Page 45 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Submod Index, Recommendations and Questions - updated for 3.2

Default Re: Submod Index, Recommendations and Questions - updated for 3.2

Hello!

Do you know if a "battleaxe-like" submod exist for TATW?

For those who don't know: battleaxe is a mod for M2TW with some interressing features, mainly:
    - No diplomacy (everyone is at war with everyone, forever)
    - Some customised campaign maps (small maps with 20 town/castle for 5 factions, and 50 turns victory conditions especially) with no boats but land bridges

It's the sort of experience i'm searching for: a good challenge focus on "mean" total war in a "Pocket map" package with Third Age factions.

Thanks! ^^

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by baggers View Post
    Hello!

Do you know if a "battleaxe-like" submod exist for TATW?

For those who don't know: battleaxe is a mod for M2TW with some interressing features, mainly:
    - Some customised campaign maps (small maps with 20 town/castle for 5 factions, and 50 turns victory conditions especially) with no boats but land bridges

It's the sort of experience i'm searching for: a good challenge focus on "mean" total war in a "Pocket map" package with Third Age factions.

Thanks! ^^
    not one but I wil search for the closesd experience you micht get for TATW
    a this one
    https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j...17218890,d.ZWU
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by baggers View Post
    Not really, but you can handle it manually.

Step 1)
    Go to .../Medival II Total War/mods/Third_Age_3/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign
    Back up and open descr_strat.txt

Search for diplomat and block those lines out with a semi-colon. Example;
    Code:
    character    Galdor, diplomat, male, age 22, x 59, y 249
    into:
    Code:
    ;character    Galdor, diplomat, male, age 22, x 59, y 249
    Then search for start of diplomacy section so you end up in the section at the end of the file. Delete all entries that begin with "faction_standins" and under that all entries that begin with "faction_relationships" all the way down to "faction_relationships slave". In this way you clean the records, no one likes or dislikes each other when the game start, and are likely to end up in a fight soone.
    Ex:
    Code:
    ; >>>> start of diplomacy section <<<<

faction_standings    england,        -1.0    slave
    faction_standings    england,        -0.9    sicily
    (...)

faction_relationships     england, at_war_with     slave
    faction_relationships     england, at_war_with     sicily
    (...)
    faction_relationships     slave, at_war_with     england, france, hre, spain, venice, sicily, milan, scotland, moors, turks, egypt, mongols, portugal, papal_states, poland
    Save the edits and close the file.
    (Note: These edits only applies to new campaigns)

Step 2)
    Then go back to ...mods/Third_Age_3/data
    Back up and open export_descr_buildings.txt
    Related process here, look for diplomat and delete the entries. Example;
    From this:
    Code:
                capability
                {
                    agent diplomat  0  requires factions { sicily, normans, saxons, milan, scotland, turks, }  
                    agent diplomat  0  requires factions { spain, venice, hrebels, }  
                    agent diplomat  0  requires factions { england, france, hre, portugal, }  
                    agent diplomat  0  requires factions { egypt, mongols, }  
                    agent diplomat  0  requires factions { moors, }  
                    law_bonus bonus 1
    into this:
    Code:
                capability
                {
                    law_bonus bonus 1
    Save the edits and close the file.
    (Warning: this change applies to saved games, so do not do this before you want to start a new campaign).

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Oh, thanks for theses!

I wasn't into M2TW scripts, but after reading your post, I opened the "battleaxe" script and look at what the modder have done:

Code:
    ; >>>> start of diplomacy section <<<<

faction_standings    aztecs,                -1.0    byzantium, turks, crusading_orders, egypt, timurids, mongols, slave, georgia

faction_relationships     aztecs,                 at_war_with     byzantium, turks, crusading_orders, egypt, timurids, mongols, slave, georgia
    For every faction.

I have tried vanilla and likes it, but I think this little thing can add a bit more "chaotic" experience soon ^^ (t my tastes, at least)

I noticed "Barliman" in the TATW desc_strat script, a diplomat already semi-coloned!

Thanks again ^^

Default Looking for Submod Opinions and Recommendations

I have been playing TATW for a couple of months now (I don't get to play very often) so I am relatively new to TATW. I really love the game, but I am looking for a submod to improve the experience and wanted to hear some opinions from people who are more knowledgeable of the various submods without having to read through hundreds of pages on the forum to find out the strengths and weakness of each. I am choosing between DaC, MOS, the unofficial patch 4.8, and Dagor Ennor. So what do people like about these? Are there others that I should be considering? Are there big weaknesses that any have that I should be aware of? Which would you recommend the most? Any help would be appreciated.

I like playing as HE, SE, FPoE, and dwarves in TATW. I like quality over quantity for units. I am not the biggest fan of cavalry armies--hence I don't care too much for Rohan. I am not a big fan of facing hoards of units every turn; I prefer more meaningful battles. So I wasn't a big fan of Gondor since there seems to be a big but not very meaningful battle every 2-3 turns. I enjoy playing as factions that start small as well. I don't generally play evil factions.

Sorry if this thread is unwelcome. I just don't get much time to play and so wanted to get some recommendations.

Default Re: Looking for Submod Opinions and Recommendations

I havent played MOS in a long time but IIRC it has the best scripted starts and the like.

DAC have a huge variety of factions and units but in the late game the ai bonuses make it so stack spam pops up quite often. There is also an issue with invasions of Edoras completely wiping Rohan out in some games but if you prefer elves or dwarves usually an invasion will be called on you first.

I REALLY REALLY like Dagor Ennor. It takes hundreds of turns to build up and has great scripts preventing mass expansion early on. And later once you actually build up stack spam is surprisingly low even though I was totally rich beyond compare I could only have 4-6 stacks active thanks to the way the recruitment works. It did tend to crash sometimes on me though so many sure to save every couple turns just in case because to lose even 3-4 turns of work is a massive blow thanks to the decisive battles.

Thanks for the Dagor Ennor submod info: I noticed this in the description:

while also reducing (frequent) abuse of massing general's units into one army to AI stomp
    And this was exactly what I have done in vanilla TATW to rush Rhun from Dale in 44 turns ^^ Afer the initial satisfaction, I found it a bit tricky since I reallised I can do that for most factions.

I will give a try to this submod ^^

Default Recommendation Mos or DaC?

First a little backstory, I started playing Third age again recently because I wanted to kill orcs and the like while waiting for warhammer. I've never played either submod but I've played the regular Third age campaign enough that I can get through pretty easily on vh/vh. What I'm looking for is a good solid hard campaign but with intentions of losing in the late game to hordes of orcs, I mean to generally ignore mordor let them get the ring and such. So I'm kinda limited to kingdoms that can get a good secure foothold for late game without challenging or hurting mordor too much, I could also go as Saruman and capture the ring to keep it and try to weather the massive show.

So basically which mod offers more of that sense of impending doom and interesting stuff going on to keep the campaign challenging?

So far I've played a couple factions on h/h in both mods for about 30-50 turns to get a feel for each and my feelings are mixed. Both have their highs and lows, but overall MOS seems....easier? On paper it seems like there are more scripts and events to keep it more interesting, with invasions, counter invasions, the growing dread, garrison scripts, and so on but my MOS campaign isn't delivering so far. I playing as the Mirkwood elves and in 60 turns I've been attacked once by mordor and that was right after I sacked their first town they picked up outside of Dol Guldor. In about 15-20 turns they will be out of Mirkwood completely, aside from that it seems like the evil forces are getting curb stomped elsewhere in the world. Lorien owns Moria, Anor has stacks of troops romping through the orc territories in the north. Does this game get more... challenging? It feels like it should in the late game but the early game seems to be kicking the piss out of mordor.

In my DaC experience...I get random crashes and a buggy minimap. But the campaigns seem a little more random in who is succeeding and where. I have no problems establishing myself except for playing as the White Hand....at around turn 30-40 I had 5 territories that held the gap of Rohan but Rohan wasnt attacking me, instead they were just sitting stacks of troops in my lands. I quit that campaign when it got the point that I couldn't safely move troops around without them being in a full stack but if I emptied out a town and fort to make a stack Rohan would swoop in and take my town.

Couple other random questions, DaC says the Dwarves of Kazadum are incomplete, what does that really mean? does it affect the game too much? I've never been too sure on the Ring, who can 'use it?' I mean to say if I go out of my way to capture the ring I'm keeping it, is it worth it to do that?

Thanks for reading

TL;DR Which mod (and faction choice) do you think gives me the best chance at an end game loss to a stacking horde? DaC seems to be more challenging but more bugs, and MoS seems to easy, in the early game.

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Recommendation Mos or DaC?

DAC, One-ring Isengard with no intervention until you have the ring would be interesting. By then I'd imagine the forces of evil to be on the front foot leaving you little time to build a force capable of stopping them. Being invaded by Sauron at Isengard is one particularly nasty situation. I wouldn't want to be in come mid-game.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

The AI Khazad-Dûm is scripted to reclaim Moria in turn 1 or 2 and stay passive mostly, tho building up their forces, the longer you wait the harder it may be to take the settlement for yourself. The player campaign for Khazad-Dûm is indeed bugged, the Mirkwood route is broken, tho players have been able to play the Anduin Vale route to the north.
    For the ring, Isengard can take it and give it to Saruman, which will unlock some pretty cool stuff, the Nazgûl will also join your side one by one, with a new incredibly strong BG unit. Ofcourse Mordor can get the ring, and other evil factions i think bring it to the Black Gate, while good factions need to destroy it to get rid of Mordor as a faction.

In terms of difficulty, it's still Medieval 2 Total War, the challange depends on how the player plays his game, rushing early on will always make the campaign more easy. Tho i think that the Northern Dúnedain campaign is pretty difficult, aswell as Remnants of Angmar.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch-Balrog View Post
    In terms of difficulty, it's still Medieval 2 Total War, the challange depends on how the player plays his game, rushing early on will always make the campaign more easy. Tho i think that the Northern Dúnedain campaign is pretty difficult, aswell as Remnants of Angmar.
    Well I mean I'm looking for that late game horde, like the Tims in SS. I'm looking to put myself in a reasonably stable situation and defend until I lose. For example I could play as the elves and let Mordor and crew grow unchecked, let Mordor get the ring and so on. Or do the Saruman thing and keep the ring and have everyone dog pile on. I didn't know which mod had that better sort of looming late game, on paper it seemed like MOS would be it but my first 60 turns or so were easy. I think I'm gonna go for the DaC mod on that. Will Gandalf or anyone else do something similar like Saruman does if you give him the ring to keep? Either way White Hand trolls look like too much fun pair them with zerkers and well I can't wait to see that and troll on troll action.

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I think for most that boarders/surpasses the point of having fun. I remember RSII and it's 5 battles a turn with mid-game Rome. Jesus Christ.

Your campaign will only ever be as hard as your house rules make it.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Default Which submod has the largest unit variety for Gondor?

Hi guys.

I was an avid player of the Third age mod a few years ago and I'm considering picking up the mantle once again

I exclusively play as Gondor and I would really like as large a unit variety as possible.

Last I played Taro_M had made a mod which vastly increased the Gondor roster, but now it seems that this mod only exists in partial form implemented into some of the larger mod compliations.

So my question would be which of the current stable mods have the largest variety of units for Gondor?

Furthermore, could somebody possibly point me in the direction of a modding showing me how to add and remove units from the mod, so I could possibly bolster the gondor ranks further?

I really appreciate any advice

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Default Re: Which submod has the largest unit variety for Gondor?

Quote Originally Posted by J0shua View Post
    Hi guys.

I was an avid player of the Third age mod a few years ago and I'm considering picking up the mantle once again

I exclusively play as Gondor and I would really like as large a unit variety as possible.

Last I played Taro_M had made a mod which vastly increased the Gondor roster, but now it seems that this mod only exists in partial form implemented into some of the larger mod compliations.

So my question would be which of the current stable mods have the largest variety of units for Gondor?

Furthermore, could somebody possibly point me in the direction of a modding showing me how to add and remove units from the mod, so I could possibly bolster the gondor ranks further?

I really appreciate any advice
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...g-fixer-patch)
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Default Re: Which submod has the largest unit variety for Gondor?

Thanks! That's the one I used last I played as well so that will be nice

However, if I'm allowed to be extra difficult I would like to use some of these in either DaC or MOS.

Is there a link somewhere on how to sucessfully add and remove units in the game so I can manually include what I want?

Here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...om-another-mod

MOS use many of them already, may be noted.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

cjm81499's Avatar Biarchus

Default Best submod?

I have been playing Third Age for a while now, and want to try a submod. I have heard good things about Divide and Conquer and MOS. Which of those or any others, would you recommend to get first?

So I have another question about the DaC mod. I'm playing as the Northern Dunedain and I get a letter from Gandalf telling me to search for Gollum and there isn't a marker on the map, is this a timed thing? It sounded like it but I can't seem to find him can someone help me out here? Also do I eventually get to have Gandalf as a hero?

Quote Originally Posted by Demonicfury View Post
    So I have another question about the DaC mod. I'm playing as the Northern Dunedain and I get a letter from Gandalf telling me to search for Gollum and there isn't a marker on the map, is this a timed thing? It sounded like it but I can't seem to find him can someone help me out here? Also do I eventually get to have Gandalf as a hero?
    Please ask these kinds of questions in DaC's thread; http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-0-52-Released
    This thread is meant for questions concerning what submod to chose, not submod gameplay support.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Best submod?

Quote Originally Posted by cjm81499 View Post
    I have been playing Third Age for a while now, and want to try a submod. I have heard good things about Divide and Conquer and MOS. Which of those or any others, would you recommend to get first?
    4.9 Alternative patch is the closest to vanilla TATW, but adds a bunch of new things to it (custom settlements being the biggest one).

MOS is in terms of factions still pretty close-ish to vanilla, but it adds loads of scripts and options you can choose from in the beginning of the campaign, it also uses the Divide and Conquer campaign map.

DaC is probably the biggest changer to TATW. Almost everything has been changed or overhauled. It has the largest number of factions, and also has alot of parts from the 4.9 Alternative patch included. The campaign map works the best for this submod, as it was created with these factions in mind. There are also a bunch of events that take place throughout the campaign.

In the end, it's up to you to choose, not others.
    Last edited by Ngugi; May 25, 2016 at 06:37 AM.