Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Postumus et Celsus

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Postumus et Celsus

Wise words spoken by our senator Saevus. I support this and don' t think we should vote on it. It is nothing but logic that we incorporate the city in the province as its lies on the same island.

At the same time as Sextius is talking to the senators a messenger enters the Curia. He brings word of what is happening in Cisalpine Gaul.

To the Senate of Rome,

Senators i bring you word of Cisalpine Gaul. One of the forts has been besieged by an army of Gauls there are few of them but the scouts reported that a second army is approaching them to lean them assistence in the siege. Other reports tell us that a large gallic army and a smaller supporting army is near by the fort that is close to the city of Genua.

Senators with the department of Consul Celsus to Rome we have no supreme commander, we fair that we can not hold them back with out proper men to lead the legions. I would like to ask you to search for Consul Celsus and send him back to the legions or if this will take to much time send forward Consul Postumus.

Lucius Domitius Cassianus, Officer of the Roman legions.
    ooc here is the situation on the campaign map.

Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; June 01, 2009 at 10:15 AM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Off you go consul to defend the border. THATs why I wanted it to be a seperate province, it takes some time to get from here to Cisalpine gaul whilst a governor can move to the spot of trouble in a small amount of time.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

OOC: Umm, who should go? I'm on the road to Rome, so it would be logical for me to turn back.

ooc: It would have been logical that you were the one bringing us the news, because they would have reached you first.

ic:

A new letter from Herrenius,

Senators of Rome,

I have heard word about my request on voting to add the city of Agrigentum to the province of Sicily. I am sure that it is only logical to add the city to the province, but I think also that adding a territory to a province without at least consulting with the senate could lead to abuse of power. However, seeing that you are opposed to letting it vote, I suppose that vote should hve been skept anyways.

The other reason for this letter is my budget. Having a new city in the island adds to the expenses of my province, and because of that, I wished to ask for an additional amount of money, primarily to begin the needed processes in Agrigentum as soon a possible. I had before expressed that such constructions could begin next year, but I now think that the year is not that near from being over, and it might be a better idea to begin now (ooc: I thought the year was gonna be over today, but it will last an other week). The quantity I request is 1500, suficient to begin the first constructions in Agrigentum. May the gods bless you all.

Proconsul Sp. Herrenius Pictor.
    Governor of Sicily.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Forgive my absence senators. The Consul asked for a report and i have been busy assembling it.

First of all let me account on Latium proper.

The building works are progressing nicely in many places, and have finished in some. The only places worth mentioning are to the south.

Firstly their in Rhegium, which is reasonably well developed, but is seriusly lacking in terms of sanitation - a Cloaca would be well worth the investment.

Then their is Paestum - which is finished in its constructions. The only falt i can find their is their continued payments of hardly any taxes - a motion that previously failed due to my lack of detail. They pay less tax than Roma and i still feel that they are not only capable of paying the same but should (note that this would involve raising their taxes from low to normal - which is what most of the cities are paying)

Anacona will finish their developments by about the same time as the elections (1 turn left), but i feel is sufficiently well developed that saving the money would be best.

And finally their is Roma itself - finished with the Stabulam, and again in good affairs - but i confess my heart lies in Roma - and thus i always wish to improve her, so i believe a Acadamy would be a useful building, it would serve to help make Romans better educated. Something that in itself is a worthy goal.

Now Senators for my reports on the North. The newly conquered cities are disgusting, smelly places, awash with Barbarian scum. I now have much greater symphaty for senators Crescentius and Falco's sentiments that it should not be considered Roman.

Genoa is a small place, hardly worth mentioning - little is going on their - however the consuls have begun the process of latinising them (this is a building, but i'm unsure of how to reference to it in character), something that wasn't agreed upon by the Senate - i personally have no problem with it, the sooner they leave their barbaric ways behind the better, but i feel it should be mentioned.
    as it is somewhat out of the way, perhaps a via (roads) would be of use?

Mediolanium is not much better, but is worth noticing as it is a little larger. It is also the closest settlement to the passes through the Alps and for this reason a Traba Vallum (wooden wall) would be a good idea - it would slow the gauls down if ever - Gods forbid - they do get past the forts established by the Consuls.
    The Process of Latinising is also occuring here.

Patavium is somewhat simular to Mediolum, but guards the more open passes to the east. Again the process of Latination has been started, and again i think that a Traba Vallum would be of best use.

Finally their is Bolonia (i thought i'd taken a tga of it but...), the small village that was a focal point of the war. This is fairly central to the area, and seems to be the best place for a regroup point - so again i will reckonmend a Traba Vallum - it's use a a future Consul will hopefully not be needed, but better safe than sorry.

Also senators i would like to remind you of the motion i made earlier about seeking trade agreements. (as that ship got sunk, Rome has NO diplomats, so the bill needs voting on and rectifing before i can recruit one and start looking for some trade agreements)

ooc; sorry this has taken so long to appear but i've been real busy with exams, they are ongoing for the next 3 weeks so i may be a little less regular - hence my descision to try for ponifix maximus, rather than Preator.

ooc thy took a different road.

The following motion has been brought to us for discussion. Senators start the debate.

I. The city of Agrigentum shall be put under control of the Proconsul, it shall be absorbed in to the Province of Sicilia.

II. The proconsul shall be granted an amount of 1500 Denarii.

As for our quaestor could you make a list of buildings that you would like to construct with the prise thy will cost us.

ooc make a list of building types to be constructed, name of the city where it should be build. If your still planning to rais the taxes in one or more of the cities include this as well. Don' t forget to state on what level you want it to be.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; June 01, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

"Senators!" said a voice. Everyone looked around, to see the messenger from the North still standing in the House. "Senators! It is not only this. I have met with Consul Celsus on the road and he sends a message also." The man took out a second letter.

Senators!

All is not well. I have been caught in a huge snowstorm at the foot of the Apennines, and my small convoy cannot get through the deep snow. When I have heard of the news in Gaul, I decided to immediately turn around. The fact hit me: we can not defend the lands beyond the Rubicon from Rome. The Alps are just too far away, and imagine if a whole army would have to march across the land. And if a storm like this strikes? News won't even reach us until Arretium itself falls! Gaul is filled with thousands upon thousands of warriors, and our line of forts cannot hope to stand against such a tide. And if they are besieged with such great fury, we won't have time to send a general. And buy the time he arrives in the North, the land shall already be overrun. Where then do we turn? The Thracians? They cannot wait for their Gallic Allies to break through our walls. The Greeks? They fear to attack us, but would do so at any moment if they see our defences wavering.

Dear Senate of Rome. I know your fears, your opinions, your thoughts but... you must understand: Italian Gaul
    must be made a separate Province, either under the rule of a Pro-Praetor or a Pro-Consul. Only then can we hope to defend it, to hold it efficiently. Believe me, I have seen the terrors of the North, faced more armies here then any man would wish to face. I know what hell lies beyond the Mountains. If you are wise, Senators, then do as I ask, no, beg you! Incorporate every land between the Alps and the Rubicon into the Province of Italian Gaul.
    Also, if you do this, I would offer you that I be appointed as emergency governor of the Province. For months, a year, as long as the crisis settles.
    And as a note: The only difference between Italian Gaul Province, and all other Provinces would be, that the governor of this Province would be restricted to the lands inside his Province - he would be forbidden to cross the Alps or begin conquest in any direction.

I ask you to choose wisely, our Republic's safety depends upon your decision.

May the Gods be with you,

Marcvs Ivlivs Celsvs,
    Consvl of Rome
    Last edited by Elendil of Númenor; June 01, 2009 at 02:20 PM.

Another Senator sees the light. Excellent.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

My point exactly. I am sorry my previous speech seemed somewhat garbled, but that was exactly what I meant.

ooc: Frigging ancient comp with frigging Windows 98, it messed my beautifully constructed post up completely.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

We are undermanned as it is. For the next election, we have no praetor candidates. With our senators being pulled to serve governorship in far off provinces, there's no chance of even filling the necessary offices in Rome. What's more, there's rumors that Scipio has just passed away, taking a stout pillar of Roman virtue as well as an able man who can fill an office of the Republic.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

And that is why our most enlightened ancestors insisted that a promagistrate always command two provinces, that would cut the number of men sent abroad in half!
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

And our most enlightened ancestors insisted as well that Italie should stay under senatorial command. Cisalpine Gaul is part of Italie and there for it should not become a province.

Because our infrastructure we are able to move armies and consuls to Cisalpine gaul very fast. Within two day' s thy will be in place.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator