the graphics of marching soldiers.. However, it has never been the most important

In terms of the difficulty - I can try it on Hard on normal, are you sure the AI won't think less?? I need clever AI, not aggressive. Yes, in my current game the AI is aggressive a lot, especially on the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    Recently I have found myself a fan of 'house rules', such as don't attack any faction for the first 30 turns, create alliances with factions I will never need to wage war with to fulfil my victory, 'help' enemy factions with map information and money to convince them to do the 'most logical' decision if all else fails and so on. Basically I just help my game a bit for it to be more enjoyable.

Best and most appreciated help will be playing campaigns on varied difficulties and writing AAR's (after action reports) each 20-30 turns, when something interesting happens. Pure text is okay, if you got the time to add some flavour add a screenshot or two of rememberable battle or perilous campaign map situation. It's because these kinds of feedback, 'live gameplay' of the XAI fans are best reward in itself and best kind of feedback in terms of improving the AI.

It's what keeps XAI members going and gives them information they need. Sadly, modders often have least time to thoroughly test stuff in full campaigns, even they don't have time to finish a full campaign within a year! So exhausting it is. That's why your feedback is so important, it tells them what they do is very important and of very high value itself.
    Yes, I am a fan of these rule too. I do try to behave logical and always naively expect AI behave logical.. but it never happens At least it never happened before trying XAI.

THis is the least I can do. I can always do the screenshot when I think this situation could be improved, and I will send you the text with my opinion together with the screens. Which key do I use for making screenshots?

Quote Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
    Yes, I am a fan of these rule too. I do try to behave logical and always naively expect AI behave logical.. but it never happens At least it never happened before trying XAI.

THis is the least I can do. I can always do the screenshot when I think this situation could be improved, and I will send you the text with my opinion together with the screens. Which key do I use for making screenshots?
    PrintScreen, and they land in respective folder where the game is installed in .tga format. You will need format converting tool such as Paint.NET (intuitive, easy graphic edition tool, can open and save many different formats).

Then you host image to imageshack.us (as .jpg), paste 'forum' code to the post and tag it with spoiler
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    for easier page loading.

As for AI being 'harder' or 'smarter' ... well, just notice that Xeryx alone is pretty much a designer of both CAI and BAI and he knows his stuff best. His intention was to make AI which is quite good on all levels, where the main difference is in aggressiveness.

Like you see being overly aggressive can often be a flaw itself in some situations when you take AI into consideration. Personally I would go for Hard, for a change. You should be able to tell the difference after some time eventually. If not the fact that we can edit those AI files in a quite limited way, it wouldn't be such a problem.

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

There is one problem that all M2TW mods share -- the AI wastes money. Being wasteful of its florins, the AI factions are especially sensitive to unit prices, building costs, etc. Even when said items are expertly balanced, the AI still finds ways to drive itself into bankruptcy, and apparent stupidity.

The fault, as has been said, is not the XAI.

How do we alleviate the problem? We start by using scripts that help the AI manage its money. What results is the intelligence that your current AI seemingly lacks.

I offer you the labor of months of experimentation. This, I hope, will set your PDER games right. Overwriting the respective sections, add this to your campaign_script.txt and start a new campaign.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;AI ASSISTANCE;;;;;;;;;;;

;##########################SLAVE FLORIN OVERFLOW MANAGER########################

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType slave
    console_command add_money slave, 2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType slave
    and Treasury > 250000
    console_command add_money slave, -150000
    end_monitor

;*************Not too much

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType england
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money england, -25000
    increment_kings_purse england -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType france
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money france, -25000
    increment_kings_purse france -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType hre
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money hre, -25000
    increment_kings_purse hre -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType spain
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money spain, -25000
    increment_kings_purse spain -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType venice
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money venice, -25000
    increment_kings_purse venice -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType sicily
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money sicily, -25000
    increment_kings_purse sicily -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType milan
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money milan, -25000
    increment_kings_purse milan -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType scotland
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money scotland, -25000
    increment_kings_purse scotland -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType byzantium
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money byzantium, -25000
    increment_kings_purse byzantium -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType russia
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money russia, -25000
    increment_kings_purse russia -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType turks
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money turks, -25000
    increment_kings_purse turks -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType egypt
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money egypt, -25000
    increment_kings_purse egypt -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType denmark
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money denmark, -25000
    increment_kings_purse denmark -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType portugal
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money portugal, -25000
    increment_kings_purse portugal -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType poland
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money poland, -25000
    increment_kings_purse poland -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType hungary
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money hungary, -25000
    increment_kings_purse hungary -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType moors
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money moors, -25000
    increment_kings_purse moors -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType norway
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money norway, -25000
    increment_kings_purse norway -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType armenia
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money armenia, -25000
    increment_kings_purse armenia -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType novgorod
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money novgorod, -25000
    increment_kings_purse novgorod -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType seljuks
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money seljuks, -25000
    increment_kings_purse seljuks -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType georgia
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money georgia, -25000
    increment_kings_purse georgia -2000
    end_monitor

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType aragon
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 100000
    console_command add_money aragon, -25000
    increment_kings_purse aragon -2000
    end_monitor

;*************economic hiccup

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse england -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse france -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse hre -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse spain -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse venice -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse sicily -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse milan -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse scotland -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse byzantium -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse russia -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse moors -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse turks -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse egypt -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse denmark -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse portugal -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse poland -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse hungary -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse novgorod -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse norway -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse aragon -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse armenia -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse georgia -500
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury > 10000
    and RandomPercent <= 25
    increment_kings_purse seljuks -500
    end_monitor

;#######################AI ASSISTANCE II############################

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;increment purse

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
    and FactionBuildingExists = stone_wall

if I_IsFactionAIControlled england
    increment_kings_purse england 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled spain
    increment_kings_purse spain 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled hre
    increment_kings_purse hre 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled venice
    increment_kings_purse venice 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled sicily
    increment_kings_purse sicily 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled milan
    increment_kings_purse milan 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled scotland
    increment_kings_purse scotland 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled byzantium
    increment_kings_purse byzantium 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled russia
    increment_kings_purse russia 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled turks
    increment_kings_purse turks 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled egypt
    increment_kings_purse egypt 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled denmark
    increment_kings_purse denmark 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled portugal
    increment_kings_purse portugal 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled hungary
    increment_kings_purse hungary 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled poland
    increment_kings_purse poland 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled moors
    increment_kings_purse moors 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled france
    increment_kings_purse france 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled norway
    increment_kings_purse norway 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled armenia
    increment_kings_purse armenia 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled novgorod
    increment_kings_purse novgorod 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled seljuks
    increment_kings_purse seljuks 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled georgia
    increment_kings_purse georgia 500
    end_if

if I_IsFactionAIControlled aragon
    increment_kings_purse aragon 500
    end_if

terminate_monitor
    end_monitor

and FactionBuildingExists = large_stone_wall

increment_kings_purse england 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse spain 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse hre 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse venice 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse sicily 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse milan 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse scotland 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse byzantium 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse russia 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse turks 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse egypt 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse denmark 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse portugal 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse hungary 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse poland 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse moors 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse france 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse norway 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse armenia 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse novgorod 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse seljuks 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse georgia 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse aragon 750
    end_if

terminate_monitor
    end_monitor

and FactionBuildingExists = huge_stone_wall

increment_kings_purse england 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse spain 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse hre 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse venice 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse sicily 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse milan 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse scotland 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse byzantium 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse russia 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse turks 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse egypt 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse denmark 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse portugal 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse hungary 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse poland 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse moors 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse france 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse norway 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse armenia 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse novgorod 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse seljuks 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse georgia 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse aragon 1000
    end_if

terminate_monitor
    end_monitor

and FactionBuildingExists = gunsmith

increment_kings_purse england 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse spain 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse hre 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse venice 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse sicily 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse milan 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse scotland 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse byzantium 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse russia 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse turks 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse egypt 1000
    end_if

end_if

increment_kings_purse portugal 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse hungary 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse poland 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse moors 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse france 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse norway 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse armenia 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse novgorod 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse seljuks 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse georgia 1000
    end_if

increment_kings_purse aragon 1000
    end_if

terminate_monitor
    end_monitor

and FactionBuildingExists = merchants_quarter

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

increment_kings_purse denmark 500
    end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

end_if

terminate_monitor
    end_monitor

and FactionBuildingExists = docklands

increment_kings_purse england 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse spain 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse hre 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse venice 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse sicily 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse milan 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse scotland 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse byzantium 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse russia 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse turks 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse egypt 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse denmark 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse portugal 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse hungary 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse poland 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse moors 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse france 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse norway 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse armenia 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse novgorod 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse seljuks 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse georgia 750
    end_if

increment_kings_purse aragon 750
    end_if

terminate_monitor
    end_monitor

;#######################NEGATIVE AI TREASURY ASSISTANCE########

;###########################################Broke?##############################

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money england, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money france, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money hre, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money spain, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money venice, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money sicily, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money milan, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money scotland, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money byzantium, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money russia, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money novgorod, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money moors, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money turks, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money egypt, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money denmark, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money portugal, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money poland, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money hungary, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money norway, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money aragon, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money georgia, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money armenia, 10000
    end_monitor

and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 1000
    console_command add_money seljuks, 10000
    end_monitor

;****************increment purse/financial bailouts************************

;##########################AI ASSISTANCE I########################

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType england
    and not SettlementIsLocal
    console_command add_money england, 750
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType scotland
    console_command add_money scotland, 250
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType france
    console_command add_money france, 750
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType hre
    console_command add_money hre, 750
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType spain
    console_command add_money spain, 750
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType venice
    console_command add_money venice, 50
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType sicily
    console_command add_money sicily, 750
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType milan
    console_command add_money milan, 50
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType portugal
    console_command add_money portugal, 350
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType aragon
    console_command add_money aragon, 500
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType denmark
    console_command add_money denmark, 500
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType norway
    console_command add_money norway, 400
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType poland
    console_command add_money poland, 500
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType hungary
    console_command add_money hungary, 250
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType russia
    console_command add_money russia, 750
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType novgorod
    console_command add_money novgorod, 500
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType byzantium
    console_command add_money byzantium, 250
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType armenia
    console_command add_money armenia, 1000
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType georgia
    console_command add_money georgia, 1000
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType turks
    console_command add_money turks, 750
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType seljuks
    console_command add_money seljuks, 750
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType egypt
    console_command add_money egypt, 1000
    end_monitor

monitor_event SettlementTurnStart FactionType moors
    console_command add_money moors, 750
    end_monitor
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Thanks to you all, Pnutmaster - thank you for revealing your version of the file. Let me now put there some pictures with the description. I will also add my own opinion, in fact the reason why I took that screen.

First, I will do it as a reflection of my personal experience, second as a feedback for XAI. Please do not take it critically, as I printscreened only the 'negative' aspects, I respect all the hard work you've done there, which is really admirable.

It's very late, i have a headache after today, had just difficult conversation, so sorry for all mistakes. I will try to be rather short and direct.

As you can see, my feedback comes after 55 turns of playing.

1. Attacking AI
    As you can see from the picture below, Germans has just besieged my town. The problem was, the it was the third time in a row, while the first two finished greatly unsuccessful. I am always thinking "why doesn't the AI learn from its own mistakes. Especially, when they are obvious mistakes..". Another point was, that it still attacked the same town! Despite of the fact that the second town was near, almost undefended...(By the way you can see my freshly conquered castle "Lubeck", which was defended by the general only..)

2. The alliance
    From those two screens you see, that I am in alliance with Nourish fraction, which will attack me without warrning few turn later. From friends to enemies, I ask why? Only because of the difficulty? I've been always fair to them!

3. Land battles
    I fought against Germans on their own ground. I had much worse army, led not by a good general (only 1 command, and no morale). However, my first battle finished laughingly well for me. I ask why? Am I so special battle tactician? Consequently, I tried to fight 2 full German armies and again I won... And I didn't loose that much troops (they were twice as many, had much better and expensive soldiers). Basically, the AI did the same mistake in every battle - give up the archers (they sent them too much to the front, and my light cavalry get them), then they were unable to engage me, I always managed to engage them...

NOTE: you can see I had two armies, but the second were only peasants led by the AI

4. Decisive and frustrating town battle

Right. I come to the main point, why I finished playing this mode. I had a battle, when Germans attacked my castle. There were couple of events that I cannot forgive.

First, routing soldiers were not routing, but stopped, and I was unable to move with them..

Second, routing soldiers that were moving couldn't get trough the gate back to the castle, as the gate simply didn't open... so they were massacred in front of the gate while waiting for it to open.

Third, when the enemy army finally cleared the space in front of the gate and took the ram, they were going to the different direction - out of the gate, not to it

Fourth and finally, enemy soldiers got stuck on their own tower, unable to move, I was unable to touch them, or only shoot them, so I had to wait about... 20, 25 min while the time passes.. I am sorry but I can't imagine my battles taking additional 25min each

Well I hope I helped by my feedback, now I'm thinking to go for Dave's Kingdoms Grand Campaign mod, as xeryx recommended me earlier. Please tell me what you think about those situations I displayed.

Regards, Lubomir
    Last edited by Lubo; November 11, 2009 at 07:57 AM.

Thanks for the feedback, hope your head feels better.

To address the campaign AI issues
    1) You cannot designate a cities defense strength in to the AI. It looks at more broad variables.
    2) Also it is going to choose a bordering region before it chooses over the ocean regions.
    3) Diplomacy, there are far more reasons for them to turn on you. There are at least 5 different ones that I can think of. You should pay attention to your actions and those of your allies. it can be a simple re-alignment of allies. Or inherited distrust of two factions. Sometimes just making the wrong ally can trigger a world war.

BAI.
    1) be aware there are unit balance issues within PDER.
    2) Your first battle, you had over 2700 troops vs, 1400 you should have been able to easily win.
    3) Your second battle is tougher to determine, because I do not know the AI's Army composition.
    A number of things can turn a battle. I need more info. Are you seeing flanking, and regrouping of units..etc.
    4) Gates do not always open if an enemy is near enough, it prevents the enemy from piggy backing in with routing soldiers.
    5) The AI can change it's mind about using the ram. I will look into that further.
    6) Those castle walls look like they are not all the same height? I have not seen that before? and that wouldn't be the fault of XAI.
    7) Units getting stuck has always happened, it is the nature of the game. I suggest using normal sized armies, it will happen less.

Here is my suggestion to you for now. Just go play and enjoy. I think it takes time to learn the nuances of XAI. Many of the things you are reporting, are not xai specific but problems within the game itself. Go in and study and experiment with diplomacy, and many other things. Take your time, and enjoy things. Take screen shots, and then sit back and formulate some objective thoughts. I really suggest playing more than one game with XAI, before reporting.

I would also double check your installation, of the BAI. Also verify in the PDER. bat launcher IO files first command is in there. Just make sure you can see the difference between vanilla PDER and XAI. Thanks

Don't think I'm being dismissive, i'm not. I pay attention to the posts, but do not always address each issue until I know more.

I really think you will enjoy, many things about XAI, and I bet you don't even realize what they are because they are under the hood. Have a good day!
    Last edited by xeryx; November 11, 2009 at 09:37 AM.

Thanks Xeryx - yes my head is better. Sometimes I get the headache after long sitting in front of the PC, perhaps you know it too . I'm just installing the Great Campaign mode, as you recommended. This time, I will go possibly for H/VH, or even N/VH. I hope you were right and it won't be that easy, I'm looking for a game where I'd feel like I'm playing against people, not a computer.

By the way, in terms of land battles - don't count my additional reinforces as troops. They were peasants only... You see in the second battle, they did not kill a soul. And the German army was much better armed - mostly spearmen (armored sergeants), then man at arms and German swordsmen (with huge double handed swords). Archers - crossbow militia. No cavalry except the captain - feudal Knights. Sorry to say that, but no reason for such victories..
    Last edited by Lubo; November 11, 2009 at 09:59 AM.

I did not give up playing. I patched the game to 1.5 and I started over playing at H/VH. To see the difference, I chose Scotland again. Please find the following feedback:

================================================================================

After all the criticism I have said about XAI (due to my unfulfilled high expectations), I think I owe him many words of prise. Now I can say that very well deserved words of prise. The AI works now wonderfully in many many many ways.. I cannot stop wondering how is the AI able to surprise me.
    - The policy works - nations tend to make alliances and fight against its enemies.
    - The trade is great - when AI accepts the trade it's usually logical. AI is opened to trade cities, military access or even attacks on another fractions. For example I got a land from English for attacking Germans as they urgently needed help!
    - I want to underline the AI's expansion. Those who played Medieval I, do you remember how were nations able to expand and rule the Europe? The mechanics were much easier then, therefore the AI worked better then in ROME or Medieval II, but now - after so many years I was a witness of French expansion and conquering almost whole West Europe! They were so strong, that they attacked me, Dannes and Genova while being in war with English and still managed to keep conquering!
    - Sometimes I see the signs of AI's defending. It usually defends bridges and mountain passes.
    - In the battle, you can not be certain about winning any longer, if the AI has some advantage (good general, defeds city). I personally think I'm not a bad tactician and I lost two battles (look at the screens) I thought I should win! This never happens with original AI. Have to say that especially in those moments you realize that the AI has REALLY improved

================================================================================

As you can see yourself, the game now is extremely different from my previous game. Is it the patch? Or only the difficulty? Then Xeryx - you could consider lowering the aggressiveness on VH. I'm not sure if anyone finds plays it tough..

Let me now come to the screens. There are some issues that deserve our attention as they may be improved.

Overall

My feedback and screens come this time after 74 turns

Sometimes still too easy!

As I mentioned, the AI makes you realize that it's much cleverer then before. But still, in some fights, it gives up the soldiers too easily! Have a look at this situation: I had only general, no hitpoints, and AI came with 450 spear militia and 400 crossbowmen. Only what I was doing, was repeatably charging which resulted like this:

Archers only victims?

In every single battle, the archers are put too much in to the front. I always have cavalry and it's easy to kill all the archers before the battle even starts. Archers can be used much better than that! They can try to engage the army and fight malee from the back or sides, or they can stand in the back and try to shoot the general.. but this?

Defend the coast!

The AI unfortunatelly poorly defends its coast. let's say that French are in war with England and Scotland - tthe danger can come only from the sea. But the French fleet is down, so they should put soldiers into coastal cities and not leave in only generals! Nothing was easier, than to put a spy in, come with a fleet, disembark the army and in one turn conquer the city if the spy opens the gates . Can you do it easier and quicker?

English = stupid traders

... which is of course nonsense. Let me explain. As you can see from my very first screen, I owe most of the England now, but I'm still in alliance with English. Do you ask how? Think about this - while fighting against French, I often manage to conquer the cities (especially the coastal ), but I know that I can't hold them for long. French have armies close and I will loose them soon. So I destroyed all buildings in and came to English saying "hey, do you want two regions in France for York?" and they happliy accepted while kissing my hands and giving me 5000 gold. 10 turns later, they lost them as French conquered them back . How could we improve that? Perhaps AI can consider whether it can sufficiently defend the new regions..

AI doesn't use enough diplomats

Well, when I conquered maybe three French regions, I think it's enough for them to realize that the sooner we make a ceasefire, the better for them. This was demonstrated when they later agreed with giving me a region for a ceasefire, but why they didn't come to me? In fact, they needed it!

Fascinating battle!

At last, I want to present to you one for the most amazing battles I've played. Why? Because I lost ! We had similar quality of the troops. My general was , they had decent ones, but I had the advantage of defending. AI attacked me extremely quickly and extremely well. They paralyzed my heavy calvary, on which I counted the most. Without it, I had no chance..

Last edited by Lubo; November 13, 2009 at 10:16 AM.

It is the Patch. It is because we wrote XAI for the 1.5 engine which has many signifigant improvements. What is very funny though is that hardly anyone noticed them, but they were very signifigant starting with 1.3.

Also remember level will play a part in things as well. I have not finished balancing of the levels, because of the time involved with campaining.

Thank you for the good words, please keep playing and reporting. This will only enhance our efforts.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345