Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Proper Militia Mod v1.3 - Now With Minutemen And Revamped Colors

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Default Re: Proper Militia Mod v1.0 - more realistic model and new textures

Spanky,

I just installed A Proper Empire : Terra Incognita, but it appears that that mod replaces the models/textures of the militia in-game with an episodic unit (I think they are English Settler Infantry from the Jamestown Chapter of RTI). Is there any way that I can make your Proper Militia mod display instead? I much prefer yours, and they add a level of emersion that can't be matched. I understand that some militias were uniformed in "hand-me-downs" from regular infantry, but for them to be wearing 1600's uniforms is just too much for me

Anyways, do you have any advice on what I can do? It seems like the new militia in APE:TI are integral to the mod, and they aren't being overwritten by your militia mod. Any ideas?

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

ahhh ha! so it is APE thats causing that issue. I sorta hadda hunch.
    "Pain is no evil, Unless it Conquers Us"

Quote Originally Posted by KippyK View Post
    Spanky,

I just installed A Proper Empire : Terra Incognita, but it appears that that mod replaces the models/textures of the militia in-game with an episodic unit (I think they are English Settler Infantry from the Jamestown Chapter of RTI). Is there any way that I can make your Proper Militia mod display instead? I much prefer yours, and they add a level of emersion that can't be matched. I understand that some militias were uniformed in "hand-me-downs" from regular infantry, but for them to be wearing 1600's uniforms is just too much for me

Anyways, do you have any advice on what I can do? It seems like the new militia in APE:TI are integral to the mod, and they aren't being overwritten by your militia mod. Any ideas?

Thanks, and keep up the great work!
    I think I know what the problem is. Are you familiar with the land units table in the db directory? It's the file that assigns a model to each unit. APE probably uses that file, while my mod just renames the original models. But so, in this case, APE's units table is telling the game to use the model from that episode rather than euro_militia_infantry. If you are familiar with pack manager, what you need to do is go into that table in the APE mod pack and reassign all the euro militias (there are three, maybe four) back to euro_militia_infantry.

eyup, looked into that myself. Perhaps tommarrow on my day off i'll mess around with it. It'd be cool if they incorporated this mod into their next update. oOOoo and the faction specific music one too. This game just rocks now

Hmm, I think I might have made a boo-boo while trying to correct this earlier. I first mentioned the problem to l33t (Leader of APE:TI), and he suggested deleted the faction table from his ModCore.pack. This didn't solve the problem, but now I'm lacking that file... is that where the land units table would have been? I'll ask him for a clean back up and see...

Quote Originally Posted by Bad0pel View Post
    eyup, looked into that myself. Perhaps tommarrow on my day off i'll mess around with it. It'd be cool if they incorporated this mod into their next update. oOOoo and the faction specific music one too. This game just rocks now
    Yes, I would very much love to see a collaboration, because I'm having trouble at the moment getting Spanky's militia to show up. Their immersion factor is unmatched, and I'm actually delaying my first APE:TI campaign for as long as I can because I was actually planning on using militia quite a bit.

It'll be worth the wait, APE's campaign is very well done and allied armies seem to actually chip in and help. But alot of the time you see militia running around, so it would benefit from this mod greatly once they can run smoothly together.

Provincial cavalry - WIP

Here is a preview of the provincial cavalry, the mounted counterpart to the foot militia. These will be in 1.1.

Below is the generic skin - it is practically finished - and I will also be providing replacements for the individual major nations skins, as with the infantry. The approach here is to have the whole coat in the faction color this time, since, as mentioned, cavalry was likely to be even closer in uniform to the regular troops. What differentiates these guys from the 'regiment of horse' troopers are the slightly rougher boots and breeches, which are taken from the vanilla provincial skins; the waistcoats, which are from the militia infantry, one of the two shades of gloves in brown rather than buff yellow, and the fact that the cuffs, turnbacks and lacing are also held in the faction color. This makes the provincials look like proper cavalry, but with less decoration corresponding to their lower status. Waistcoats and breeches are also in two different shades.

ZnurX's Avatar Libertus

Great work! Downloading!

plissken3's Avatar Decanus

WOW those provincial cavalry look fantastic far better than CA version(sorry CA)
    I look forward to 1.1 version -Thanks again spanky
    WHY NOT TRY MY MODS BELOW - FOR EMPIRE & NAPOLEON
    here:BetterMusicMod& here:SharpeThemeMod
    & here:WarpathPictureMod

Quote Originally Posted by plissken3 View Post
    WOW those provincial cavalry look fantastic far better than CA version(sorry CA)
    I look forward to 1.1 version -Thanks again spanky
    They are practically done. Came up with an additional way to make them unique (the color of the shoulder strap) and I have all the major nations covered - though most of them will stick to the general faction color-based pattern in this case.

I'm going to see if I can figure out the unit cards, then I'll release this puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
    Great work! Is it possible to have several varying coat colors within each unit? Like three different shades of gray, brown or blue....depending on what nations' militia it is?
    I just tested this and unfortunately, no - my suspicions have been confirmed. The sleeves in these files are assigned randomly to the rest of the coat. Which means that shape and number of pockets, style of sleeve, etc. will vary greatly, but the coats all need to be in one shade. When I tested two different shades of coats and sleeves, some coats had the right colored sleeve and some had the wrong one.

Very unfortunate. I have to say this smacks of a rush job again, like CA didn't have the time to think it through. The only way to have different shades - but not colors, obviously - in one unit is to have the coats in the faction color. Which in 18th century armies was often not the case, in all but the line infantry.

That was the bad news. The good news is that I am done with the provincial cavalry and the unit cards - so 1.1 is ready for release. Uploading now.

Unit cards for 1.1

You'll see more screenshots of the new provincial cavalry in the second post in this thread, once I have the file uploaded and the first post updated. In the meantime, here's a glimpse of what the unit cards look like, just fyi.

The provincial cavalry and militia infantry are in the bottom row, just before the icon for the minutemen (which are unchanged, as in vanilla). The militia infantry icon is displayed without faction color - because it is incredibly hard to get right on that image, but more importantly because there are no invidual color schemes for these icons - you can't have the faction color on the lapels for the Portuguese, on the coat for the Russians and a completely different color for the French, as on the skins themselves. So every faction gets this icon. The cavalry, on the other hand, has the faction color display on the coat. Both infantry and cavalry also have appropriate large images for the information screens.

Can't wait! After I get the new version, I'm gonna poke around my files and try to get this compatible with a fresh install of APE:TI in the file you suggested, Spanky.

Default Re: Proper Militia Mod v1.1 - Now Including Cavalry and Unit Cards

Vary nice work love it keep up that good work Just love it

1.1 is out! See the first two posts for details.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    1.1 is out! See the first two posts for details.
    Enjoy.
    Hello Spanky,

Awesome and outstanding work with your new release 1.1! +rep to you!

Thank you very much for allowing me to use your fantastic "Militia" and "Provincial Cavalry" skins in my AUM. All fans of AUM will be really excited about your textures!

The mod is looking great, but there's only one issue I have now related to unit cards.
    For the French and Austrian nations, there may be others I haven't checked. The new militia unit cards are the exact same as line infantry unit cards, and this makes it more difficult to tell the difference at a glance which is which, so you have to read each unit card to find out who is who.
    Is there any way you could change the coats on the unit card to brown, or something unused by any faction?

plissken3's Avatar Decanus

instant download man well done
    WHY NOT TRY MY MODS BELOW - FOR EMPIRE & NAPOLEON
    here:BetterMusicMod& here:SharpeThemeMod
    & here:WarpathPictureMod