Thread: first major problem

Default first major problem

aside from the painful install and the fact all the mod files don't register in mod manger as mod packs (they where under graphics!?) the new change log looked good so i fire it up and hit the first snag.
    massive slowdowns on turn changes opening city screens and messages my comp can keep up with the graphics easily enough but i still have a singles core Pentium (3.4GH i admit) which frankly aint up to snuff for all the extra work that alpacas addition to the mod is producing i dint get the problem when running APE 1.31 so my question is in future rather than make the two mods one whole package could it be broken in two so some of us could run just APE i like this mod but i wont use it if it turns my pc into a snail

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Default Re: first major problem

Quote Originally Posted by kae936 View Post
    aside from the painful install and the fact all the mod files don't register in mod manger as mod packs (they where under graphics!?) the new change log looked good so i fire it up and hit the first snag.
    massive slowdowns on turn changes opening city screens and messages my comp can keep up with the graphics easily enough but i still have a singles core Pentium (3.4GH i admit) which frankly aint up to snuff for all the extra work that alpacas addition to the mod is producing i dint get the problem when running APE 1.31 so my question is in future rather than make the two mods one whole package could it be broken in two so some of us could run just APE i like this mod but i wont use it if it turns my pc into a snail
    Well... I have a dual core CPU but since ETW is only using half of it your CPU is faster than mine (2.66GHz) and I have no significant slowdown at all. In fact the amount of CPU time consumed by TI is really small compared to the original's pathfinding times. I think there must be some other problem.

Which OS are you running? Check which programs are running in the background. You can also try to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and check how much memory ETW consumes when running, maybe it's using the pagefile.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

xp service pack 2
    4GB of ram in the pc but only 2gb shows up
    page file of 785-1000 on a hard drive seperate from the games hard drive (running at 1000rpm)
    asus 4870 graphics

xp service pack 2
    4GB of ram in the pc but only 2gb shows up
    page file of 785-1000 on a hard drive seperate from the games hard drive (running at 1000rpm)
    asus 4870 graphics
    Did you check how much memory ETW consumes when running APE:TI?

50% cpu apox and 735,864k mem usage

this stays pretty much constant during a turn change exept the mem usage jusm up to 785,820k

50% cpu apox and 735,864k mem usage

this stays pretty much constant during a turn change exept the mem usage jusm up to 785,820k
    And you're saying this only happens when playing APE:TI? I don't have any idea right now.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

I haven't experienced this issue yet; I've played through almost 4 campaigns with APE: TI at the moment (since before the merger even.)

Does it seem to matter what faction? I'm kind of at a loss for what may be happening here.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

well i think its TI related coz using just APE it dint take nearly so long and TI is the only change and the fact the slows occur on turn changes MSG and city panels which are affected by Ti

well i think its TI related coz using just APE it dint take nearly so long and TI is the only change and the fact the slows occur on turn changes MSG and city panels which are affected by Ti
    What kind of messages do you mean? The trait gained event?

trait gain and normal ones but not so much on the normal stuff

trait gain and normal ones but not so much on the normal stuff
    Download and apply the hotfix!

The money issue should be corrected, let us know the results! (might have to go back a few years to before the gain)

Seraph07's Avatar Semisalis

kae, go to control panel and open up power settings, advanced options, and processer management. After playing ETW on my new laptop I discovered max proccesor usage was defaulted at 50% , Switching it up to 100 made, well twice the difference

i use a desktop

i use a desktop
    The setting Seraph07 speaks about does exist on desktops as well - though you are correct in that most desktops won't have this option changed.

i applied the hotfix 3 and this has cut the slowdowns on msgs turn changes remain a pain but i think thats more to do with my processor being very old

i applied the hotfix 3 and this has cut the slowdowns on msgs turn changes remain a pain but i think thats more to do with my processor being very old
    Oh I think it could be that you have an issue with negative town wealth that was caused by a bug in the research money script. Try a new campaign and see if that lags, too.

notger's Avatar Decanus

Besides: Dual Cores are more powerful than single-cores, even when their Mhz-value is far below the other value, due to better internal management and broader piping.

Sorry, I felt I should write that, because I often see the argument that single-cores are faster than dual-cores due to the clock speed, but core-speed is not too important, it is only one of a large number of factors that determine calculation speed.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

-> 2Ghz dual-cores are minimum four times as fast as 4Ghz single-cores. (I updated my processor some months ago and believe me ... the difference is huge, even with programs that use only one core. TF2 got a boost of 100% in single-core-mode!)
    Last edited by notger; June 01, 2009 at 12:50 PM.