Thread: Adding files into a pack

Default Adding files into a pack

Hi all just wondering about a problem im having with adding files (that i have edited) into a mod pack. I am trying to add a texture for a new unit i am creating but when i right click on the pack (in PFM) and go to add file it gives an error saying added files must be in the relative directory or sub directory. So i tried to put it in the textures folder of the pack by right clicking the textures folder and hitting add file. Same problem i get the same error. I must be adding the file in the wrong manner. Any help?

Default Re: Adding files into a pack

Quote Originally Posted by apieceoftofu View Post
    Hi all just wondering about a problem im having with adding files (that i have edited) into a mod pack. I am trying to add a texture for a new unit i am creating but when i right click on the pack (in PFM) and go to add file it gives an error saying added files must be in the relative directory or sub directory. So i tried to put it in the textures folder of the pack by right clicking the textures folder and hitting add file. Same problem i get the same error. I must be adding the file in the wrong manner. Any help?
    When you first created the pack you were given the option of choosing a folder to which the .pack's structure would be relative. By default it's the data folder, but you choose anywhere. You need to put your file in a location that mirror's it's place in the pack. For example, if you chose to make everything relative to the data folder, then your texture needs to be in data/unitmodels/textures. If you made it relative to your folder MyModStuff, it should be in MyModStuff/unitmodels/textures.

Wait so i didn't create this pack file. I took one of CA's textures (from models.pack) and exported it to my desktop. Then i edited it with GIMP and resaved it. Now where do i put so i can set it as my new units texture in the mod?

Also i exported the localisation.loc file from the patch_en pack. I am now trying to import it into my_mod.pack and its giving me the same error. So where do i put that one?

Thanx for your help so far
    Last edited by apieceoftofu; May 28, 2009 at 08:53 PM.

Wait so i didn't create this pack file. I took one of CA's textures (from models.pack) and exported it to my desktop. Then i edited it with GIMP and resaved it. Now where do i put so i can set it as my new units texture in the mod?

Also i exported the localisation.loc file from the patch_en pack. I am now trying to import it into my_mod.pack and its giving me the same error. So where do i put that one?

Thanx for your help so far
    They need to be in your data folder in the same relative position as they are in the .pack file. Your texture needs to be in data/unitmodels/textures. If your loc file was exported to tsv, it doesn't matter where it is. But if it was extracted and you're trying to add it as a file, it needs to be in data/text.

So i don't even add them to my_mod.pack? I just stick them in the data file?

So i don't even add them to my_mod.pack? I just stick them in the data file?
    No, you have to stick them in the correct position in your data file before you add them to the pack.

Think about it this way: if you open models.pack with the Pack File Manager, you'll see the textures are in models.pack/unitmodels/textures. When it loads, ETW makes a list of textures files in that location. When it sees [my_mod].pack (or whatever you've called your mod), ETW needs to know where to stick the info you've provided. You do that by mimicking the structure in the files you want to alter. By putting your texture in data/unitmodels/textures before you add the file to PFM, you're mapping where the file needs to go: it needs to join the other textures in .../unitmodels/textures. PFM is smart enough to see something in desktop/textures to know that ETW won't have a clue where that is, so it returns an error when you try to add the file. Once the texture is in the correct position in your folders and added to your pack, you'll see that it is in the following position: my_mod.pack/unitmodels/textures. Now ETW with know where it belongs.
    Last edited by erasmus777; May 29, 2009 at 01:47 PM.

OOOO so i exported it to the wrong place. I should have exported it to my data folder instead of my desktop?

OOOO so i exported it to the wrong place. I should have exported it to my data folder instead of my desktop?
    Yeah, or another folder that's going to stay put. If you use another folder, just make sure you select it when you create the .pack and get asked what folder you want all files to be relative to.

k testing it out now

BALLIN!!! you are a smart man! + rep thanx!

Hey one quick thing. Do you know of any likely causes of me not being able to see my custom unit? I go into the land battle and look under france who i gave this unit to and i cant see my unit. I have tried both late and early eras. Any ideas?

o wait nvm i can see them but things are weird. When i click the chek mark to begin the battle i CTD and the name isnt correct and neither are the stats. Sry for double post i just found him.

Civis

could you send some screens from pfm that would be easier to analyze, or upload the file then we can see whats wrong

MODMEMBER SKINNING/RESEARCH

---DON'T MENTION THE WAR!---

yea i will upload my_mod.pack if thats wat you need?

heres the pack file archived into a rar. it wouldnt let me upload just the .pack file in normal form and the exact problem is that my new unit does appear but it has the wrong UnitCard even though i made one for him and when i try to play with a unit of them the game CTD's
    Last edited by apieceoftofu; May 30, 2009 at 10:29 AM.

bump