Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor bug: Firing at will is a LIE

Default Minor bug: Firing at will is a LIE

So this is an odd bug i'm getting, i'm not sure if it's with TATW 1.1 or RC, but i'll post it here anyways.

it's pretty small, but SUPER annoying. what happens is that whenever enemies come in range of my archers, the little unit card shows them "firing" but in reality they're just sitting there. i have to order them to move first before they can "fire at will". this happened with both my uruk-hai archers (i don't know if it's the same for snagas, since their range is so small that i can't tell anyways) and my gondor archers (same thing with archer militia as the snagas, range is too short to tell)

any idea what's going on?
    --- Theseus1234
    Suum cique (To each their own) -Motto of the Kingdom of Prussia

The Crown of Aragon AAR- The Iberian Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    My opinion is 100% objective. That's how I'm so right all the time.
    ^Human hubris knows no bounds.

Default Re: Minor bug: Firing at will is a LIE

Weird... doesnt happen for me...

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

It takes a while for them to get firing after the icon appears. Not exactly Robin Hood style.

i never find this my archers always start firing as soon as an enemy unit is in range

Quote Originally Posted by sithlord447 View Post
    i never find this my archers always start firing as soon as an enemy unit is in range
    --- Theseus1234
    Suum cique (To each their own) -Motto of the Kingdom of Prussia

The Crown of Aragon AAR- The Iberian Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    My opinion is 100% objective. That's how I'm so right all the time.
    ^Human hubris knows no bounds.

axnsan's Avatar Protector Domesticus

i also get something similar:

on their card they appear to shoot, but in reallity they just practise their bows (ie: no arrows are actually shot)
    moreover, if i place my mouse on the unit they "shoot" at, the bow is green(they are in range) . but if i place my mouse on the ground next to it, the little arrow is red(the point is not in range)

Quote Originally Posted by Theseus1234 View Post
    what happens is that whenever enemies come in range of my archers, the little unit card shows them "firing" but in reality they're just sitting there.
    EVERY archer is doing nothing ar are some of them actually firing?
    When my archers stand on walls I have to "direct" them to a target cause most archers of one group are to close to the enemy and won´t fire at all.

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

I have this problem sometimes, my theory is that now all of the enemy unit is in range, so they canät fire correctly

I have this problem, my elven balistae and some types of archers never shoot unless I tell them to (fire at will is on). The solution is to give them an attack order, let them shoot a volley, then cancel it. They should start shooting without instruction.

EDIT: No idea what happened, but twcenter was down for a few hours on 5-27-09 11:40 Eastern US Time. I may post this somewhere else later, but for now I'll leave it here.
    Last edited by A1_Unit; May 27, 2009 at 07:44 PM.

I had that problem, i reinstalled everything but now i'm getting a really anoying problem where EVERY archer unit in the game fires in crappy staggered volleys rather than a "rain" of arrows...apparently some one posted its because skirmish units fire like this...however every unit seems to be doing it, even if i modify skirmish units so they are pure "missile" units...its such an annoying this as it makes my archer based armies less effective...All was fine in Version 1.0, its just when u install 1.1!

Any ideas would be a massive help...ive drawn blanks so far

Its not as simple as making them missile in the edu, you have to change the model db entry... but all missile troops work great for me.

And how do i change that?

I wouldn't suggest playing with the model db... if you are even one space off or have incorrect numbering for the lines then you get a black screen on startup of the game with no error report..

Blog Entries

How does this behavior change when working in the modeldb?

Somewhere here?
    11 MTW2_Bowman
    14 MTW2_Swordsman 2
    19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary
    14 fs_test_shield 2
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary
    14 fs_test_shield

Yes gigantus, the bowman entries are their bow animation set. Just compare different units entry and you'll see the pattern for skirmish/missile archers. Theres also differences for other things such as race and class.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info, I had wondered about the animation pack in the installation.

playing with the modeldb shouldn't affect when they fire though.

This is a strange issue... and sounds like it might have to deal with individual's computers and processing abilities - I've NEVER experienced this issue ONCE in all my YEARS of TW gameplaying.
    Son of the Ancient Archaon, House of Siblesz

Quote Originally Posted by axnsan View Post
    i also get something similar:

on their card they appear to shoot, but in reallity they just practise their bows (ie: no arrows are actually shot)
    moreover, if i place my mouse on the unit they "shoot" at, the bow is green(they are in range) . but if i place my mouse on the ground next to it, the little arrow is red(the point is not in range)
    I've sometimes got this problem, for me it usually happens when two group of units collide with eachother (I put the archers to close the the infrantry for example). When they stop colliding they start to fire for real .
    My computer can handle TW just fine (I've played on highest resolution and graphic setting for some time now, without lag) so I doubt that is the problem.

i also experience this, but only if my archers are placed on a high hill and only since i've got 1.1 installed. at first they don't shoot and only stand there though in the icon it says so, but after a while they start shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Renown View Post
    playing with the modeldb shouldn't affect when they fire though.

This is a strange issue... and sounds like it might have to deal with individual's computers and processing abilities - I've NEVER experienced this issue ONCE in all my YEARS of TW gameplaying.
    Yes it would, the model db deals with identifying the animation type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast