Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: How to add new building slots upgrading cities - NEW

Default Re: How to convert a minor city to a major one-FINAL

Ok, it will keep the Major City options then. So it's not converted in a real minor city

Also, should the region.esf's entries for the new minor cities building slots not be deleted?

Edit: I got it working! At last! Heureka!

Thanks for the tutorial man
    Last edited by Lazy Knight; September 28, 2009 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Knight View Post
    Ok, it will keep the Major City options then. So it's not converted in a real minor city

Also, should the region.esf's entries for the new minor cities building slots not be deleted?

Edit: I got it working! At last! Heureka!

Thanks for the tutorial man
    You are welcome ! As you should already know you don't change x-major (and now minor) regions.esf entries, or you get a CTD.

Gomer_Pyle's Avatar Ducenarius

Hi husserlTW. I have followed your tut to the letter and I simply get CTD when starting to load the campaign. Have you changed the tut anything? Last time I did this i seem to remember that you had to delete building slots from region.esf from your region turned minor (from major). Example. Tunis made minor and Hannover made major. Add slots for hannover and delete for tunis? Or dont touch it???

Also...

Quote you:

Last step is to make some changes in regions.esf file. Open the file with EsfEditor and in root/region_data/regions find the region of the city you are converting (Hannover). In regions/settlement_and_slots/slot_descriptions clone 4 times the first slot_descriptions. In the first slot_descriptions change the …..: settlement_minor in the first and second line with settlement_government.

Do you need to change the second line? Lets say first line is settlement:savoy:turin:settlement_government and second line: settlement_minor Then why doesnt it crash with this? What does the second line actually do?

Hope i made sence. Thanks.

We make war that we may live in peace.

-Aristotle-

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer_Pyle View Post
    Hi husserlTW. I have followed your tut to the letter and I simply get CTD when starting to load the campaign. Have you changed the tut anything? Last time I did this i seem to remember that you had to delete building slots from region.esf from your region turned minor (from major). Example. Tunis made minor and Hannover made major. Add slots for hannover and delete for tunis? Or dont touch it???

Also...

Quote you:

Last step is to make some changes in regions.esf file. Open the file with EsfEditor and in root/region_data/regions find the region of the city you are converting (Hannover). In regions/settlement_and_slots/slot_descriptions clone 4 times the first slot_descriptions. In the first slot_descriptions change the …..: settlement_minor in the first and second line with settlement_government.

Do you need to change the second line? Lets say first line is settlement:savoy:turin:settlement_government and second line: settlement_minor Then why doesnt it crash with this? What does the second line actually do?

Hope i made sence. Thanks.
    You don't touch the regions.esf entries for the x-major and now minor city (Tunis in your case). The errors are usually made by wrong entries like id's, type of buildings, grammatical errors, etc.

Edit: Be sure that you used the right CAI_SETTLEMENT id. Check if they belong to the right region/faction.
    Last edited by husserlTW; October 15, 2009 at 11:16 AM.

I did this for Jerusalem and Savoy once and then i deleted the old entries for jerusalem (turned minor) and that worked.

Also I put CAI_SETTLEMENT id (hannover = 2361) over the 3 buildings i took from tunis. Tunis had 1543 . And the building ID was correct too. Did this over and over again 3 times.

How is the coordinates for newly made minor city done in region.esf then? i know we did change it in startpos.esf (bottom of your DataConvSheet)

Edit: I managed to get it to work. You must delete the region.esf slots for your old major city. Only way i got it to work. Cannot see anything not working correctly.
    Last edited by Gomer_Pyle; October 15, 2009 at 11:47 AM.

-Aristotle-

I did this for Jerusalem and Savoy once and then i deleted the old entries for jerusalem (turned minor) and that worked.
    Do as you like, my opinion is not to touch them or else you'll get a CTD.

How is the coordinates for newly made minor city done in region.esf then? i know we did change it in startpos.esf (bottom of your DataConvSheet)
    DataConvSheet is only for startpos.esf (Tunis) not regions.esf. The coordinates of regions.esf has nothing to do with the position of the city in campaign map (that is determined by startpos). They link to several records of CAI field in startpos and to other map files like poi.esf, etc., that's why you can't delete regions.esf entries. You are allowed only to add.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

I snooped around more in the CAI entries. I'm pretty sure now that this method is NOT AI-safe. I don't want to go much into, but the AI will not be able to upgrade your buildings because it won't even know they're there. You have to edit the appropriate CAI_INTERFACE_MANAGERs by removing the beliefs, desires and intentions related to the slots from the old AI and adding them to the new AI. Did you ever see the AI building up these new slots?

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

hussarltw: Well it works and we in IS havent had a CTD with this approach to this date. If we do then I will do as you think.

alpaca: Have you actually seen this happen? The AI not upgrading i mean? Reason being I do beleave I saw Savoy upgrading buildings.

Anyways. The slots from the old AI you talk about. Are they linked to the CAI buildings??? The ones I just changed ownership on???

Let me refrase this. How would you know which slots in CAI_INTERFACE_MANAGER that is owned by in my example Hannover and Barbary States.
    Last edited by Gomer_Pyle; October 15, 2009 at 12:12 PM.

-Aristotle-

hussarltw: Well it works and we in IS havent had a CTD with this approach to this date. If we do then I will do as you think.

alpaca: Have you actually seen this happen? The AI not upgrading i mean? Reason being I do beleave I saw Savoy upgrading buildings.

Anyways. The slots from the old AI you talk about. Are they linked to the CAI buildings??? The ones I just changed ownership on???

Let me refrase this. How would you know which slots in CAI_INTERFACE_MANAGER that is owned by in my example Hannover and Barbary States.
    Well I have tried adding a slot to a faction and it worked fine for the player but the AI couldn't do anything with it. I'd be happy to be proven wrong anyways so if you have time and a startpos where this is implemented, conduct a test. Run the game and see if the AI upgrades the slots you added. If it didn't after 30 turns I'm probably right.

You would search for the ID of your CAI_WORLD_BUILDING_SLOT and find the CAI_BELIEF that is tied to it. The CAI_INTERFACE_MANAGERS are for specific factions, so the faction that has the right beliefs, desires and intentions, should think it owns the slot while the faction you added the slot to won't believe it has it. At least, that's my current understanding.

Will do... Thanks Alpaca.

I thought the BELIEF was tied up to religion???

Edit:

I got a guy testing it now. He says Hannover upgraded the military and happiness buildings in turn 2. Will test myself too.
    Last edited by Gomer_Pyle; October 15, 2009 at 12:34 PM.

-Aristotle-

Will do... Thanks Alpaca.

I thought the BELIEF was tied up to religion???

Edit:

I got a guy testing it now. He says Hannover upgraded the military and happiness buildings in turn 2. Will test myself too.
    No, it's not tied to religion

Sounds like a good piece of news though.

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    I snooped around more in the CAI entries. I'm pretty sure now that this method is NOT AI-safe. I don't want to go much into, but the AI will not be able to upgrade your buildings because it won't even know they're there. You have to edit the appropriate CAI_INTERFACE_MANAGERs by removing the beliefs, desires and intentions related to the slots from the old AI and adding them to the new AI. Did you ever see the AI building up these new slots?
    I think this is not quite right. Here we don't have to do with new id's. That was the problem with the exiting bug. The AI finds the entries because they exist and adds them to the new faction owner's BDI as it is determined by the CAI owner id. It is like they've been captured by another faction.

Anyway if this side of view was correct we shouldn't be able to make any ownership changes in regions, armies, etc. But we can do all these and teh AI has no problem to handle them.

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    I think this is not quite right. Here we don't have to do with new id's. That was the problem with the exiting bug. The AI finds the entries because they exist and adds them to the new faction owner's BDI as it is determined by the CAI owner id. It is like they've been captured by another faction.

Anyway if this side of view was correct we shouldn't be able to make any ownership changes in regions, armies, etc. But we can do all these and teh AI has no problem to handle them.
    Hmm that's a point indeed. So if you check a savegame the CAI entries have moved to the correct interface manager?

Hmm that's a point indeed. So if you check a savegame the CAI entries have moved to the correct interface manager?
    Playing as Sweden in a Late Campaign mod I am working on, in the first 3 years Finland upgrades already 2 slots:

Yeah I am reporting upgrading works great.

However I do not seem to be able to get it to work without actually deleting the entries of x-major regions in region.esf. Crashes me out. However I have previously given Admiralty to Copenhagen from St.Petersburg. Then I did not need to delete the region.esf entry for the admiralty in St.Petersburg. Another thing too. Denmarks Admiralty do not upgrade if Denmark is played by AI. Will deleting the region.esf entry for St.Petersburg fix this?

What actually happens if I do delete these x-major entries in region.esf? You say CTD but I have yet to experience that...

-Aristotle-

Instead of a CTD you now get an infinite loop on exit (the game won't exit but will stay open)

I'm glad to be proved wrong.

Yeah I am reporting upgrading works great.

However I do not seem to be able to get it to work without actually deleting the entries of x-major regions in region.esf. Crashes me out. However I have previously given Admiralty to Copenhagen from St.Petersburg. Then I did not need to delete the region.esf entry for the admiralty in St.Petersburg. Another thing too. Denmarks Admiralty do not upgrade if Denmark is played by AI. Will deleting the region.esf entry for St.Petersburg fix this?

What actually happens if I do delete these x-major entries in region.esf? You say CTD but I have yet to experience that...
    Instead of a CTD you now get an infinite loop on exit (the game won't exit but will stay open)

I'm glad to be proved wrong.
    I've made many conversions of all kinds. Especially in a mod of mine for 1.3 patch where all emergent had 4 or 5 slots major cities (13 conversions in the same game). I never had any problems with upgrade or ctd.

Edit: for me deleting regions.esf slots is always ctd.

Denmarks Admiralty do not upgrade if Denmark is played by AI. Will deleting the region.esf entry for St.Petersburg fix this?
    Does Denmark owns a naval-port? I mean does she needs to upgrade it the period you checked AI? Also has the AI develop the necessary technology to be able upgrade admiralty?

Yeah they own a shipyard. They still didnt upgrade. So i decided to prebuild the admiralty for them and also give them the starting tech so they could upgrade to naval board. Still nothing even after 15 turns. However i see something else too. St.Petersburg where I stole Admiralty for Copenhagen isnt upgrading one of their building slots (cannon foundry) either. But all others they do. :S Really weird. Only difference I havent tried is deleting the region.esf entry for the admiralty in St.Petersburg. Will try that and report back.

Edit: When will the CTD occour if you delete the region.esf entries??? During certain gameplay moves or on campaign load?

-Aristotle-

Yeah they own a shipyard. They still didnt upgrade. So i decided to prebuild the admiralty for them and also give them the starting tech so they could upgrade to naval board. Still nothing even after 15 turns. However i see something else too. St.Petersburg where I stole Admiralty for Copenhagen isnt upgrading one of their building slots (cannon foundry) either. But all others they do. :S Really weird. Only difference I havent tried is deleting the region.esf entry for the admiralty in St.Petersburg. Will try that and report back.

Edit: When will the CTD occour if you delete the region.esf entries??? During certain gameplay moves or on campaign load?
    On campaign load.