Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: v1.7x Feedback and suggestions

ibigscarymonster's Avatar Civis

Default Re: v1.27 Feedback

I started a new Mughal game with 1.27 and it's going well. Maratha and Mysore got into a war so I was able to take out Maratha pretty easily. last game was more difficult as Mysore went to war with portugal instead of Maratha. Unfortunately, I'm now at war with Mysore and Persia so i'm fighting on two fronts. The Persian's actually took over a basically unguarded Lahore before I recaptured it. Income is all over the place depending on who is raiding the trade lanes. I have been bouncing between 7K and 2K with an average of 4K. I have barely started upgrading the infrastructure so I'm curious to see how rich India can become once Mysore and Persia are destroyed.

Only observation so far is that Dervish warriors seem too powerful. Their high morale makes sense as the are supposed to be religious melee warriors but it also makes them practically unbreakable. They probably need to have their cost increased or a maximum unit cap imposed.

The change to cavalry is nice too. The Maratha Lancers seemed to do more damage against my militia infantry, which was cool/crappy depending on how I looked at it. (Stop routing damn it! )

Quote Originally Posted by ibigscarymonster View Post
    I started a new Mughal game with 1.27 and it's going well. Maratha and Mysore got into a war so I was able to take out Maratha pretty easily. last game was more difficult as Mysore went to war with portugal instead of Maratha. Unfortunately, I'm now at war with Mysore and Persia so i'm fighting on two fronts. The Persian's actually took over a basically unguarded Lahore before I recaptured it. Income is all over the place depending on who is raiding the trade lanes. I have been bouncing between 7K and 2K with an average of 4K. I have barely started upgrading the infrastructure so I'm curious to see how rich India can become once Mysore and Persia are destroyed.

Only observation so far is that Dervish warriors seem too powerful. Their high morale makes sense as the are supposed to be religious melee warriors but it also makes them practically unbreakable. They probably need to have their cost increased or a maximum unit cap imposed.

The change to cavalry is nice too. The Maratha Lancers seemed to do more damage against my militia infantry, which was cool/crappy depending on how I looked at it. (Stop routing damn it! )
    Cool, glad you are enjoying it. I added a unit cap of 10 for dervishes for the next version.

Sage,

I noticed that with the Caribiner (sp?) changes that my Hessian mounted jaegers no longer have the ability to shoot either. They don't make very good "jaegars" if they can't shoot. Was this intentional or just a by product of the changes to the other cavalry designed to keep the AI in check? I am playing the Dutch with 1.27.
    In God we trust...everyone else gets searched.

tomsin's Avatar Miles

mikeCK,

That was intentional. Basically carabineers were used as cuirassiers without cuirasses - that is heavy shock cavaly on heavy horses. That's why they don't shoot (we could leave this ability if the AI would use it properly). To compensate that there is another type of horse - chevaux-legers on weaker horses, not good in shock and melee, but it can dismount and shoot. Hessian mounted jaegers will be a special chevaux-legers, with rifles

"When desperately wounded, the Russian soldier would drag himself eastward simply to die a few yards nearer his homeland." (- Haythornthwaite - "Russian Army" Part I)

Johan217's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by tomsin View Post
    mikeCK,

That was intentional. Basically carabineers were used as cuirassiers without cuirasses - that is heavy shock cavaly on heavy horses. That's why they don't shoot (we could leave this ability if the AI would use it properly). To compensate that there is another type of horse - chevaux-legers on weaker horses, not good in shock and melee, but it can dismount and shoot. Hessian mounted jaegers will be a special chevaux-legers, with rifles
    Strange, they are separate units, so the Hessians should be unaffected... Will fix it.

There will be a few more changes with cavalry in upcoming versions, I'll post a preview soon to clarify.
    Rock 'n' roll is the only religion that will never let you down

Quote Originally Posted by Johan217 View Post
    Strange, they are separate units, so the Hessians should be unaffected... Will fix it.

There will be a few more changes with cavalry in upcoming versions, I'll post a preview soon to clarify.
    That would be my bad! I treated them like regular Carabineers, rathern a a carbine-armed light cavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsin View Post
    mikeCK,

Hey Tomsin,

Actually, in this case, he means the Westphalian Mounted Jagers, not the regular Carbineers or Papal Carbineers. I believe Mike is right -- these should not the unarmored heavy horse that regular carbineers are.

Sage

Default Re: v1.28 Feedback

If only CA would update as issues arise like the TROM team. You guys don't even have STEAM...and wasn't that what STEAM was for? Great work though guys! Keeps getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeCK View Post
    If only CA would update as issues arise like the TROM team. You guys don't even have STEAM...and wasn't that what STEAM was for? Great work though guys! Keeps getting better.
    Thanks Mike!

Sage, is any element of the Smoke/blood mod still a part of the core? I went through with modmanager and scanned the core conflicts and couldn't tell one way or another,

***NOTE, i know there is an optional smoke/blood pack in the core to be put in the folder ***

However, i didn't unzip the optional smoke/blood pack into my data folder at all, and i've removed EVERY other pack file except the necessary TROM files (without having the smoke/blood pack in there obviously), and i still notice that men explode in blood when hit by a cannon.

ANYWAYS, in short, i think the smoke pack is wearing my computer down graphically to super slow, and i'd like to be able to play TROM without it (i think it slows down the campaign as well, as it seems to affect the smoke that buildings/sackings leave too). So, is the smoke and blood mod still partially a part of your current necessary core? Is there anything that can be done to flush it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Smug View Post
    Sage, is any element of the Smoke/blood mod still a part of the core? I went through with modmanager and scanned the core conflicts and couldn't tell one way or another,

***NOTE, i know there is an optional smoke/blood pack in the core to be put in the folder ***

However, i didn't unzip the optional smoke/blood pack into my data folder at all, and i've removed EVERY other pack file except the necessary TROM files (without having the smoke/blood pack in there obviously), and i still notice that men explode in blood when hit by a cannon.

ANYWAYS, in short, i think the smoke pack is wearing my computer down graphically to super slow, and i'd like to be able to play TROM without it (i think it slows down the campaign as well, as it seems to affect the smoke that buildings/sackings leave too). So, is the smoke and blood mod still partially a part of your current necessary core? Is there anything that can be done to flush it out?
    It should not be -- let me check.

Two random thoughts from some recent games.

- Shaturnal Camels are still pretty useless. They are supposed to be mobile artillery on camels. Right now the are missile cavalry with super slow reload times and good range. Camels are slow though so they can't really evade an enemy. A few possible solutions. Increase their range further maybe 230 to match Long Rifles? Gives them Artilleryish range which will help them stay out of trouble. Another idea is to scrap them them being artillery and just give them regualr muskets and normal reload times, just make them regular missile cavalry on camels instead of horses. They could be replace them with Horse Artillery which is the unit that most closely resembles what they are actually supposed to be. Just some ideas.
    I only mention it because they were historically important to the Mughal, Perisan and Afghan armies of the time. At the 3rd Battle of Panipat in 1761, arguable the biggest battle of the 18th Century, they were apparently key to turning the Maratha Flanks.

- I was playing the Russians lastnight and I noticed I can build the Lieb Guard right away in Moscow. I would have thought I would have needed to research a higher level of Infantry tech to get 2 Elite Regiments. Are other Major Nations getting access to Elite units right away? They make a big differnce in early battles where you rarely have full stacks fighting each other...

tomsin's Avatar Miles

- I was playing the Russians lastnight and I noticed I can build the Lieb Guard right away in Moscow. I would have thought I would have needed to research a higher level of Infantry tech to get 2 Elite Regiments. Are other Major Nations getting access to Elite units right away? They make a big differnce in early battles where you rarely have full stacks fighting each other...
    That was intentional. The core of the new Peter the Great's army was created in Peter's youth when he played by organizing youngsters into European-style regiments. These regiments later have grown up into Leib Guard Regiments Semyonovsky and Preobrazhensky. So in the beginning of 18th century they were almost the only really good and trained regiments in Peter's army, armed and drilled in most modern way available, true elite that made its presence sound in every battle. The other regiments were created on their example. That's why Russia can have them early.

"When desperately wounded, the Russian soldier would drag himself eastward simply to die a few yards nearer his homeland." (- Haythornthwaite - "Russian Army" Part I)

Hey Tomsin,
    Okay, I see what you are saying and I actually like the fact the Russians get these two famous Regiments. It’s just by your logic doesn’t that open up any of the Elite Regiments that existed in 1700 to be recruitable immediately by their individual countries? The Coldstream Guards were founded in 1660 for example…
    In Gameplay terms they are quite powerful. I was able to take Ingria with a small force by 1705 against a superior Swedish Army. I’m sure that if I hadn’t had those two Regiments holding my line I would have lost. Anyways, I don’t want to argue (it’s your Mod afterall! ) just providing some feedback. I’m glad they have been added to the game as the Russians deserve an Elite unit like the other European Majors.

Hey Tomsin,
    Okay, I see what you are saying and I actually like the fact the Russians get these two famous Regiments. It’s just by your logic doesn’t that open up any of the Elite Regiments that existed in 1700 to be recruitable immediately by their individual countries? The Coldstream Guards were founded in 1660 for example…
    In Gameplay terms they are quite powerful. I was able to take Ingria with a small force by 1705 against a superior Swedish Army. I’m sure that if I hadn’t had those two Regiments holding my line I would have lost. Anyways, I don’t want to argue (it’s your Mod afterall! ) just providing some feedback. I’m glad they have been added to the game as the Russians deserve an Elite unit like the other European Majors.
    The game play reason is that the Russians start in a really tough position: these two regiments are a small and important equalizer.

The Brits definitely don't need something like this as an advantage!

I'll have another look at the camel gunners.

Quote Originally Posted by sage2 View Post
    The Brits definitely don't need something like this as an advantage!
    And unless Britain was being used by the player they wouldn't be of much use anyway....

The game play reason is that the Russians start in a really tough position: these two regiments are a small and important equalizer.
    Yeah, good point. They will be fighting Sweden, The Ottoman's and three minors within 5 years. Unless you move fast you tend to get squeezed...

Default Re: v1.29 Feedback

Hey folks, 1.29.0 is up. I would especially be interested in your feedback around naval battles. They play quite differently now.

Two random thoughts from some recent games.

- Shaturnal Camels are still pretty useless. They are supposed to be mobile artillery on camels. Right now the are missile cavalry with super slow reload times and good range.
    Should be better. Let me know what you think.

Default Re: v1.29.1 Feedback

Ahhh! I see you added mass fire for grenadiers...I can't wait to try it out!