Thread: Victory Conditions achieved...but no victory

Default Victory Conditions achieved...but no victory

I'm playing as Macedonia and I've achieved all of the listed victory conditions (or so it would seem). I have far more than 50 territories (between 85 and 90, in fact) and I have the 6 required territories of: Macedonia, Attica, Rhodos, Nile Delta, Syria and Babylonia, however it's still not giving me victory.

Is this a glitch, am I missing something, what do I need to do? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Re: Victory Conditions achieved...but no victory

Are they listed? I think there was some bug related to this. It's caused by unused factions in the descr_win_conditions.txt

You wouldn't want to see the victory anyway

Listed? You mean when setting up the game in the starting menu? Yes, it says 50 territories + Macedonia, Attica, Rhodos, Nile Delta, Syria and Babylonia. Is there some change I can make to one of the .txt files to fix this bug, if that's what it is?

The roman factions that were not in use have been removed "completely" in the last version of rtrpe. But they were left in descr_win_conditions from the campaign folder apparently. Still, editing this might mean restarting a new campaign and deleting the map.rwm for the change to take place. I don`t think it`s save game compatible either.

I don't seem to have a "descr_win_conditions.txt" file, which I think could be a bit of a problem...

Install error?

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Nope you have it. It's in some deep world/.... campaign/.... directory.

Don't worry about it, until you want to start a new campaign

There`re actually two of them. Depending on whether you use rtw or bi to play the game:
    Rome - Total War\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
    or
    Rome - Total War\data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion

EDIT: if you use the mod switch version there is also a RTRPE sub-folder in the path before the data.

Okay, so I've found the file and indeed it has the victory conditions for the 3 Roman factions instead of the one. The Macedon victory conditions look correct. I assume that because the Roman factions are incorrectly marked this part of the file needs to be changed in some way to make all of the victory conditions work, right? But how. What should be the correct information there. They currently say for the Roman factions:

romans_julii
    hold_regions Latium Africa Central_Gaul Macedonia Syria Nile_Delta Pontus Judaea Taraconenis
    take_regions 50
    short_campaign outlive_factions
    gauls

romans_brutii
    hold_regions Latium Africa Central_Gaul Macedonia Syria Nile_Delta Pontus Judaea Taraconenis
    take_regions 50
    macedon greek_cities

romans_scipii
    take_regions 50
    carthage numidia

You need to backup the file before editing it. Then remove the instances where the romans_brutii and romans_scipii appear. Meaning the two chunks of text you`ve shown above and the mention of romans_scipii in the conditions for carthage. Then you need to remove the map.rwm file again. It will probably not be saved game compatible(in other words you`ll have to start a new campaign).

Do you mean the map.rwm file that's in the sons_of_mars folder? There isn't one in the imperial_campaign folder.

I don't care about losing the saved game - I achieved my victory conditions there, the game is over even if it didn't declare me the winner.

Last question - you said remove mention of the "romans_scipii" under Carthage - should I rename it "romans_julii" instead so Carthage still has a victory condition? Or should all mentions of "romans_julii" be renamed to simply "romans?"

Remove these two chunks:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    romans_brutii
    take_regions 50
    macedon greek_cities

romans_scipii
    take_regions 50
    carthage numidia

Remove the romans_scipii from the carthage section so that it ends up looking like so:
    Code:
    carthage
    hold_regions Africa Latium Phoenicia Apulia Sicilia_Graecus Histria Cisalpine_Gaul
    take_regions 50
    spain

Delete the map.rwm from the data\world\maps\base and from the campaign folder if there is one there. If you`re playing with the BI exe:
    data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion
    if you`re playing with RTW exe:
    data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

The descr_win_conditions file you need to modify also depends on whether you`re playing with the BI or the RTW exe. To be sure edit both. And btw, IF you are using the mod switch version of RTRPE those locations starting with data from above would actually start with RTRPE/data etc. etc.

I think it`s easy to check because iirc the victory conditions were not displayed in game for some factions and if you`ve done everything right they should appear from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Brude View Post
    Last question - you said remove mention of the "romans_scipii" under Carthage - should I rename it "romans_julii" instead so Carthage still has a victory condition? Or should all mentions of "romans_julii" be renamed to simply "romans?"
    You can actually replace those names as long as you use the internal faction names. So you can have, as you`ve said:
    Code:
    carthage
    hold_regions Africa Latium Phoenicia Apulia Sicilia_Graecus Histria Cisalpine_Gaul
    take_regions 50
    romans_julii spain
    Romans is the ingame name. Don`t use that. Bactria for example is another in game name. In the text files it is actually thrace. And so one. You can find a list at the start of the file expanded_bi from data/text if you want to know what the internal names are for each faction.
    Last edited by florin80; May 24, 2009 at 06:46 PM.

That all makes sense, I think. Thanks a lot for the help!