Thread: Instant CTD

Default Instant CTD

Probably a really foolish question, but why does my game crash to the desktop with no error boxes appearing? It does this after I've launched the game, when the introduction video should start.

Haven't been able to play since I installed 1.1, so, thinking 1.1 was the problem, I deleted my TATW files and reinstalled TATW. No luck.

Subzeroplainzero's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Instant CTD

I had the same problem when I first got the mod.
    I uninstalled and wiped every trace of m2 off my hard drive and reinstalled and it worked.
    Strange that it would be crashing now even though you've already been playing it though. Good luck with this.
    Mummy I love you

Reinstalled medieval 2, reinstalled kingdoms, reinstalled TATW part 1 and 2. Same problem. I'm redownloading them now, as I can't really see what else the problem could be with. Normal Me2/kingdoms works fine.

Well I reinstalled twice to no avail. It was only when I deleted everything to do with m2 off of my computer that it eventually worked. Did you delete the m2tw directory after installation? There are still some files left behind and I believe that one of them was causing my crash for some reason.
    Mummy I love you

I deleted the entire me2 directory after uninstalling, then reinstalled it all, and still the same problem.

I'm not sure what else to do, since as this same download of part 1 and 2 worked before I patched, so I can't see why it would stop working now.

damn! that's harsh. I feel for you. I know how frustrating this stuff can be.
    The only other thing that might have helped mine work was that I installed kingdoms in french. It said (standard) next to the french option. I don't know if that effected anything but it was worth a try, damn amazon flogging me a french copy.
    errm.....u using vista?
    Mummy I love you

Yeah, vista.
    Installing it in french and then changing the language? Hmm, might work. I'm thinking of difficulties that might happen, but it's worth a try. Will get back to yous tomorrow.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

It has most likely to do with the Virtual Folder in Vista. Two choices:

1. Head over to the Technical Help Forum and figure out what to do.
    2. After uninstalling, install Med2 into a different folder like C:\Games (I have been doing that for years - didn't even know Vista had the "V" folder)

That is the silent revenge of Bill - apparently you are not supposed to install non Microsoft programs into the 'Program Files' directory. Whatever the reason, if you install into a different directory, you will not have this problem.

Thank you, Gigantus!

Fixed.

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service

Col Poutting's Avatar Tiro

I still have the odd crashes during game. Says med2 has encoutered unspecified error and will shut down. Or, it says that due to a graphical error, the game crashed.
    If i reload the exact same battle, I'll be able to play it without problems. These crashes occure only when entering battle map or going out of it.. and not on every battle..like each 2 or 3. My hardware is more than capable to run this game with all maxed out. (i run empire maxed settings with no probs)

I tried all i could: reinstalled mod, reinstalled game and mod, bought med 2 gold to see if theres any difference (none to my despair), installed in Games folder (not the standard prog files), deleted all files in between installs...etc.

Anyone has a clue about what the prob could be?

Blog Entries

When last did you dust the inside of your machine? Overheating does that. If you max the settings keep in mind that the game only uses one processor, that can create quite some heat.
    Otherwise resign yourself to the odd bug, we all have to a certain extent.

Hmm my comp is very new (3 month) so its clean and i got a i 7 core 920. huge fans, so I dont suppose its the issue. I'lll try with installing SS too. Maybe it'll help.

Blog Entries

Then welcome to the "club of the mysterious crash". It happens every now and then: it could be some esoteric graphic setting, or a fancy graphics file, or a misplaced unit texture, or .... Do I have to go on?
    If you can't repeat the crash (same situation) then resign yourself to being a member of this illustrious club. If it happens too often, use "save" a bit more liberally.

Well i resigned...didnt help. I save before each and every battle now....and reload my game regularely..
    Am with Rhun, turn 75, Dale eliminated, taking on the 2 dwarven citys in the north ( will get the third soon.) All works well and i'm swiming in cash. Starting to train my first lok rhim units (sp?)