Thread: A few questions regarding the "Late Roman Army"

eliza08's Avatar Tiro

Default A few questions regarding the "Late Roman Army"

Hello, just a few questions about the kind of army, the romans had just before she actually fell:

1) At the battle of Chalons (I know this is not a part of the mod, but it may have been the last time a "roman army" was assembled to fight back an invasion), what are the units depicted in your mod, that may have been used for this battle?

2) Was there a standing legion, during the final days of the western empire(reign of Julius Nepos, Romulus Augustulus)? Or was the roman army made up of germans and a few palace guard units?

Thank you very much.

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: A few questions regarding the "Late Roman Army"

Quote Originally Posted by eliza08 View Post
    Hello, just a few questions about the kind of army, the romans had just before she actually fell:

1) At the battle of Chalons (I know this is not a part of the mod, but it may have been the last time a "roman army" was assembled to fight back an invasion), what are the units depicted in your mod, that may have been used for this battle?

The romans and their visigoth allies. I also believe Franks, which are not currently in the mod.
    A little secret, the team is considering historical battles for one of the improvements to the mod in future releases.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

2) Was there a standing legion, during the final days of the western empire(reign of Julius Nepos, Romulus Augustulus)? Or was the roman army made up of germans and a few palace guard units?

Thank you very much.
    Great question and a part of the mod falls within the time frame.

Yes, many of the units especially the Gallic ones and Germanic factions units were involved..we are going to expand the units to better represent this time.

At the battle of Chalons in 451AD Aetius gathered his foederati allies, the Visigoths, Franks, Burgundians and the Alans whom a large group were settled in Armonica. The Visigoth King was alarmed at how small Aetius Roman standing army was for it was as it was probably mostly comprised of Auxiliaries, non-Italian troops, but from his stronghold in Gaul, he had gathered up his experienced field army of Gallic legionaries, and the surrounding limitanei: front line troops not as armed or trained as the legions, I'm sure. The question is how large of a Roman army did he have is quite murky.

"On the right wing of the Hunnic army Attila stationed the bulk of his Germanic allies. The Ostrogoths fought on the left, and in the center Attila took position with his best troops, the Huns. On the other side Aetius decide to put his least reliable troops, the Alans, in the center to take what ever assault Attila directed towards them. The Visigoths were placed on the Roman right, and the Romans themselves took the left. Aetius clearly hoped to execute a double envelopment, hitting hard against the two weak flanks of Attila's army while fighting a defensive, holding action in the center. When the Romans on the left were able to seize some high ground on the flank of the Hunnic right wing during an initial skirmish, they gained a considerable advantage"

So Now the Roman WRE was reliant on the foederati within their lands whom consisted of entire Germanic and once steppe factions and not just foederati trained within the Roman army as Roman soldiers. certainly a desperate situation that only a strong military leader such as an Aetius could do. Its also interesting to note that Aegidius Domain of Soissons after Aetius was assassinated was able to hold Gaul secure even in his rebellion of Ricimers powerful grips on the WRE till he disappeared from history in 465ad

In 475AD a large foederati army, about 30,000 strong(the Scirian -Herulic )was stationed in Italy outside the cities under Odoacer. the foederati revolted and defeated Orestes, the magister militum with his standing Roman army. "After the revolt, the Germanic foederati, the Scirians and the Heruli, as well as a large segment of the Italic Roman army, proclaimed Odoacer rex Italiae" Odoacer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odoacer

All very interesting stuff
    Last edited by Riothamus; May 23, 2009 at 11:28 AM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

eliza08's Avatar Tiro

@Riothamus

That was quite an info sir, and thank you again for taking the time out to give a thorough reply.

@midnite

Really? Can't wait^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Great question and a part of the mod falls within the time frame.

Yes, many of the units especially the Gallic ones and Germanic factions units were involved..we are going to expand the units to better represent this time.

At the battle of Chalons in 451AD Aetius gathered his foederati allies, the Visigoths, Franks, Burgundians and the Alans whom a large group were settled in Armonica. The Visigoth King was alarmed at how small Aetius Roman standing army was for it was as it was probably mostly comprised of Auxiliaries, non-Italian troops, but from his stronghold in Gaul, he had gathered up his experienced field army of Gallic legionaries, and the surrounding limitanei: front line troops not as armed or trained as the legions, I'm sure. The question is how large of a Roman army did he have is quite murky.

"On the right wing of the Hunnic army Attila stationed the bulk of his Germanic allies. The Ostrogoths fought on the left, and in the center Attila took position with his best troops, the Huns. On the other side Aetius decide to put his least reliable troops, the Alans, in the center to take what ever assault Attila directed towards them. The Visigoths were placed on the Roman right, and the Romans themselves took the left. Aetius clearly hoped to execute a double envelopment, hitting hard against the two weak flanks of Attila's army while fighting a defensive, holding action in the center. When the Romans on the left were able to seize some high ground on the flank of the Hunnic right wing during an initial skirmish, they gained a considerable advantage"

So Now the Roman WRE was reliant on the foederati within their lands whom consisted of entire Germanic and once steppe factions and not just foederati trained within the Roman army as Roman soldiers. certainly a desperate situation that only a strong military leader such as an Aetius could do. Its also interesting to note that Aegidius Domain of Soissons after Aetius was assassinated was able to hold Gaul secure even in his rebellion of Ricimers powerful grips on the WRE till he disappeared from history in 465ad

In 475AD a large foederati army, about 30,000 strong(the Scirian -Herulic )was stationed in Italy outside the cities under Odoacer. the foederati revolted and defeated Orestes, the magister militum with his standing Roman army. "After the revolt, the Germanic foederati, the Scirians and the Heruli, as well as a large segment of the Italic Roman army, proclaimed Odoacer rex Italiae" Odoacer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odoacer

All very interesting stuff
    This is a real melody for me...just waiting for the finished mod...hope you will also represent the WRE armies with all their weakness...
    "Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak"...SUN TZU

eliza08's Avatar Tiro

I saw a forum signature about this game with a roman cavalry man with a face mask! Looks cool, was wondering if that unit will be added in the future?

Thanks

ya I was wondering why on the 'custom battels' the Romans have FAR MORE units then that of the others (excepially the germans)? Also why when I play custom battle why is portugal, denmark, vatican shown there? oh and are you guys planning to have another patch because its very buggy

I saw a forum signature about this game with a roman cavalry man with a face mask! Looks cool, was wondering if that unit will be added in the future?

Thanks
    Think its the Equites Taifali, a late Roman cavalry unit created from a 4th century Germanic tribe, the Taifali that later was sent to Britain in the 5th century. The mask looks Germanic to me. The helmet appears a bit more decorative too..maybe the cream of the crop?

SeniorBatavianHorse I'm sure can tell me

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    ya I was wondering why on the 'custom battels' the Romans have FAR MORE units then that of the others (excepially the germans)? Also why when I play custom battle why is portugal, denmark, vatican shown there? oh and are you guys planning to have another patch because its very buggy
    This with the IB2 Beta patch II? midnite has done alot of work to it make it playable recently
    Last edited by Riothamus; May 24, 2009 at 03:17 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Also why when I play custom battle why is portugal, denmark, vatican shown there? oh and are you guys planning to have another patch because its very buggy

They were left in as placeholders. That is all I will say.

Which part is very buggy?
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Just in general its a bit buggy but like Riothamus said, this is just a beta, but I think its a really good idea, also I was wondering when the real version was going to be released?

eliza08's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Think its the Equites Taifali, a late Roman cavalry unit created from a 4th century Germanic tribe, the Taifali that later was sent to Britain in the 5th century. The mask looks Germanic to me. The helmet appears a bit more decorative too..maybe the cream of the crop?

SeniorBatavianHorse I'm sure can tell me

This with the IB2 Beta patch II? midnite has done alot of work to it make it playable recently

Ok, hope the unit is included=)