Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Castles in PKH

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Re: Castles in PKH

Quote Originally Posted by Live2sculpt
    Though I am 100% behind your aesthetics regarding the models looking like the strat map ones, Perhaps you might consider releasing with that particular effort set aside as a seperate update? If you can include just a few custom models where the scripting bugs were ironed out, I'm sure, added with all the other great acomplishments in this mod, we would be satisfied with waiting for the better historicaly accurate models later. Just sayin'.
    At the moment we aren't really doing any amendments to existing battlemap models and for the non castle ones we weren't intending changing anything (other than the strat map models). Sorry just don't have the time.

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

doing some research for a possible wars of the roses mod or (sub-mod) for Stainless steel
    I found this:
    http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthread...&Number=827021
    the .kmz file maps onto Google earth allowing you to zoom right in to relevant castles

(OK wars of the roses is a lot later but many of the castles are still relevant.)

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

I've posted this question in the Mods forum, but just realized how pertinent the subject is to THIS particular mod, and Wilddog's interests and abilities.

I've been studying post Norman invasion walled towns (England), while finding out how the best modders here are coming to the conclusion it's too complicated/impossible to make a unique custom settlement battlemap for use in a campaign. But to put the finger on the problem, and to hold it up for review once more (unless its been discussed directly elswhere), I'd like to make an observation, and put out a question.

All medieval cities are located on or beside rivers!

That is to say 'most' all medieval villages, urban centers etc, relied on WATER to justify their location and make life livable. I'm sure there must be a few old city plans that look more like what MTW has been using as the default model. But that layout is NOT the historical default from what I can see.

So from what I've read, the source code referring to the generic settlements models to build a siege battlemap override any custom battlemep builds that would otherwise run.

My question is, what prevents us from replacing the current CULTURE based varieties with custom models that adapt their plan to the presence of a river?
    So London and York may come up looking the exact same if developed to the same level, but at least they both will LOOK more like they should.

Since the other option is looking impossible, I'd like to know what others might have found about this before I try to make it my modding project. It might be too complicated, and have something to do with the way in which buildings within the walls need to be organized.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2sculpt
    My question is, what prevents us from replacing the current CULTURE based varieties with custom models that adapt their plan to the presence of a river?
    So London and York may come up looking the exact same if developed to the same level, but at least they both will LOOK more like they should.
    Well we are doing more with castles rather than settlements as they are (in theory) less time consuming to do.

Its probably best to simply create a settlement with the relevant water (reflective plane) rather than trying to rely on anything from the campaign map. By default that would make it look more moat like rather than true river. However there are some drawbacks tied to the AI. So you don't really seem to be able to make bridges crossing moats (or at least the AI needs tweaking to use the properly. Also watch out for Rams. The movement to put down a ram after breaking though a gate seems hard coded. ie they will go to the right and drop the ram petty much regardless of what is suppose to be there (ie we haven't found anything that stops it whether its a wall, cliff, or water.

I'm still slow on getting started on the main settlements. Whilst trying to sort out some deployments I came across something which is causing a fairly drastic rewrite of one of the more complicated bits of my tool. Mostly tied around a short cut I did when creating a particular model which I didn't encounter earlier (its tied to not all vertices linking to adjacent triangles. I took a short cut as the area was flat and as Mak did the same its probably going to be a common issue).

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

So it is possible?
    Interesting.. But to clarify my question: which files must be edited to alter/swap the settlement models called upon in a campaign mode?
    If there are instructions elsewhere on this topic, I'm missing them.
    You experienced conflicts using bridges on a siege map, have you?
    Do you experience any difficulties with how the game places upgrade buildings within the walls?
    I'm only guessing right now, and presume each upgrade needs the new model coordinates in order to find itself placed properly.

Sorry your tool needs more tweaking in order to finish.

upgrades are tied to the Tech tree slots. To be honest I haven't looked at them and didn't really need to have them for castles. If you have a look at the .world files and look for tech tree slots it will give some sort of position but as said I haven't looked at them and its not an option I built into the IWTE tool either (as I didn't need it).

Hope to have another full day on the tool tomorrow. Issue is getting to all the combinations as I think what I just amended affects a few other bits. It was only because I had a slight issue with deployments in the first place but it showed up a hidden error.

Finally got down to progressing on on one of the castles now. Mak hit an issue which may be tool related but we'll see. Main thing from my view point is I can finally get going on some of the bits I need. Though I spotted I managed to connect two incorrect points on a model so need to redo that bit

Two views of a 95% finished unique castle for PKH - is just missing arrow firing from towers, I could add manually but hoping Wilddog will include in tool to save the hassle...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

does anyone recognise which castle it's meant to be?

King of History's Avatar Protector Domesticus

OMG THAT IS FLIPPING AWESOME, and no, not sure which castle

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

Nice castle, I only wish I could've gotten a closer view of those Welsh in the screenshot.
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

Wow, great work.

How much time did you spend on making that castle?

TTW GRANDMASTER

Very nice

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Two views of a 95% finished unique castle for PKH - is just missing arrow firing from towers, I could add manually but hoping Wilddog will include in tool to save the hassle...

Holy crap, is there in any way possible to get that? Is it implemented in this mod only, or is it just for development and to see that it's possible to make? I want this bad, but please share it aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Leckan
    Holy crap, is there in any way possible to get that? Is it implemented in this mod only, or is it just for development and to see that it's possible to make? I want this bad, but please share it aswell
    Sorry, this is developed for the mod and so will be released with the mod... when we get to that stage.

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

Wow! Great Job! Plus Rep+
    If you like the picture of my woman, GIVE ME REP!!!!

kaiser1993's Avatar Senator

I thought this was impossible, im stunned. The fans of third age total war are going to be glad that its possible, maybe we will get our helms deep one day. I will definitely give this mod a try, when is it scheduled for release?

It currently is not scheduled lol

unfortunately I have no idea which castle it is but this is just incredible!
    Somehow it looks so much more "real" than those M2 castles, I especially like the front court and how the castle is build into the geography.
    Really awesome work... I'm jealous...

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post

Incretible work...Will be a "step by step" guide with the finall tool?
    We (CBUR) are trying to recreat some byzantine border forts and "byzantine/roman" cities..
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

@KK-Probably because it isn't just a square