Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rewriting Old AARs

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Default Rewriting Old AARs

In recognition both of the conversation going on in the AARtists Social Group and of the newly rebranded AAR Competitions Forum, I want to see what people have to say about going back to old AARs and rewriting them.

I recently came across my first AAR, from a while back (June '08) based on an Irish SS game. It lasted all of two updates. I now want to go back and complete it, after I finish my newly started AAR (link in the sig as always), and completely rewrite.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Good idea, bad idea? Any tips or suggestions. In the full spirit of the 'AARtists Lounge and Gaming Room', what say you?
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Default Re: Rewriting Old AARs

Good idea. I still feel very, very guilty about the duo-aar Xavier and I wrote, and which failed completely due to my failure to deliver. Before I start writing another, new AAR, I'm going to finish that one. As much for the public (if anyone still remembers it) as for myself, since it rather irks me.

What might also be an idea, is republishing an aar you wrote, but now know you can write better. Though that might not be a good idea, since each AAR you produce is unique, and thus stands or falls as you make it. Still, if you are now a much better writer than you were, there is no-one stopping you.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

SonOfAlexander's Avatar I want his bass!
    Citizen

I think that rewriting old AARs is a good idea, and I always recommend people who need a plot to look at the hundreds of old AARs lying in the backpages for inspiration.
    Please come see the BAARC
    Proud Member of the Critic's Quill & ES content staff
    Under the benificient and omniscient patronage of Carl Von Döbeln
    Bono: "Let me tell you something. I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country in 20 or 30 years, and tell me about the 'Resistance', the 'Revolution' 'back home'. The 'glory' of the revolution, and the 'glory' of dying for the revolution. F *** THE REVOLUTION!!!"
    Ariovistus Maximus: "Google supplieth all."
    [Multi-AAR] Caelus Morsus Luminius

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

A good writer will reuse material. Sometimes a rewrite, but more often taking a chapter of a failed book and writing a new book more focused based only on the one chapter. I think this may be the key here when an AAR has too many screen shots and too much action, but too little character developement and plot. Just a thought for some to think about.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Edward lV's Avatar Campidoctor

I have always wanted to finish the last legion, hell I even have the next update saved on my P.C, but I think its been too long to revive it.

If you think it's worth it then you must do it.
    One of the few to still have his first avatar in place here on TWC.
    I sometimes miss this place you know. This is where my journey began.

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

For a moment there I thought you meant covering an AAR!
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

Quote Originally Posted by total war king View Post
    I think its been too long to revive it.
    It's never too long to revive.

Read my AARs:
    The Legacy of Megas Alexandros (Europa Barbarorum as Arche Seleukeia)
    The Prodigal Son (Shogun 2 as Mori)
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

Benz282's Avatar Vicarius

I've been considering rewriting "Rome - A Scipii AAR" to commemorate the fact its been a year since I started it. Probably wont get around to it though. I'd rather make new material than confine myself to the restrictions of a plot I've already finished.

Finishing the Rise of the Eastern Kingdom will have to wait a bit, I'm going to translate a thesis from Dutch to English for the Writing Competition. That'll be fun!
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Great!!! More submission means more good stuff! Join the party and get a submission in for the writing contest.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Man, I've got dozens of dead AARs lying around. But I wouldn't want to revisit any.

Actually, no, I correct myself. I wouldn't have minded going back to finish I, Quintus. After all It won me my medal, but died shortly afterwards. I guess I'm just too lazy...

Calvin's Avatar Countdown: 7 months
    Citizen

My Encyclopedic History of Rome will be rewritten once we've finished making RS2.
    Developer for Roma Surrectum 2 || Follow my move to the USA in Calvin's Corner
    Son of Noble Savage || Proud patron of [user]Winter[/user], [user]Lord of the Knights[/user] and [user]fergusmck[/user]

And hints when that will be?

Calvin's Avatar Countdown: 7 months
    Citizen

Yesterday. You mean you didn't know?
    Developer for Roma Surrectum 2 || Follow my move to the USA in Calvin's Corner
    Son of Noble Savage || Proud patron of [user]Winter[/user], [user]Lord of the Knights[/user] and [user]fergusmck[/user]

Golly! Though now I think about it, that contradicts your first statement a bit. How odd.

Kallum's Avatar I win, you lose!
    Somewhere behind a desk, following the world from behind the save glowing screen that is my desktop

I think every AAR writer, has came to this point more or less. I for myself can still hammer myself on my head for my Templar AAR from God perspective and my AAR about the history of the world, though the latter one was way to ambitious now I think of it
    Carl von Dobeln's son
    How it all began
    Author of the Basileia ton Romaion Series book 1, 2, 3
    The work has been done, the trilogy is completed or has it?

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

I am revisiting Juvenal's Journal here. Looking back at it, I felt the early story needed bulking up a bit, and the early pictures needed editing to zap UI artifacts. Hopefully my writing skills have improved a bit since 2007. Trouble is, I don't get a lot of time to go through it, even my current AAR suffers from the pressure of my TotW and Critic's Quill commitments.

I can sympathise with Jingle_Bombs, when I was younger I used to play hex-map wargames (solo). I had a bad habit of getting a quarter of the way through a game and then realising that I had played non-optimally and starting the whole thing again. So nowadays I try hard to carry things through to the end.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    I can sympathise with Jingle_Bombs, when I was younger I used to play hex-map wargames (solo). I had a bad habit of getting a quarter of the way through a game and then realising that I had played non-optimally and starting the whole thing again. So nowadays I try hard to carry things through to the end.
    Reminds me of my love-making . . .

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    Reminds me of my love-making . . .
    Was that the "solo" or the "giving up halfway"?

My wargames used to last for several weeks, by which time the map and counters were thick with dust. I wrote my first AARs to record progress (no, they aren't of readable quality).

I recall having trouble accepting dice-rolls that scuppered my current plan. After re-rolling got to ridiculous proportions I started printing out strips of random numbers to force myself to accept the results.

Ah... I'm getting all nostalgic now. Maybe I'll resurrect my hex-map programming project.
    imb39 ...is my daddy!
    See AARtistry in action: Spite of Severus and Severus the God

Support the MAARC!
    Tale of the Week Needs You!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast