Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Proper Militia Mod v1.3 - Now With Minutemen And Revamped Colors

Default Proper Militia Mod v1.3 - Now With Minutemen And Revamped Colors

Proper Militia Mod - v1.3

Are you tired of the Scottish bonnet sitting on the head of every militia man from the River Pecos to the Volga? Have you also wondered why all Europe's picking up the cause of Bonnie Prince Charlie, decades before the Highlands decide to rebel? If you look at historical sources for regional militias, they usually wore the same type of tricorn hat and the same basic type of uniform that everybody else had. It's just that their uniforms were made of cheaper material, and were often undyed. This mod recreates that kind of look and does away with CA's 'highland special forces' model - at least for the regular militias.

Different models, better textures

I'm not aiming to recreate the exact look of any individual units; this is intended as a base on which other mods will build. It replaces Vanilla's 'militia infantry' and 'provincial cavalry' models, the default skins for these models, and the handful of individual skins provided in vanilla for the major powers. It's a quick and dirty solution but it gets the job done. Corresponding unit cards are also provided.

In version 1.3, all skins have been revamped to introduce two different shades of coat (see above) to make the soldiers look more individual. The British, Dutch and Danish skins have been more closely modelled on historic sources after further research. In the absence of source material, the Swedish and Prussian skins have been revamped to more closely reflect what I suspect they would have looked like.

The basic skin for the militia infantry recreates the 'undyed cloth' look of the vanilla militia and has the faction color represented in the cuffs, lapels and coat tail facings. The major power skins are more closely modelled on historical militias of the individual nations, but on no specific unit. They vary in terms of color scheme, while e.g. lace and distribution and shape of buttons, etc. remain the same throughout. See the screenshots in the second post for details.

The American minutemen, a special kind of militia (second pic above), are now also in this mod, replacing their bonnets with the more common tricorn hat (except for standard bearers).

The new provincial cavalry skins display the faction color on the entire coat. Provincial cavalrymen were usually uniformed, and in a style similar to regular cavalry. Here, they differ from the 'regiments of horse' by having shoulder straps and gloves in darker shades, rougher riding boots taken from the vanilla skins, waistcoats made from rougher material, and the lacing on their coats held also in the faction color rather than in a contrasting shade. Some of the major power skins deviate from this general scheme based on historical sources.

I invite anyone with knowledge on the history of these militias to share their insights and I will happily consider them for future updates. I leave it to other mods to fill in the gaps with exact representations of specific units.

Installation

Simply place the mod in your \data directory and load with Mod Manager, which can be found at the link below. This mod only replaces vanilla textures and the vanilla model and is therefore highly mod-compatible. When using together with similar mods, make sure that it loads at the top of the list for best results.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=240335

The flags shown in the screenshots, btw, are from my Realistic Flag Set v1.2, which can be found here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=244612

Download:
    Last edited by Spanky; July 05, 2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Version 1.3 uploaded

Default Re: Proper Militia Mod v1.0 - more realistic model and new textures

Major power skins

In addition to the generic militia skin, this mod replaces the vanilla skins for Austria, Britain, Denmark, the Netherlands, Prussia, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Poland-Lithuania (cavalry) and the United States. Sources for militia uniforms are generally hard to come by, and so these skins reflect a mixture of different approaches.

Infantry

The infantry skins for Britain, France, and Prussia are closely based on available sources. The French (see first post) and British militias are mainly based on those who saw service in North America, a typical area of militia activity.

Some of the Prussian militia wore uniforms of the same blue as the regular infantry, while others, such as that of the Neumark, wore simple grey coats, often with the cuffs and collars dyed in blue.

The Netherlands skin is based on a source used by the outstanding United Provinces retexture project, and can be used together with that mod - which you can download here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=263541

Other skins in the pack are closer to the vanilla approach of having the militia fight wholly or in part in their civilian clothes. The US skin goes furthest in this regard, with no faction markings present.

Cavalry

The provincial cavalry and gendarmerie differ from the more regular 'regiments of horse' in their darker shoulder straps and gloves, rougher boots, and the coats usually held in the faction color, without contrasting lacing. In the absence of sources to the contrary, the British provincials follow this scheme, while having breeches in shades of white rather than the generic tones (see third screenshot in top post).

The French militia cavalry, like the infantry displayed in the first post, are based on uniforms typical to service in the Americas, both in the North and in the Caribbean.

The Dutch provincial cavalry's color scheme is based on the one used by the United Provinces retexture project - see link under 'Infantry' above - making them compatible with that mod.

Last edited by Spanky; July 05, 2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Screenshots updated after 1.3 revamp

wooohooo Instant download!
    Quote Originally Posted by nabo1er View Post
    Obviously this Banzai fellow has never seen Parisian billboards soap adds near the airport. Nipples as big as cars! Well, small cars anyway.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=268066
    My Retexture Project! Courland Done, Sweden next!

Awesome! Spanky you are uber skinner!

ps: will this awesome mod work on Trom? (if not I try to mo it in... any help of you by that much appreciated!)

thanks m8!

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

Great mod I have this installed and it seems to be ok with the other mods i have installed like this one, http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=244468

But ive noticed that the US militia are black american troops Strange perhaps theres a clash with another mod as in your screen they are white. All the other militia units are fine.

Got it sorted once i put the militia mod first in order in the mod manager it was ok.
    Last edited by nigelnire; May 27, 2009 at 06:00 PM.

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Looks great!

Thanks guys! You shouldn't have trouble using this together with most mods - see the first post under 'installation' where I wrote some further comments.

Great work!
    This militia is more historical than CA's unit

Great job as usual Spanky, dl now.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Must have mod, +rep!

plissken3's Avatar Decanus

well done spanky: I was hoping someone would do this - instant download +REP well done mate
    they look fantastic, thank you
    WHY NOT TRY MY MODS BELOW - FOR EMPIRE & NAPOLEON
    here:BetterMusicMod& here:SharpeThemeMod
    & here:WarpathPictureMod

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Yea, the berets were getting annoying.
    But you gonna fix provincial cavalry, too?

having such a great time with the new militias! using it with TROM, no problem! 100% compatible...

dude, awesome work! now I´m looking forward to line up my militias in battle, the scottish unit style was really annoying -

regards

Quote Originally Posted by derbiber View Post
    having such a great time with the new militias! using it with TROM, no problem! 100% compatible...

dude, awesome work! now I´m looking forward to line up my militias in battle, the scottish unit style was really annoying -

regards
    I must say I'm having a lot of fun with it myself. Note how the animations for militia are different from the line infantry: They stand around, fairly undisciplined, shift their rifles around and wait for something to happen. Then when they get their orders, they carry their rifles very casually. I think it's great, it serves to further differentiate them from the drilled linemen. This is something that the engine does automatically; it simply transfers the militia animations to the new model.
    Last edited by Spanky; May 28, 2009 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    Yea, the berets were getting annoying.
    But you gonna fix provincial cavalry, too?
    Definitely. Just haven't got that much time at the moment. Expect a very basic fix there, too - probably a grafting of the riding boot textures onto the current militia texture, but with a different color scheme for the coat - with the faction color generally as the main color, like the regiments of horse.

For now, I recommend assigning the regiment of horse model to them in the units table.

SR-71's Avatar Civis

Icon14 Re: Proper Militia Mod v1.0 - more realistic model and new textures

Yahoooooo!!! Finally somebody has replaced the stupid militia bonnet and uniforms

Excellent historical addon to the game. Sincere congratulations and instant dwnld

Thanx
    Jimmy Dix: I'm really good, man. Maybe I could take your daughter out. What's she like?
    Joe Hallenbeck: She's like thirteen years old, and if you even look at her funny, I'm gonna stick an umbrella up your ass and open it.

Your a saint. Thank you for giving us militia that are easy on the eye It was not my number one complaint but it was right up there.

plissken3's Avatar Decanus

Spanky: been using your militia, & seems to work fine -I am using darth 1.9 & highlander mod & there is nothing to report but success!!!I don't know if anyone else is reporting problems but for me it works just fine.I would REP you twice if I was allowed, again they are fantastic, thank you!!!
    WHY NOT TRY MY MODS BELOW - FOR EMPIRE & NAPOLEON
    here:BetterMusicMod& here:SharpeThemeMod
    & here:WarpathPictureMod

Cheshire Cat's Avatar Civis

Great work Spank +rep

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast