Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Best ways to kill Trolls (Instructions)

Default Re: Trolls /// the best ways to kill them /// Instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Myshkin View Post
    2 Fountain Guards (spear wall on) >> 1 Oleg Hai : FTs ~10% more expensive, 50% casualties (good money wise)

2 Swan Knights (only charges no fight) >> 1 Oleg Hai : ~25% more expensive , ~80% casualties (ok money wise...)

Couldn't find better cost effective combos for the Gordonian army. One unit which has interesting effects are the Pelargin Marines (force stop after throw javellins, don't let them fight), due to AP javellin bonus.

The problem with PMs is you have to use it with a meet shield, and the meet shield dies too fast from your own javellins, hence it cannot be cost effective.
    Attacking axemen of Lossarnach+militia combined with bodyguards charging in rear is early available and exelent combination.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." George Orwell

Myshkin's Avatar Centenarius

Nice! Will keep in mind!

Default Re: -- Trolls /// the best ways to kill them /// Instructions --

just curious, when you say that ranged units are useful, are you talking about from the front or the flanks? cos ive always found archers/ skirmishers to be devastating to any unit when used properly. just engage the trolls and bring your missile units around them (exposed sides or back) and let loose. should get good results from that

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

I think we will need a how to beat ents thread very soon as well

fire arrows FTW!!
    Computer crashed... SAD

Hello everybody,

I think trolls are not overpowered, but they shouldn´t be able to walkthrough a golden fountain guard spearwall with that ease. When i saw that I just said WHAT THE ( the trolls were gold too)

P.S: I still play 1.0 TATW. Great thread guys! Sorry for my poor english!

Misha97's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: ██ BEST WAYS TO KILL TROLLS -- (Instructions)

Wow, I hit 12 trolls with 2 "3 silver xp" generals and 2 cavalary militia and from the front with swordsmen milita and my men all got slaughtered. Nope I dont have siege equipment!

jản's Avatar █ kept in suspense █

Quote Originally Posted by Misha97 View Post
    Wow, I hit 12 trolls with 2 "3 silver xp" generals and 2 cavalary militia and from the front with swordsmen milita and my men all got slaughtered. Nope I dont have siege equipment!
    cavalry-charge from the flanks or from behind and hit&run tactic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Myshkin View Post
    Elves need a unit which can form spearwall...
    Actually - no, they don´t. I had just accidentially an incident wih cave trolls when attacking what I Beleived to be a small stack of rebels - well, it was 3 orc bands, 1 orc spearman and 2 cave troll units (1 half size though). Silvan Elves (me) with one unit of heavy spearmen, one heavy archers, one sentinels, 2 light archers, General.

The outcome was - all orc units routed more or less on the fly, trolls dead, lost about 150 men to trols (equivalent of one full unit). Key to success - focussed all archers on the trolls (with normal arrows - important) and just sent the orcs routing with some rounds of fire arrows manually put in from the flanks followed by a spearmen charge. After that the batle broke down in wo different theaters - one troll unit chasing the light elves and the sentinel, the damaged one chasing the spearmen and the heavy archers. I forgot about the light eleves, looked some minutes later - and the trolls where GONE in auto skirmishing mode (about 90 casualties for this wing). The other one was always the same (out of desperation) - trolls charge, heavy archers run away (manually activated), trolls waist time with the few that were caught in melee,general fire from the side, trolls charge general, general runs away (manually activated) and so forth. 6 trolls dead in the end, with about 60 casualties. Hardly got into sweat. Since then I never had a problem with trolls as elves - with normal (!) arrows they sooner or later cease to pose a problem :-)))))).

Budgetwise the relations needed and the losses taken (2.5 elven archers per troll unit, light ones suffice) are bad for Mordor or OotM. Simply LOCK the archers on the trolls, even a troll unit can only chase one unit at a time ...

That works for HE and SE, for Gondor its (as already written) axemen + militia archers, for dwarves it obvious anyway. Trolls are by no means overpowered, just annoying because srewing your battle setup.

Regards,

Thorsten

captcruch's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBigAb View Post
    I think we will need a how to beat ents thread very soon as well
    lol

I thought hamstringing any giant should be easily enough if you can sneak up behind one? Even a quick little burglar hobbit could do it!

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

when people say trolls are overpowered, i tend to dissagree. I usually take them out with units that throw spears (axe thowers, peligar marines) Trolls are so godd because their upkeep is over 600 a turn! thats more than any other three orc units combined. they are a pain to go against, but a pain to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by ThorHa View Post
    Trolls are by no means overpowered, just annoying because srewing your battle setup.

Regards,

Thorsten

Battle Setup. My Battle Setup. My Precious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorarii View Post
    I thought hamstringing any giant should be easily enough if you can sneak up behind one? Even a quick little burglar hobbit could do it!

R
    Not if you can't penetrate the skin or armour. The hobbits could only do it because they kept on getting Elfin blades.

The only thing I find particularly annoying about Trolls is, other than them occasionally refusing to follow my orders, is when I'm fighting them on walls and they become nigh-on invincible. Especially if you're defending and can't hit them with seige weapons. Out of curiousity, how do you all counter trolls when you're defending a seige and the trolls come up ladders??

Don't be on the wall silly.

errr just a suggestion to jan couldnt you put a section on your guide on the OP on how to prevent trolls from fighting you. i mean once you start fighting trolls you know your enemy has them, thats when you need to stop the production of trolls correct?

so make assasins and sabotage troll cages thats a lil bit advice i think people forget

Trolls are very easy to kill. I have tested and won against one unit of olog-hai with one of each of these units:
    -Fountain Guard
    -Guards of Khazad-dum
    -Iron Guard
    -Dragonslayers of Ered-Mithrin

In my opinion, either these units are overpowered or trolls are in fact underpowered. Olog-hai at 2000 florins costs more than twice the money of any of the above units.

Default Trolls and Olog-Hais - how to counter them as Dale?

I am playing as Dale and Rhun is already nonexistent. After defeating Rhun, I planned to gather army of awesome units, but Mordor attacked first.

They attacked not with Trolls, but my Spies noticed many, REALLY many Trolls/Olog-Hais at their lands. I doubt if this ammount of Trolls existed in entire Middle-Earth in books, but who cares. So, what should I do to counter them?

I am around turn 80 and my best units are newly recruited Bardian Marksmen/Athala Rangers at Dale, I am constructing Drill Square (or whatever it was called) to recruit Swordmasters. I have started to do Small Taxes in 13000-12000+ people cities, so I will have those even better stone walls there even faster.

Do I have to use Ballistas? But problem is ballistas aren't accurate, so I doubt if they would counter Trolls.

el Cid's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Trolls and Olog-Hais - how to counter them as Dale?

Tie them up with infantry, then charge from behind with cavalry or kill 'em with catapults or ballistae.

Baron Samedi's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Trolls and Olog-Hais - how to counter them as Dale?

Under the patronage of MasterBigAb