Thread: possible ctd?

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Default possible ctd?

Hi, just thought I'd ask if changing faction's capital would cause some errors within garrison script or other script in campaign_script.txt possibly leading to CTD on campaign map. Short yes or no + how to fix that. +Rep for constructive answers
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Default Re: possible ctd?

How to fix what..? You didn't specify, could you say what faction and what city you made a capital? However in theory it shouldn't have anything to do with the script, if you take a peak at it you'd see it doesn't rely on whether or not it is a capital but just whether or not a certain faction owns it. Got an error log? Or did it come up blank?

Quote Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
    How to fix what..? You didn't specify, could you say what faction and what city you made a capital? However in theory it shouldn't have anything to do with the script, if you take a peak at it you'd see it doesn't rely on whether or not it is a capital but just whether or not a certain faction owns it. Got an error log? Or did it come up blank?
    Sure, error log over my small submod. Crash during processing turn 7 to 8 as Isengard and error log that doesn't really tell anything, thus I'm looking for a source (PB is completely clueless at the moment). Here ya go anyway ...

worthless short log

14:19:31.734 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    14:19:31.734 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    14:19:31.750 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    14:19:31.750 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    14:19:31.750 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    14:19:31.750 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    14:19:31.750 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    14:19:31.750 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    14:19:36.328 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Mordor, citadel -> city, equestrian[3](earls_stables) -> c_equestrian[3](c_earls_stables)
    14:19:36.328 [data.invalid] [error] Target building level not allowed: Orcs of the Misty Mountains, citadel -> city, equestrian[3](earls_stables) -> c_equestrian[3](c_earls_stables)
    14:22:25.250 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

full log download link - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nnmhgvyotmg

To get my submod just click my signature, last release compatible ... I can bring you save just before CTD if you want, too. I'm just trying to solve out the problem on my own but I fail at doing it

Unless it's one of those 'random CTDs' that can't be helped ...
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.

Yea the log is not helpful but my guess would be that it's an error that doesn't bring up a report... possibly a name error (though that usually would show up) or something similar. I suggest restarting your campaign and do exactly what you did last time and see if it happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
    Yea the log is not helpful but my guess would be that it's an error that doesn't bring up a report... possibly a name error (though that usually would show up) or something similar. I suggest restarting your campaign and do exactly what you did last time and see if it happens again.
    That means restarting Isengard campaign and doing exactly the same things I did but now don't remember the only clue is that crash happened (toggle_fow) during Silvan turn ... one of their armies with family member or general moved a bit to the forest, became invisible on campaign map and *boom* ... rather silly since none of changes I made to files refered to campaign map pathfinding, campaign AI at all or even unit stats (I'm still unsure if it's not RC issue .. e.g. some elven unit in army fought rebels in forest and caused ctd, but then weird enough, other people over RC thread would report it then ? *hugh* ... it doesn't make much sense at all, methinks).

Tried out without additional units on RC. Turn 7 --> 8 and this:

20:37:29.562 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    20:37:29.562 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    20:37:29.984 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    20:37:30.234 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    20:37:30.390 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    20:37:30.437 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    20:37:30.484 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    20:37:30.500 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    20:38:51.515 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2404, column 1
    The character record Jí Indűr Dawndeath is set as faction heir but is not in the family tree.
    20:38:51.515 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2530, column 1
    The character record Lord Yagthak is set as faction heir but is not in the family tree.
    20:38:51.531 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Third_Age/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2761, column 1
    The character record Lord Burz is set as faction heir but is not in the family tree.
    20:47:45.765 [game.script] [error] Script execution error for <siege_settlement>, at line 5229, in mods/Third_Age/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/campaign_script.txt:
    Attacker <mitheithel1> cannot siege settlemnt <Mitheithel>.
    20:53:28.078 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Rofl?

Oh, long log in attachments, too. Funny enough, I didn't mod any heirs or anything related to family tree at all! I didn't touch Germanicu5's script at all too ... or is it just useless log always popping up wrong information? Geez, I'm getting tired of this seriously ...

Will bring back capitals to their original places and if for some reason simple king purse scripts pop up another CTDs I'm going to retire forever from ever touching any text file ...

EDIT:

It was the issue with moved capitals. Won't bump the thread unless I run into other unexpected problems (hopefully NOT).
    Last edited by Achilla; May 24, 2009 at 03:40 PM.