Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 Turns a year with variable winter

Default 6 Turns a year with variable winter

Just wondering if anyone else playing this great game by dave might be interested in trying a game with 6 turns in the year a randomised winter severity which affects the length of winter normal being 2 turns of year severe being 3 turns of year and mild being merely 1 turn of the 6 turn year .

It has a movement pen for winter affecting only those areas affected by winter i spent a while maping out these regions to add them to the script( i have not included the areas that are only partially covered with snow for winter as i see them as the same as mild winter which for the movement pen script does not give you a movement pen as it is low amount of snow in that one turn )
    i have run a few 200 round tests now and it does not seem to affect balance to much and does not affect any other script already included in daves master piece mod

the only negative affect and well i see it as a positive personaly is the need to safe gaurd your generals as it takes a great many turns for a son to come of age as the script is proper aging eg 6 turns is 1 year of campaign and 1 year of age . It does still offer adoptions ofcourse so you can bolster your general number by accepting these

i find the 6 turns a year makes the movement of troops more accurate in there distance traveled in that time and for things like the pope asking richard the lion heart to join a crusade which is a long way for him to travel in the 2 turn year it can take up to 18 years to travel there back and do the campaign there basicly being the rest of his usefull life with 6 turns a year the whole process takes max 6 years so he still has more career ahead of him

so anyone interested and ill upload the scripts which are curtesy of GREEN EYED DEVIL

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

Default Re: 6 Turns a year with variable winter

Yes, I would, definitely. It's rather tiresome that it takes about 7 years to build a moderately sized army, and that my generals, faction leaders, faction heirs die before I can accomplish anything.

I will gladly download this if you decide to make it.

ok well it is pretty easy to do actually but bear in mind that it also takes all those extra turns for children to come of age so you will need to look after your generals .Also this script is intended for single player games it doesnt work well with a hotseat game as the script is fired of the FactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal condition and in a hotseat game there is obviously more than 1 local (human) faction, basicly a 6 turn script with 2 players reverts to a 3 turn

my only questions which version of KGCM mod do you have as i need to mod the campaign script and these are different for different versions how many turns a year do you want i can do a 4 6 or 12 turn year do you want the varaible winter severity and or do you want the movement pen in areas affected by winter? this of course does not affect areas where it does not snow or suffer only partial light snow fall both these are optional to the main script so let me know and ill put one together for you

ok well i saw your other post in the forum so i slapped the basic 4 turns a year package up for you just extract it to your kingdoms grand campaign folder and click yes to merge overwrite hope its what you wanted if you wanted the other scripts as well just let me know ( this is for version 4.1 KGCM)

I installed it inside KGC folder overwriting and when I tried to load my campaign the game crashed. I got an error message saying "M:TW has encountered an unspecified error and will now close"
    Last edited by Cassandra66; June 30, 2009 at 12:47 AM.

is your KGCM version 4.1 ?? i hope so i noted that the script was for 4.1 and works perfectly for 4.1 i tested it myself and will download again now and test one more time.

EDIT ok it does work perfectly with 4.1 i downloaded it from site and just tested again i asked what version of KCGM you are playing and to fix this now you must tell me what version of kcgm are you playing ? the scripts are specific to each to different version i had hoped i was quite clear in my posted response (post 3 of this thread)

EDIT2 also of note and this i should have specified you must start a new campaign for this to work you can not use an old campaign if this is the problem 2 options i can give you the original campaign scripts back so you can continue your old campaign or you can start a new campaign and it will work fine with 4 turns a year again if you are using 4.1 KCGM you cant change scripts mid game SORRY i should have clearly stated this. Please provide information as soon as possible so i can sort this for you
    Last edited by Soul Firez; June 30, 2009 at 07:40 AM.

I downloaded 4.1 when I got this mod but I forgot to install it(I've been really busy lately) so that was my problem. I thought I had installed it, lol. But I'm pretty far into my current campaign to start over. Is there no way apply it to a campaign? Otherwise it may be awhile before I can test this.

nope you cant slot it into a campaign mid campaign as it changes the descr_strat and and campaign script so what version are you playing if not version 4.1 i have 3.9 4.0 and 4.1 version scripts but if you just downloaded does that mean you just have the basic KGCM the original download ?? if thats the case then i dont have that script sorry i started play at version 3.9 got the base and applied the 3.9 patch straight away i can try ask dave if he still has the original 3.0 scripts if thats what you have so i can give you those

If you are playing the base KGCM i would strongly recomend installing the 4.1 it will give you a much better game there have been alot of improvements in that time and well then just reapply that turns script over 4.1 as installing 4.1 will revert to the base 4.1 script not the 4 turns a year one. answer as soon as possible so i can do what needs to be done to get you conquering the world again.

I was thinking about trying out a 4 turns per year set up. I think 6 might take a little too long as that makes a general 40 yrs = 240 turns which is a lot... and I was wondering if you'd be able to guide me or help me understand how to mod this (mostly as a learning experience, but it might be fun to try too).

Sure mate you want to learn just the basic scripting for the turns a year or learn the other parts as well which require giving hidden traits to characters to given variable movement making of historic events for the severe and mild winters extra .

of note i have found a better way to make it four turns a year than what i posted for cassandra66 the new script works with one season winter 3 summer more like real life the other started winter 2 summers then winter

Hallow's Avatar Ducenarius

Never mind
    Last edited by Hallow; July 23, 2009 at 08:39 PM.
    "Romans regarded peace not as an absence of war, but the rare situation that existed when all opponents had been beaten down and lost the ability to resist."

Can I request a 4 turn year for the no garrison script version? Thank you.

`sure very easy to do mate and i have figured a better way to make a 4 turn a year script it only has 1 winter and 3 summer months very realistic in that fashion

But before i do it you know it will not be save game compatable it will need to be a new game you start for it to work yes

No problem, I am downloading KGCM now...I haven't even installed it yet, I've never even tried it yet. This will be my first KGCM game. I am KGCM virgin, so for sure it will be a new game
    Last edited by yupper99; September 21, 2009 at 10:59 AM.

np mate well here you go download this and extract it to your kingdoms grand campaign file click yes to merge overwrite ( or extract it to desk top copy and paste it into your KGCM folder which ever method you prefer

Much appreciated Soul!

Hey Soul, something is wrong. After I installed those files I could no longer start a campaign. When I select my faction and click start, it just sends me back to the main menu screen, and from there I can do nothing except exit the game. I am using 3.0 + 4.1 patch.

wierd i quickly trialed it in my game and it all worked out hmm there are 2 version of the descr_strat let me get the other version modify that and get you to download and try that brb

try this descr_strat and let me know if it works now ?? also make sure you extract to your KGCM file not into it or you will end with 2 data files which will result in instant crashing last time you did it did you get the message to merge and overwrite i hope so or you now have 2 data folders

I still get the same issue. I copy/paste the files rather than extract into the directory, since I go into the directory to make backups before I overwrite them. The strangest thing is that even after I restored the backup desc_strat and campaign_script, I still get tossed into the single player menu when I try to start a new campaign. I had to reinstall the entire mod + patch in order to fix the problem, but then after installing the two files you attached, same thing again. That last part just boggles me.
    Last edited by yupper99; September 21, 2009 at 01:43 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast