Thread: Adding flexibility in troop command

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Icon5 Adding flexibility in troop command

The one thing that has bugged me a bit about Mount and Blade's unit command system is its simplicity. I mean, you have 3 groups to choose from - Infantry, Archers, and Cavalry. This doesn't allow for the flexibility of troop movements that could really help in those big battles.

My question is, can this be changed so that you can somehow add more 'command groups'? Perhaps, a way to command each class of soldier, or by faction of recruitment. For instance, have a command button to have all my Swadian Knights do one thing, and the Swadian Men at Arms do a separate thing. Or, at the very least, have a separate button to command my hero units, so I can say, have them follow me as my bodyguard and have the regular cavalry and infantry charge. Even something as simple as that would increase troop flexibility significantly.

I did have doubts about this idea, practical as I think it is, but I am not an expert on MB modding (yet ) so I really have no idea on how to start researching this. Does anyone have any idea whether or not such a thing is possible?

Thanks,
    -Hader

Default Re: Adding flexibility in troop command

Hello there Hader nice avatar by the way

Adorno briefly touched on this in our community project thread. Unfortunately I don't know if this is possible, but I haven't done the research to find out at the moment.

Yes, I haven't answered here, since I don't think there's any mod out there with that feature.
    "How shall humankind ever find peace if the soul remains conscious in the sky and the shadow in the Underworld? The combination of sweet bait and naivety completely destroyes Nature's best gift: death, and doubles the agony of the dying with worries of a future!" - Pliny the Elder

i really don't think there is much that can be done about troops. A complicated AI system would likely need a new engine to run it. Maybe in MB2 we will see a much improved game, and this one is not bad considering how small a production it was by some first timers, but modders can only go so far. Mods like hegemony and the last days have made the game much more playable and add alot more atmosphere but the general gameplay and AI are likely to stay the same.