Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Postumus et Celsus

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Postumus et Celsus

Senator if you take a close look at my proposal you will notice that these mercenaries will be replaced with other troops except for 3 units of mercenaries two in bononia and one in mediolanum. The troops that are in the cities in cisalpine gaul will be replaced with town watches. And the others that are superfluous will be send to the forts to upgrade there strength to protect the valley' s in a better way. Also it would mean the border guards will prevent gaul armies to cross the alps so that the same thing would repeat it's self what happened at bonoia.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; May 29, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

very well Consul, i disagree but not enough to argue about it, instead i propose a compromise, that the mercanaries are kept whilst we fully retrain the legions, and then disbanded.

Senator Crescentius, i have sympathy, as i can see why making Cis-Alpine Gaul a provience, but i also believe that it should remain under Latinum control.

Senators i would also like to raise a motion,

1 - i am granted 1000 denari.

2 - i use this money to persue trade agreements, and if possible maps - i will do this with as many as possible, but especially those to the east (our allies macedon & Egypt the historical suppler of grain for Rome).

3 - the money will be as small bribes to facilitate as favourable agreements as possible.

Of course senators i wil attempt to do this with as little cost to Rome as possible, any money that remains will be returned to the coffers

ooc; i haven't looked at the save game so i don't know if we have any diplomates or not - if so then the motion can be adjusted, but i would still like a little cash to help get those trade agreements
    Last edited by Raglan; May 29, 2009 at 05:06 PM.

ooc we have a diplomat there is a ship near carthage that has a diplomat in it. it needs to be moved to italie.

Retraining the legions would be a good idea but leaving the mercenaries because we want to retrain the legions won' t work. There are to few merc to keep every thing guarded but to many to not drain the treasury.

I will bring the motion to a vote.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; May 29, 2009 at 05:05 PM.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

ooc; okay i will revise my motion

Sextius addresses the Quaestor,

Quaestor Primus i would like you to prepare a report on our newly conquered cities in Cisalpine gaul. Find out what thy need, like roads ect. We should see if we could improve the economic and military struckture in these provinces.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I say we should build subjugatious in all of them, just know from past experience, that we need to assimilate the conquered people so they do not rebel from our rule.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

I believe we already started these projects senator Crescentius. But any how it is good to see some man still awake around here.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I share your feelings consul.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

ooc; are you allowed to start building work?

ic; i have already begun obtaining detailed reports, i will inform the senate once i have fully made my report and suggestions.

I feel at the moment that i may well focus on military establishments and infrastructure, this i feel will be useful near out northern boarder, of course this isn't set in stone and i will inform the senate upon compilation of my reports.

ooc if it passes vote it will be build by this years consuls (if it is before the new term) or by next years consuls.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

A letter from Sicily,

Senators of Rome,

It is my great pleasure to inform you that the traitorous city of Agrigentum has fallen into Roman control. Despite having virtually no army, they did not surrender their arms to our steel, so we besieged the city for a very short amount of time. Due to their cowardly crimes against Rome, I have decided that half of the population must be enslaved. A fit punishment and a reminder to our enemies to not challenge Roman arms.

For now, the city is in good conditions, but assimilation processes should begin as soon as the next term starts.

On other news, I was recently informed of an attack from pirates on a group of Roman transport boats. They were sunk and the crew is missing, very likely all dead. I have also had reports of several other sightings of pirate fleets on the waters around Sicily, mainly on the western waters of the island. I think perhaps commissioning the construction of the first of the 3 fleets authorized by the Senate some years ago could begin now to deal with those intruders. The ports of Sicily are more than ready to begin constructing ships, only money and authorization is needed.

I would also like to use this medium to congratulate our Consuls on their victory in the North. May the Gods bless all of you.

Proconsul Sp. Herrenius Pictor.
    Governor of Sicily.

Yes it seems like the situation on Sicilia is under control, so i don' t need to leave for the island after all. Sextius thought while examining the messenger.

Senators i will send a message to my colleague, telling him he can come to Rome again.

And how is the quaestors report coming along? Any news of it jet?
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I believe the Stabulum is nearly finished, am I right?
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

I have no idea senator Crescentius, this is why i would like to see a full report on the status of all Italian cities. Even the newly conquered once.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Quote Originally Posted by yaelthecruel View Post
    On other news, I was recently informed of an attack from pirates on a group of Roman transport boats. They were sunk and the crew is missing, very likely all dead.
    ooc: how would you know they were attacked by pirates if they were all dead?
    ooc2: I know, I know, 'ingame' and all, but still

ic: "Has the time finally come, senators? Can we rest on our laurels? No, we must look to our borders and look to all the lands within them.

Senators, making Cisalpine Gaul part of Italia defeats the entire purpose of the conquest of that territory. We took that territory to have an easily defensible natural border on the one hand and a buffer against foreign incursions in Italia on the other. If a Gallic of Thracian army should break through the limes it would still stand on soil that is not Italian, and therefore it would matter less what happens to it. We could implement all sorts of tactics that would be impossible to use in Italia, because it would cause Social outrage. We could scorch the earth, we could even let them take a city, without serious consequences to our war effort, whilst causing them to lose their impulse.

If these lands were made Italian, then any breach of the Alpine Limes would be as a breach of Rome's walls itself. Being an Italian ally is not a matter of territory and it is not a Right. It is a Privilege that is granted based partly on geographical location, partly on strategical considerations, partly on social matters and on historical similarities. The cities in Cisalpine Gaul are on this side of the Alps, but that is the only thing they share with us. They are socially and historically completely dissimilar from us, and as I have shown it could do us severe strategic harm to make them Italian.

Senators, be wise. Don't make Cisalpine Gaul part of Italia. It would diminish the ideal of being Italian and it would honour the Gauls who live there with something they do not deserve. Senators, be wise, say 'Nay' to this proposal. Let Cisalpine Gaul be Cisalpine Gaul."
    Last edited by Gaius Julius Civilis; June 01, 2009 at 11:21 AM.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

I totally agree with you colleague whole-heartedly.

Edit:-
    How do I write 39 in Latin? in digits I mean.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

ooc XXXIX i think.

IC

Senators i would like to propose a building project that will be paid by me out of my personal funds. I would like to start the construction of a Lare Martis here in Rome.

ooc i was thinking of using the add money cheat to set the extra budget that is needed to build the building (400 denarii in this case) and add it as a negatieve budget in my financials. So i would like to know if some of you tried using the money cheat in game to see if it will cause any problems later on.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

don't think it does.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Julius Civilis View Post
    ooc: how would you know they were attacked by pirates if they were all dead?
    Romans used telecomunications, remember?

IC:

A new letter from Sicily,

Senators of Rome,

It has come to my attention the fact that as of now Agrigentum is not technically part of Sicily, or, more specifically, not of the Roman province of Sicily. I think all of you would agree that Agrigentum should become part of the province, so I can actually begin to make use of the benefits of its land, and legally be able to use my proconsular powers on the region. I would like to ask you to approve this law:

I) The city of Agrigentum and all of the domains that were once part of her domains shall be annexed to the Roman province of Sicily.

I await for your response.

Proconsul Sp. Herrenius Pictor.
    Governor of Sicily.

Turnus sets down the letter.

Senators, I think it is without question that Agrigenteum is a city on Sicily proper and that no law, save the law of common sense, is needed to incorporate this city into the province.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.