Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mercenary questions

Default mercenary questions

Something that really drives me up the wall about vanilla ETW is this was the great age of the mercenary,
    but the game hardly reflects that.

Anyway, I only play Austria, I can't stand to play a Protestant faction, I prefer a land power, I like the goal of trying to restore the Holy Roman Empire, and drive the Turk out of Europe.

Anyway, one thing REALLY bugs me, I never liked bearskins. In this mod, is it possible for Austria to recruit a unit of Grenadiers with MITER CAPS, presumably mercenaries?

Is it possible for Austria to recruit kilted Highlanders, without having to conquer Scotland?

I noticed Swiss and Hessian mercenaries . apparently some mercenary units in this mod are region specific, but is there any open market recruiting of mercenaries ? Could I recruit kilted Highlanders without conquering Scotland, could I get mitre cap Grenadiers without conquering some other far-flung region?

Last question, can Austria still build a heavy First rate in this mod? I loved the Spanish 4-decker Santissima Trinidad.
    Last edited by alpaca; May 25, 2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: title fixed

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Default Re: mercebnary questions

So far, all mercenary-styled units are regionally based. If you have an open land route to a region that provides a mercenary unit, your general can recruit it and it will walk from the closest recruitment point.

When the new patch comes out there will be a grenadier unit with mitre caps! It's the russian model they displayed in the update thread. We will certainly apadt this more historically accurate model for the factions that need them.

EDIT: I just checked, Austria does have Heavy First rates in their recruitment group, let me know if you have trouble recruiting them!
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Ok, I finally found the Russian Grenadiers pic. I'm glad they are adding them. I hope that patch comes soon.

Thanks for the mercenary recruit info, no kilted Highlanders without a Scottish invasion, BUT the system sounds perfectly logical and reasonable to me. At least mercenaries are back in the game ! They never should have been taken out / limited, certainly not in ETW.

My big problem so far, Alpaca correct me if I am wrong, but their seems to be no create_unit command and there is no way to recruit a unit directly into the generals army, yet.

So mercenaries are still bound to buildings like the theaters, and must be recruited in their specific region. We'll keep working to make them more diverse and accessible!

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by l33tl4m3r View Post
    My big problem so far, Alpaca correct me if I am wrong, but their seems to be no create_unit command and there is no way to recruit a unit directly into the generals army, yet.

So mercenaries are still bound to buildings like the theaters, and must be recruited in their specific region. We'll keep working to make them more diverse and accessible!
    No, there's no create_unit command. What could be done maybe is have mercenary regions that can get pools of certain units - for example you could have a Italy pool where you have say 3 units of highlanders. If someone in Italy recruits them they'll be disabled for all factions.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    No, there's no create_unit command. What could be done maybe is have mercenary regions that can get pools of certain units - for example you could have a Italy pool where you have say 3 units of highlanders. If someone in Italy recruits them they'll be disabled for all factions.
    That is a really good idea!!!!! Just started playing this mod and I really like it. Great work to all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Praepositus

Default Re: mercenary questions

eh... a fine thing, but is it possible at the moment?

Tancredii's Avatar Tiro

Sounds like CA are listening to our many gripes - the mitre wearing grenadier model for example - mentioned above.

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic...te.html?page=2
    The British were completely beaten and the day was mine, but they did not know it and would not run.

Marshall Soult to Napolean - having been robbed of his victory at Albuera (May 1811)

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by am.az View Post
    eh... a fine thing, but is it possible at the moment?
    Yeah I mostly only propose stuff if I have a fairly good idea about how to implement them

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

When the new patch comes out there will be a grenadier unit with mitre caps! It's the russian model they displayed in the update thread. We will certainly apadt this more historically accurate model for the factions that need them.
    umm, as far as I know, in real life the Austrian Grenadiers always wore bearskins. That's why I'm looking for a mercenary unit in mitre caps. Why not just play a faction like Prussia, Spain, or Poland, whose Grenadiers wear mitres? ( In vanilla )
    I'm eccentric. I role-play Total war .
    In RTW I only wanted to play Carthage. In MTW 2 I only wanted to play HRE. The original Shogun Total war was so long ago, I forget the names, but I would only play the yellow or red guys, never the green guys.
    In all these cases, always for personal , or esthetic reasons.

Hmm, I don't want to clutter this sub forum with my stupid questions, so I'll ask my stupid questions here if you don't mind.

Obviously I'm now playing with this MOD , and I love it so far.

As Austria I have now conquered Brandenburg, also West Prussia, but not East Prussia yet. I have generals in both states. ( somehow I clicked twice and accidentally recruited two generals instead of one . anyway.. ) But so far I haven't been able to recruit Prussian mercenaries, not via the regular city recruitment tab, not via a general inside or outside of a town. However it is early in the game, somewhere between 1712-1715. So I have only basic barracks / other buildings in my Prussian provinces. How do I recruit Prussian Mercenaries? ( obviously I'm a fiend for mercenaries . It's one of my favorite aspects of the Total war series. )

I hate the regular ETW music, but when I go down to ground level with my army I hear this lovely fife and drum music. ( did you folks add that to this MOD ? ) Is there some way to toggle off the regular music so I ONLY hear the fifes and drums and gunfire ?

I guess I am correct in assuming that ONLY the Prussians can recruit the Potsdam Giants? I can't recruit them as mercenaries for Austria if I conquer Brandenburg? If so, fair enough. I'm not complaining. There's no way I'm going to play a Protestant faction just to get the Potsdam Giants. I'll just have to live without.

Tancredii's Avatar Tiro

Goto settings and turn music down to zero.

Music is under the audio tab .............
    The British were completely beaten and the day was mine, but they did not know it and would not run.

Marshall Soult to Napolean - having been robbed of his victory at Albuera (May 1811)

kesa82 - Yes, Potsdamer Riesengarde and the Husaren von Zeiten are both regiments only recruitable by Prussia.

Tancredii's Avatar Tiro

It's a shame the recruitment roster doesn't allow vertical as well as horizontal selection. So you select line then a drop down from there - would allow us to define more specials without over filling the roster.

Daeger's Avatar Semisalis

Don't wanna bother making a new thread so I'll ask here: I was playing as the italian states and I was attacked by the prussians.

The prussians had 1 unit of those mercenary line-infantry (the ones you can recruit in Venice) and they slaughtered 2 regular line-infantries and 2 militia units with that mercenary unit alone before they were killed by my light infantry.

They don't have THAT good stats, so whatta hell was that? All the infantry I put against them were very experienced while the mercenaries were raw recruits. My line-infantry units attacked them from the flanks and militia attacked from behind and front so it is just insane that they could slaughter that many men while being attacked from all directions. Both, my units and the mercenaries, were fresh when the fight began. This is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Daeger View Post
    Don't wanna bother making a new thread so I'll ask here: I was playing as the italian states and I was attacked by the prussians.

The prussians had 1 unit of those mercenary line-infantry (the ones you can recruit in Venice) and they slaughtered 2 regular line-infantries and 2 militia units with that mercenary unit alone before they were killed by my light infantry.

They don't have THAT good stats, so whatta hell was that? All the infantry I put against them were very experienced while the mercenaries were raw recruits. My line-infantry units attacked them from the flanks and militia attacked from behind and front so it is just insane that they could slaughter that many men while being attacked from all directions. Both, my units and the mercenaries, were fresh when the fight began. This is weird.
    What battle difficulty were you playing on? And what mercenary unit?

Burnoutfigs's Avatar Semisalis

They mustve been Cajun mercenaries.

"Laissez Le Bon Temps Roule"

Daeger's Avatar Semisalis

What battle difficulty were you playing on? And what mercenary unit?
    Normal battle difficulty and those.. western-europe line-infantry mercenaries or something.

Hmm, what's the story on Prussian mercenaries? As Austria I have controlled all the Prussian lands since forever. The unit doesn't show up anywhere in the tech or building browsers.
    Maybe only Prussia can recruit Prussian mercenaries?
    So I checked Prussia's tech and building browsers. Nope, not there either. ???

Very early in the game ( playing as Austria, I always play Austria ) I saw Highland infantry somewhere.
    No, I didn't imagine it, I saw them !
    I finally found them. In the TECH tree ( not the building browser ) under the the highest level Barracks some tech allows you to build, it shows, yep, Highland Infantry. Does this mean If I build an army college and conquer Scotland Austria can recruit Highland Infantry? Yay ! .......or is that a misprint in the tech tree?

I answered my own question about Highlanders for Austria. Yep, if you have the right tech and barracks build and conquer Scotland you can recruit Highlanders. Yay !
    For the info of anyone who doesn't know.

Since APE --or ETW vanilla for that matter -- doesn't have a full game manual, and you have to look all over the forums to find information. ( search, even a very specific search term, often doesn't work for me. you get 300 thread results, 99% of which in no way address your question. )

I have heard in passing about "3 turns" Has APE increased turns from two, to three or four?
    If so, I did think the years were too short.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast