Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoke trail problem - Help!

Default Smoke trail problem - Help!

What happens is that smoke trail from flaming arrows or balistas or catapults is made of big squares. Other smoke effects are fine (and in vanilla M2 TW everthing is ok). I'm attaching a screen which shows the problem. Hope someone can help. I've been having the same problem with SS 6.2 (no one responded in the mod workshop so I don't have high hopes for a solution). Not a horrible problem but it would be nice if it was resolved. Installed is Third Age TW with 1.1 patch, nothing else.
    Thx in advance!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Smoke trail problem - Help!

Have you tried to alter the graphics settings?

Maybe copy the graphics setting from your med2 configuration file into the TATW configuration file, seeing that you didn't have problems there.

Thx for the reply but it did not work. Also the video section of TATW config is only:
    [video]
    ;windowed = true
    ;movies = false
    show_banners = 0
    grass_distance = 9000

But for M2TW:
    [video]
    anisotropic_level = 4
    anti_alias_mode = off
    antialiasing = 2
    assassination_movies = 1
    autodetect = 0
    battle_resolution = 1280 1024
    bloom = 1
    building_detail = high
    campaign_resolution = 1280 1024
    depth_shadows = 2
    depth_shadows_resolution = 1
    effect_quality = high
    event_movies = 1
    gamma = 116
    grass_distance = 500
    ground_buffers_per_node = 4
    ground_cover_buffers_per_node = 4
    infiltration_movies = 1
    model_buffers_per_node = 4
    no_background_fmv = 0
    reflection = 1
    sabotage_movies = 1
    shader = 2
    show_banners = 1
    show_package_litter = 1
    skip_mip_levels = 0
    splashes = 1
    sprite_buffers_per_node = 4
    stencil_shadows = 1
    subtitles = 0
    terrain_quality = custom
    texture_filtering = 2
    unit_detail = high
    vegetation = 1
    vegetation_quality = high
    vsync = 1
    water_buffers_per_node = 4
    widescreen = 0

I still tried copying the whole VIDEO section and deleting double entries and still there is no difference. All Kingdoms campaigns have normal smoke but TATW still has those boxes.

Smirk's Avatar Libertus

That was a problem i had with the smoke trails too. I'm not positive but wouldn't be at all surprisd if everyone has it (as you REALLY have to pay attention to see it). I have amended loads of the effects since and it is corrected for me.

Maybe I'll send him my whole effects folder in the hope that it sorts others out.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

There are some lines commented out in descr_flaming_projectiles.txt:

Code:
    effect_set arrows_new_set
    {
        lod 1000
        {
            arrow_model
            ;arrow_model_trail
            arrow_whizz_sound
            arrow_fly_sound
        }
    }

effect_set crossbow_arrows_new_set
    {
        lod 1000
        {
            crossbow_arrow_model
            ;crossbow_arrow_model_trail
            crossbow_fly_sound
        }
    }

effect_set crossbow_steel_arrows_new_set
    {
        lod 1000
        {
            crossbow_steel_arrow_model
            ;crossbow_steel_arrow_model_trail
            crossbow_fly_sound
        }
    }
    But I don't think that is problem - surely it would otherwise happen on my machine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirk View Post
    That was a problem i had with the smoke trails too. I'm not positive but wouldn't be at all surprisd if everyone has it (as you REALLY have to pay attention to see it). I have amended loads of the effects since and it is corrected for me.

Maybe I'll send him my whole effects folder in the hope that it sorts others out.
    Glad to hear that someone else also had the problem, at least that means that it's not just my crappy PC mocking me. Effects folder could be the way to solve this annoyance...
    Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    There are some lines commented out in descr_flaming_projectiles.txt:

Code:
    effect_set arrows_new_set
    {
        lod 1000
        {
            arrow_model
           ;arrow_model_trail
            arrow_whizz_sound
            arrow_fly_sound
        }
    }

effect_set crossbow_arrows_new_set
    {
        lod 1000
        {
            crossbow_arrow_model
            ;crossbow_arrow_model_trail
            crossbow_fly_sound
        }
    }

effect_set crossbow_steel_arrows_new_set
    {
        lod 1000
        {
            crossbow_steel_arrow_model
            ;crossbow_steel_arrow_model_trail
            crossbow_fly_sound
        }
    }
    But I don't think that is problem - surely it would otherwise happen on my machine as well.
    True... That descr_flaming_projectiles.txt is same here. Maybe it's those smoke.tga files? I tried but couldn't find them... On the other hand I supose that TATW takes .tgas from M2TW so the problem should appear in vanilla game but it doesn't.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Chudomix View Post
    Glad to hear that someone else also had the problem, at least that means that it's not just my crappy PC mocking me. Effects folder could be the way to solve this annoyance...

True... That descr_flaming_projectiles.txt is same here. Maybe it's those smoke.tga files? I tried but couldn't find them... On the other hand I supose that TATW takes .tgas from M2TW so the problem should appear in vanilla game but it doesn't.
    The commented out parts mean that arrow trails are removed, it has nothing to do with smoke. I have those boxes too but I remember having the same problem when watching closely over my kingdoms campaign, so ... ? I don't really think it's tatw issue. I think it was always like that in m2tw. Plus, when I pause and zoom in not always I see these squares, sometimes it's perfectly normal. Engine bug, all that is to it guys.

EDIT: Wait, looks like it was problem with Crimson Tide installed on my campaigns ... dunno what causes this problem tbh ...
    Last edited by Achilla; May 20, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Hmmm... http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=174686

"NEW! Features 4.2 Patch
    -corrected the fire trail bug
    -the dust is now brown as intended, and should show up better.
    (look for at the bottom of the post for the patch)"

So it fixed? Jej! Gonna try it as soon as I get home, still post here if it works for you... Or doesn't...

Dunno mate, I found out deleting descr_flaming_projectiles.txt gets rid of the problem but puts back the projectile trails in the game.

EDIT: I tried out that patch and descr_flaming_projectiles patch file is exactly the same file as the one from CT 4.2 ... black squares are still in place. I fail to see how Magus has fixed fire trails with patch that doesn't work.
    Last edited by Achilla; May 21, 2009 at 03:06 PM.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.

Yep... Black boxes are still there. At least we know in which file the problem is... Did deleting descr_flaming_projectiles.txt cause any problems with the game? No other graphic bugs or crashes?

Yep... Black boxes are still there. At least we know in which file the problem is... Did deleting descr_flaming_projectiles.txt cause any problems with the game? No other graphic bugs or crashes?
    Nope. It deletes arrow trails only ( these 'shadow' textures following projectiles in kingdoms vanilla). I was trying to delete trails by changing few things over descr_arrow_trail_effects.txt but all proved utter failure so I guess you will have to comply with trails back in the game if you want to get rid of those boxes. Funny thing, the problem persists if you copy-paste original unpacked descr_flaming_projectiles.txt from any vanilla campaign - it's some kind of bug in game itself, not Magus fault.

Just been digging a bit and found this post by Oddball_E8 in Crimson Tide 4.2 thread: "
    hey, i just fiddled about with the flaming projectiles file (or whatever its called) and i got some great results (when it comes to removing the square smoke patterns behind the flaming arrows) by using the smoke textures of other flaming projectiles such as the greek fire (wich i thought worked best), catapult and ballistas..." I'm not home at the moment to try it but looks like a good idea.

Just been digging a bit and found this post by Oddball_E8 in Crimson Tide 4.2 thread: "
    hey, i just fiddled about with the flaming projectiles file (or whatever its called) and i got some great results (when it comes to removing the square smoke patterns behind the flaming arrows) by using the smoke textures of other flaming projectiles such as the greek fire (wich i thought worked best), catapult and ballistas..." I'm not home at the moment to try it but looks like a good idea.
    Sure, have fun once you are back home, in the meantime I have removed the file already

Deleting descr_flaming_projectiles.txt does indeed fix the problem. However this does not work with Stainless Steel. So I replaced smoke0.tga with greek_burning_smoke.tga:

effect arrow_model_trail_flaming
    {
    type particle
    {
    texture battlefield/fire/greek_burning_smoke.tga

That works with TATW and SS. Also there are black boxes trails with catapult rocks. (Strange... Why would a plain rock make smoke...) Gonna try and mess a bit more with this.

What happens is that smoke trail from flaming arrows or balistas or catapults is made of big squares. Other smoke effects are fine (and in vanilla M2 TW everthing is ok). I'm attaching a screen which shows the problem. Hope someone can help. I've been having the same problem with SS 6.2 (no one responded in the mod workshop so I don't have high hopes for a solution). Not a horrible problem but it would be nice if it was resolved. Installed is Third Age TW with 1.1 patch, nothing else.
    Thx in advance!
    I've exactly the same problem, dunno why...

Magus's Avatar Tiro

Hey guys,
    just wanted to offer my input, I actually corrected that issue, there is a text file on the bottom of the thread for crimson tide, just download it and unzip it into the folder of whichever mod your using, the text files not only fix the fire but they make the dust kicked up by soldiers during combat look alot sweeter, oh and no arrow trails.. here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...9&d=1218241699 let me know if you guys have any questions, I hope you enjoy the mod.
    Author of Crimson Tide, the Battlefield Aesthetics Mod
    click below for link.

Deleting descr_flaming_projectiles.txt does indeed fix the problem. However this does not work with Stainless Steel. So I replaced smoke0.tga with greek_burning_smoke.tga:

effect arrow_model_trail_flaming
    {
    type particle
    {
    texture battlefield/fire/greek_burning_smoke.tga

That works with TATW and SS. Also there are black boxes trails with catapult rocks. (Strange... Why would a plain rock make smoke...) Gonna try and mess a bit more with this.
    Here is your catapult

effect flaming_boulder_smoke_trail
    {
    type particle
    {
    texture battlefield/fire/smoke0.tga

size_range 2.0, 2.5
    age_range 1.4, 1.5
    grow_range 1.5, 2.8
    velocity 0.0, 0.2

keyframe_colour
    {
    0.0, 255, 80, 80, 80
    0.7, 0, 80, 80, 80

}

alpha_max 190 ; maximum alpha value
    emitter distance
    {
    density 1 ; how many particels per meter
    }

fade_time 0.1

clr_adjust_by_ambient_intensity
    }
    }

@Magus

The files in TATW installation are exactly the same as you provided with your patch, but PROBLEM PERSISTS.

See for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    Here is your catapult

effect flaming_boulder_smoke_trail
    {
    type particle
    {

size_range 2.0, 2.5
    age_range 1.4, 1.5
    grow_range 1.5, 2.8
    velocity 0.0, 0.2

keyframe_colour
    {
    0.0, 255, 80, 80, 80
    0.7, 0, 80, 80, 80

}

alpha_max 190 ; maximum alpha value
    emitter distance
    {
    }

fade_time 0.1

}
    }
    Tried that but it doesn't help. Probably because this is a regular boulder (which I can not find, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place). I made a screen of the problem, see attachment. It's not as annoying as arrow smoke but it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Magus View Post
    Hey guys,
    just wanted to offer my input, I actually corrected that issue, there is a text file on the bottom of the thread for crimson tide, just download it and unzip it into the folder of whichever mod your using, the text files not only fix the fire but they make the dust kicked up by soldiers during combat look alot sweeter, oh and no arrow trails.. here is the link http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...9&d=1218241699 let me know if you guys have any questions, I hope you enjoy the mod.
    Except the box-smoke problem the mod is excellent and we've tried the patch and, as Achilla said, it didn't work. Hope you can help.

Tried that but it doesn't help. Probably because this is a regular boulder (which I can not find, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place). I made a screen of the problem, see attachment. It's not as annoying as arrow smoke but it's there.

Except the box-smoke problem the mod is excellent and we've tried the patch and, as Achilla said, it didn't work. Hope you can help.
    Hmmm ...

effect boulder_dust
    {
    type particle
    {

size_range 1.0, 1.5
    age_range 0.1, 0.5
    grow_range 1.1, 1.6
    velocity 0.0, 0.2
    colour 87, 87, 74
    alpha_max 14 ; maximum alpha value

emitter distance
    {
    density 2 ; how many particels per meter
    }

}
    }

effect boulder_dust_big
    {
    type particle
    {

size_range 2.5, 4
    age_range 0.1, 0.5
    grow_range 1, 0.1
    velocity 0.3, 11
    colour 160, 160, 160
    alpha_max 14 ; maximum alpha value

emitter distance
    {
    }

}
    }

change with smoke2.tga maybe? no idea ... (just so you don't get flaming trail after stone boulder
    -------------------

from descr_arrow_trail_effects (not included in tatw, it's uploaded by me in attachments ... I've added shockwave effect to shooting ballista but I think it won't be a problem for you)
    Last edited by Achilla; May 24, 2009 at 04:26 PM.

Changed the smoke0.tga to other blabla.tga = no difference, deleted the whole line "texture battlefield/fire/smoke0.tga" = no difference.

Oh, and ballista shockwave effect is very nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast