Thread: I have a trip to Moscow

Do and see.... Ive never been to Russia, so Im looking forward to going to Moscow. Having won the Cold War and all (joking really I am) I really want to know what I need to see. Not the real touristy type places but where I can see the history of Russia, the people, the culture, the revolution. Mainly history is what Im looking for, and Im sure there is more then I can see in three days. So thats why I ask, I want those three days to be filled with actually doing things and not lost looking for things.

Hopefully the Russian Federation will chime in, There input would be greatly appreciated....

HC
    Rome Total War 2 Beta Tester

The Censors are coming, the Censors are coming... RUN!!!!!

Spetsnaz's Avatar Miles

Well,i dont even know,because i live in Moscow it all seems usual to me,but visit the kremlin,walk on the red square at night,its beautiful,also visit the center like Tverskaya street. *wink*
    Pround member of the russian empire and a comrade of TranceCrusader, therussian91, jdblair5, crazyru$$in, Russkisoldat, JvlivsCeasar, Kdar, Valentin the II, KarakurT and Ricgard. For God ,Tsar and Homeland.

Get a fluffy russian hat and hit the bar and drink some vodka and eat some caviar.

Spetsnaz's Avatar Miles

caviar is expensive :whistle
    Pround member of the russian empire and a comrade of TranceCrusader, therussian91, jdblair5, crazyru$$in, Russkisoldat, JvlivsCeasar, Kdar, Valentin the II, KarakurT and Ricgard. For God ,Tsar and Homeland.

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

I've been to Moscow two years ago.

You should at least go to Lenin's mausoleum on the red square.
    It wil give you inside on how authoritatian the Russian police can be: walk only between the lines, don't talk etc. etc.
    But make sure you don't bring a bag, not even a small one, and no camera because they are not allowed (you wil be body searched)
    About russian police: I love their outfits but I think the bigger the hat, the lower the rank.

I also went to a cemetery where famous russians are burried.
    I don't know the name but it's interesting because all the tomb stones are works of art, and they tell something about the person who is burried there.
    Go there with a guide, because he/she can tell you the interesting details.

If you travel, go by subway.
    The subway stations are beautiful.
    They were called the palaces of the people (or somethign like that) and they are one of the best things that communism has brough them IMO.

Russians are very religious.
    If you visit some churches you wil notice how orthodox they are.

In contrast: during communism many cathedrals were converted to swimming pools.
    I think you can still swim in some of them.

You should know that Moscow and St. Petersburg are very different from the rest of Russia.
    They are much more modern, almost like big western european cities.
    If you have the chance you should visit the countryside so you can see how the vast majority of Russians live like.

Spetsnaz's Avatar Miles

I love their outfits but I think the bigger the hat, the lower the rank.
    I agree, they do look very idiotic,but soon as i heard they will be switched to more smaller ones,like at the Russian Empire time.
    In contrast: during communism many cathedrals were converted to swimming pools.
    yes,some were...
    I think you can still swim in some of them.
    No,they have all been rebuild,or it would be a big problem for the goverment.BTW i suggest you to visit the cathedral "Hram Hristya Spasitilya"(christ the savior )its very beautifull,and shows all power of our country. :happy
    You should know that Moscow and St. Petersburg are very different from the rest of Russia.
    They are much more modern, almost like big western european cities.
    If you have the chance you should visit the countryside so you can see how the vast majority of Russians live like.
    Well,we have a lot of big cities not only that two that you said :whistle

Spetsnaz's Avatar Miles

Oh yes,it was a disaster,just like in new york in 2003.

There's also this little museum that features a 360° painting of the battle of Borodino, it's impressive, so you should check it out if you got time. Ask the russian where it is.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

If you go to Moscow, visit ALL of the Museums. The Kremlin Armory, the Pushkin Museum, Tretakovsky Gallery, State Historical Museum on Red Square, Pashkov House, State Museum of Oriental Art, and countless other museums in and around Moscow

Oh, and go the the Royal Estates. They wre estates owned by Boyars, but during CCCP were converted into museums. Most are outside of Moscow.

Go to the Mausoleum of Lenin. ALL of the churches, monostaries and convents.

THe same goes with Peterburg also. Watch the Bridges during the sunset, awesome.

Oh, and WATCH OUT FOR THE MAFIA!!
    Seriously, they're a huge problem in both cities. My dad almost fell victim about 4 years ago while I was there.

Other cities that you might want to go to are Novgorod, Nizhni Novgorod, Rostov, Murmansk, and some others that I can't remember.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Go there, have a nice time, bring back a russian wife... *tongue*

Your momma is gonna love the possibility of some perestroika toddlers as grandchildren... :lol

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Moscow is on my list of places to visit one day. It has so much history to it.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Originally posted by Stalins Ghost@May 26 2005, 03:32 PM
    Moscow is on my list of places to visit one day. It has so much history to it.
    I've visited many European cities and Moscow was the most impressive IMO.

You should not wait too long because I've heared it's changing very fast.

I like to re-visit in 10 years time and see how it has changed.

Thanks for all the replies. But do keep them coming. As I leave in the middle of june, I have time to hear more opinions. I will also be leaving Europe in July so this is most likely my last big trip. Outside of Rome, and the Normandy Beachs, Moscow or St Petersburg have always been in my top three or four.

I would love to come back with a Russian wife, dam some of those women are simply ANGELS. But that is highly unlikely. I plan on taking an insane amount of pictures to show the rest of my non traveling family and friends, that life is truly beautiful around the world. (to quote the Chili Peppers) So please give me some info on those historic places.

I especially appreciate the Russian Federation (Spetsnaz and others) for chiming in, as we have had our share of differences of opinion in some political threads.

Thanks again and please keep posting...

HC
    Rome Total War 2 Beta Tester

The Censors are coming, the Censors are coming... RUN!!!!!

I would also like to visit Russia someday, Im sure it's a great country where you can have alot of historical feeling.

For some reason, I am building alot of respect and intrest in Russia, Maybe it's because I made friends with a Russian ealier this year in school..
    Long live the Old Guard! Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Spetsnaz's Avatar Miles

Well,i dont know how St. Petersburg looks now,but when i visited it before it all was building up,and it was not very beautifull,every thing was being rebuild,they were readying for the 300th anneversary.
    Oh, and WATCH OUT FOR THE MAFIA!! Seriously, they're a huge problem in both cities. My dad almost fell victim about 4 years ago while I was there.
    Very true,
    My russian friends,looks like you havent seen Moscow and other cities now,MAFIA was but not now ,now they are pressed by FSB, and MVD,mafia lays low now,some mafia went to politics other to buissnes,but i live in Russia and i dont see big men wearing black ,and carrying AK-74 everywhere,so dont scare Americanus *wink* .
    BUT be aware of skinheads,and thiefs. :8