Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Postumus et Celsus

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Postumus et Celsus

"Very well, I shall leave then. Await my reports, Senators. May the Gods help us all!"

He slowly turned on his heels and bowed towards every side of the House. Then, he strode out of the Curia gracefully, after Herrenius. He walked home, and prepared to leave.

OOC: I'll fight tomorrow - just too late for me to command armies now... Await a report about 16 hours later.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Senators, do we not need to vote on the budget - Pictor has just left for Sicily but he has not been granted any money yet!

OOC: XD damn I forgot...I'll edit my previous post

Be that he may not have left with money yet, protocols must be observed. A budget that is not approved is an illegal budget. Will one of the consuls move the budget to a vote?

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

A budget that is not approved is an illegal budget.
    "That it is."

For the first time, Kaeso Cornelius Dolabella spoke up in the Curia.

"So far, I've seen this governing body discuss construction projects and the mass spending of taxes in a giddy way. Personally, I have a problem with that. While I have no objections to the sizes of the proposed budgets for each promagistrate, I will point out that the taxes we collect from our citizens must not be blown away all at once. It's important that we conserve our profits and have ample amounts of cash ready for use if an emergency arises.

For now, we have to concentrate our energies and resources on battling the Gauls. This campaign is our first priority right now. When this event is over and the spoils are added to our treasury, we should improve the infrastructure throughout Italy and the provinces. I trust Quaestor Marcellinus when he says that we have enough resources to build a new highway and a few campuses and still have enough money to fund the war, but we shouldn't be so eager to spend away our surplus.

Conserve our funds and put them to good use after the war; that's what I say."

Dolabella then sits down and awaits a response from his colleagues.
    Last edited by B-rad; May 18, 2009 at 09:22 PM.

I must oppose what you say. There are several reasons. Allow me to iterate a few of them.

I have seen the amount of economic progress this house has hindered in the past. In fact, much of what I have proposed last year in the economic bill, which was passed by this house, mind you all, has been largely ignored. The sinus that Quaestor Primus has proposed was planned for future construction LAST term, along with a host of training grounds that would bolster our Italian forces. Evidently, those projects were deemed... nonessential, and as a result, swept under the tiles while we drew a blind eye. I wonder what other projects, projects that were meant to FORTIFY Italy, befell the same treatment.

Our taxes will do nothing if we just let them sit and accumulate. If we begin to invest them, to construct buildings that will aid us, they will be spent wisely. Far more wisely than if we were to spend them on frivolous things like stadiums.

Quaestor Primus has done a fine job, both at outlining a simple budget that even the most obtuse man cannot blunder upon, as well as bringing past faults to light.

But no matter, we have a fresh budget to vote upon, and I suggest the consuls put this to a vote IMMEDIATELY and once it has passed, ENACT it.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

A skinny old scribe, who had been taking notes on a desk in a corner, looked at the senator a little confused. Intrigued, he then proceeded to look in some of his recent writings, and made a quick search. Pulling out a parchment, he opened it in his table, and moving his long wrinkly fingers over the text, displacing it downwards, he read the whole text. A little excited, he raised his hand, asking for the word for a moment.

"Great Senators of Rome", he said, bowing.

"Excuse my interruption on your so important matters of State, but I have seen a mistake in a statement expressed recently, which I think could be reason for future misunderstandings."

He then turned towards senator Saevus.

"Our great Censor, Rutulus Saevus, has accidentally misquoted one of the recent laws passed in these Halls, stating that the construction of a sinus that has been proposed by our Quaestor of the year, was already set for construction previously. Confused by this statement, I looked into the law, which I found quickly, being one of the most recent laws passed. In it, it is never stated that the construction of a sinus will take place in Paestum, but rather in the city of Corfinum, the possible reason for the mistake a confusion between the two cities.

I have read the law on it's entirety and have not found a single construction project on either Paestum, nor in Rome, the 2 cities the Quaestor has mentioned in his construction plan.

I. Construction of Faber and Rus in Ancona.
    II. Construction of Colonorum Deductio, Faber, and Via Strata in Ariminium
    III. Construction of Colonorum Deductio, Faber, Via Strata, and Basilica in Arretium
    IV. Finish Construction of Villa Proconsularis and begin construction of Campus Iaculorum and Portus Classicus in Capua
    V. Construction of Campus Iaculorum, Sinus, and Colonorum Deductio in Corfinium
    VI. Construction of Via Principalis and Societas in Tarentum
    VII. Construction of Mines, Colonorum Deductio, and Basilica in Croton
    VIII. Construction of Governor's Villa in Rhegium
    I am sure this confusion could cause controversy and raise questions on the fulfillment of the job of certain magistrates, which is why I believe it is my duty as a scribe of the Curia to point it out.

Again, please excuse my interruption, and by all means proceed with the session.
    Last edited by Ozy; May 19, 2009 at 12:42 AM.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

I think we are large enough to focus both on the war in the north while not necessarily halting public life in the south. The North - that is: everything above Rome - must absolutely focus on the war, they must produce and build to support the Consular armies in the field. And while the South must definitely be aware of the war - after all, they must be ready if the Gauls break through, but I believe they can safely be dedicated to trade or craftsmanship or whatever resource there is in the area. We can fight this war and develop Italia, we can have our cake and eat it too, so to speak.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

indeed, the north is all ready being developed after Saevus' last term, i actually propose very little, it just covers some of the small holes and keeps plenty of funds available for the war. There are ample funds availiable for both and very little will need to be spent for some years to come if this is approved.

i thank senator Dolbella for his concerns and agree that the war should be our priority, but the small building works i have proposed divert little away from the war - and will in time allow Rome to be much more effective in war - the staulum is something that Rome is in need of at the moment.

Consols i agree i have heard little discusion as to changing the budget, and only one nay-sayer, it should be put to a vote

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Senators. I have tied in the election with young Ahenobarbus, yet he is granted the Propraetorship. I seek redress and action from the presiding Consuls on this matter.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Tiberius rises and begins to speak.

"I agree on the plan the the North would be dedicated to war and the South would dedicated to economic actions. We are strong enough, as senator Falco said, to support a war and constructions. We must crush the Gauls in the North as soon as possible as the war places us in a position where we have to be cautious in everything we do. I recommend a fast war that would give us moment of surprise. Although it would be costly for a few months, it would pay off later with great benefits."

Tiberius finishes and sits down again.

O Sancta Simplicitas!

A messenger brings in a small piece of paper from the Consul. A short letter was scribbled down on it with haste.
    Senators! I have met the army of Gauls just outside the walls of Arretium. Next morning however, they had disappeared, leaving nothing but tracks leading further into Cisalpine Gaul. What I can do now, is wait here, until my college reaches the Emergency Army and leads it on Bononia, or I myself may ride to it's lead. Otherwise, we can all wait here and see whatever happens... Tell my messenger what is your wish.

Send scouts up ahead to survey the paths, this will make it easier to take on the enemy.

Crusades

The messenger looked around searching for the place he heard the Senator speak.

"Senator, Celsus's scouts have reported that the Gauls retreated next to another of their armies, all together not half of the Ist Consular Army. Everything else is the same as it has been."

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

If these reports are true it might be best for me to leave to my legion as well. This way Celsus and i could combined our forces to fight them.

But before i leave i would like to propose an other motion that is of even greater importance.

I. Consuls will be granted the right to recruit town watches in the newly conquered cities in cisalpine gaul.

II. If the senate does n' t approve of this thy should immediate start the recruitment of 10 town watches to be send to the consuls who will equal devide them to be left in the captured cities.

III. Consuls will be granted a budget of 5000 Denarii each to recruit mercenaries to support there legions if thy seem to weak to make progress. This to keep on pushing to our end goal.

Also i would like to ask to take up a budget to build the fleet on wish we voted last year. (here)

I wish to ask the senate to vote on these matters as soon as possible even without a lasting debate.

I would also like to ask the senate to grant me the right to leave Rome and join my legion and Celsus to discuss battle plan.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; May 19, 2009 at 03:27 PM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fergusmck View Post
    Senators. I have tied in the election with young Ahenobarbus, yet he is granted the Propraetorship. I seek redress and action from the presiding Consuls on this matter.
    ooc Yes you did but Ahenobarbus has spend some money on post graffiti. So he would gain some favour if i am not mistaken. The problem is Xavier is not able to add in favour only senior mods can changes the polls.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

OOC: Umm, 1000 denarii is nothing, a unit of italian cavalry costs 3100, so... I'll give you the save, then. Take Bononia and then I guess return it for me for the next turn. There I'll hope to defeat the armies of Gaul.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Quote Originally Posted by fergusmck View Post
    OOC: Yeah Hesus is right. I tried to contact Kal to do the public favour, cos though he can't change the polls either, he at least knows the system, whereas I don't, but I apparently didn't manage to get through to him. If you wish, I could get him to do it properly, and see if you still tie with me (which would be a runoff election).

Senators i do ask you with some urgents to give me your blessing to depart to my legion and to vote on the motion and decide that we will be granted the right to recruit garrisons or that Rome it self will provide them as stated in the motion.

I would also like to bring to the senates attention that there is a large amount of troops stationed in Olbia on Sardinia. Thy should get repatriated to Italie for replenishment. And combined with the senatorial legions to support them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elendil of Númenor View Post
    OOC: Umm, 1000 denarii is nothing, a unit of italian cavalry costs 3100, so... I'll give you the save, then. Take Bononia and then I guess return it for me for the next turn. There I'll hope to defeat the armies of Gaul.
    I changed it to 5000.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; May 19, 2009 at 03:28 PM.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

"Well, Consul Postumus, if you feel that Sardinia has been pacified enough and the new garrison is fully able to repel invasions or stop potential uprisings, then I'd support bringing the other maniples back to Italy. I'm asking for your opinion since you know better than I when it comes to military matters."

Dolabella nodded at Postumus.

"Now, concerning that motion you brought up..."

I. Consuls will be granted the right to recruit town watches in the newly conquered cities in cisalpine gaul.

II. If the senate does n' t approve of this thy should immediate start the recruitment of 10 town watches to be send to the consuls who will equal devide them to be left in the captured cities.

III. Consuls will be granted a budget of 5000 Denarii each to recruit mercenaries to support there legions if thy seem to weak to make progress. This to keep on pushing to our end goal.

Also i would like to ask to take up a budget to build the fleet on wish we voted last year. (here)

I wish to ask the senate to vote on these matters as soon as possible even without a lasting debate.

I would also like to ask the senate to grant me the right to leave Rome and join my legion and Celsus to discuss battle plan.
    (ooc: I highlighted the parts that Dolabella has issues with.)

"I would never be against sending military colonists to conquered territories. Our language, customs, and culture must be spread around, and small portions of the land we take can be given to the Capite Censi.

It is the spending that I still have a problem with. Ten thousand denarii to be spent on mercenaries? Why would we hire bands of disloyal, rowdy men to fight under our banners when we can rout the Celts with true Roman citizens? Not only would more maniples be effective than unorganized groups of barely-trained "soldiers", but we must have our armies composed of Roman citizens and our Italian allies.

Rome is fighting this war, and that must be reflected through the use of Romans in our consular legions. I want to see Romans plant flags of victory in Celtic towns after we secure them, not greedy barbarian and Greek mercenaries.

And, for Jupiter's sake, save the construction of a fleet 'till after this war is over..."
    Last edited by B-rad; May 19, 2009 at 07:00 PM.