Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolls and Mumakils and Ents oh my! Mini-Mod 1.2 compatiable

BanditKS's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Trolls and Mumakils and Ents oh my! Mini-Mod 1.2 compatiable

I love the mod and the balance and how the devs made it.

however i think to make the people happy on both sides there is a simple and easy fix. leave the general game the same and come out with two mini-mods one cutting back on the strength of trolls the other doing the same to the mumakil and Ents. Or at least a tutorial on how to change the stats. all the people who want trolls to be a little less insane can download the mod all of you who like the game how it is can keep on playing it.

There a simple fix that makes everyone happy! all the threads that talk about how overpowered the trolls/mumakil/Ent are can be closed with a link to the mini-mod.

-UPDATE#1-
    With JonSnow's quick run though on the script i will be changing up the Troll and Mumakil stats to add more choice for you players I will make two versions of each. a JonSnow version and my version. I will be testing these two types out today and see how each work out.

-UPDATE#2-
    Alright got the script changed and in two different versions.

Mine: I cut the trolls down by about 50% on attack and defense however i leave the health the same as before. they still can kill hundreds of units.

JonSnow: He had a great idea of increasing the time between swings and doing a touch of editing to the health and other parts of their stats and now that is up and running as well! they do have armor piercing but don't worry.

there we go two versions putting them up now.

-UPDATE#4-

1.2 compatible and edited Ents 50% cut as well

Downloads

50% decrease on attack and defense version!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2437

Install:
    take the file you downloaded and where ever you put your medieval game\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age\data
    and you can do one of two things find the file with the same name and rename it so you have an original copy or just replace it.
    1.2 compatible and save game compatible

Decease in health by 1 and attack speed slowed slightly.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2438
    Last edited by BanditKS; August 28, 2009 at 12:51 PM.

Default Re: Trolls/Mumakil compromise for both sides.

It's the EDU file (export_descr_unit) located under TATW(or whatever you have it named)/data. Just search "trolls" and edit the stat_pri for less damage
    stat_pri_armor for armor,defense skill, shield (IN THAT ORDER)
    stat_health for their health (I suggest nothing under 4)

Also read the top of the EDU for even more changes you can make.. but in all honesty I suggest dling RC

If i was going to do it i was just going to cut the attack and health in half so that doesn't even bring them below 10 health. Also RC? real combat? isn't that going to be added to the mod in future versions?
    hmm looking at it now it looks like they have 6 health might as well keep that the same... eh i will just down their armor 50% and see what happens? what do you suggest to help the people who want trolls a little less "OP"
    what is the second stat_pri_armour for? upgrades?
    stat_pri_armour 10, 22, 0, flesh
    ;stat_pri_armour 15, 20, 0, flesh
    Last edited by BanditKS; May 18, 2009 at 01:05 PM.

Mine are stat_pri_armor 5, 22, 0 with 5 HP (mountain trolls)
    and damage is..
    stat_pri 36, 12, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, blunt, mace, 60, 1
    stat_pri_attr area, launching, ap

EDIT: with these stats they're still going to kill tons of units, but seeing as they cost so much for like 12 it's really the lowest you can go within reason.

hmm allright,
    what dose that last 60 do?
    stat_pri 36, 12, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, blunt, mace, 60, 1
    and ap?
    stat_pri_attr area, launching, ap

i dont have the 60 its set to 0 and i dont have the ap.

The 60 is extra delay before each attack, about a seconds worth (not even though sometimes). And the ap is armor piercing. Which will make them stronger against armored opponents, but I wouldn't be too worried, they go down easily to arrows.

Alright i see so keep close to what they have in stats just cut back on the attack speed. that lowers their damage per second. thats not a bad idea really.

Update on the first post.
    Last edited by BanditKS; May 18, 2009 at 04:17 PM.

SirPeacemaker's Avatar Centenarius

Ok guys. And what file am I supposed to replace? There is no Troll txt file in TATW data folder.
    Very good rocking song. The message of the song: WHEN PEOPLE LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UKRAINIAN WAR, THEY WILL GO INSANE!! (I suggest to turn the english subtitles on. Its over 18only because of violent pictures) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAR6nUV7VI

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by SirPeacemaker View Post
    Ok guys. And what file am I supposed to replace? There is no Troll txt file in TATW data folder.
    u have to rename it to 'export_descr_unit' ....but i think if u r using RC or/and additional unit mod then u have to manually change the stats for trolls

Thanks for the advice. I am using only 1.1 patch and nothing more. No RC (real combat) mod or any additional submods.
    Very good rocking song. The message of the song: WHEN PEOPLE LEARN TRUTH ABOUT UKRAINIAN WAR, THEY WILL GO INSANE!! (I suggest to turn the english subtitles on. Its over 18only because of violent pictures) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAR6nUV7VI

Decanus

then just rename it n u r good to go

People should learn how to fights these beasts, rather than nerfing them to death.
    Mūmakil are already underpowered (compared to their costs, I know they're strong). This won't balance a thing, it makes the game easier as being a good guy. And how about you turn down the AI if it's all too hard (I play my campaign on H/H for a reason).

P.S. This wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but more towards everyone whining about trolls (or Mūmakil, if those exist)
    Gameplay > tiny little things

Quote Originally Posted by lennartje View Post
    People should learn how to fights these beasts, rather than nerfing them to death.
    Mūmakil are already underpowered (compared to their costs, I know they're strong). This won't balance a thing, it makes the game easier as being a good guy. And how about you turn down the AI if it's all too hard (I play my campaign on H/H for a reason).

P.S. This wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but more towards everyone whining about trolls (or Mūmakil, if those exist)
    Well i made this mod just as an option for people who do think the trolls and mumakil are overpowered. people who dont want the 50% cut dont have to download the mini-mod. I really made this mod just to help close down the many threads about trolls and mumakil.

there are tricks to kill trolls but still i wanted to provide the option to anyone that is having problems or not having fun and thats what this mod is all about.

I know you're only wanting to do good, and my post wasn't pointed towards you (unless you're a whiner too )

I'm just getting a bit tired of people going like "Geez, these trolls don't go down in 5 seconds, like the Orcs do!". Orcs are crappy as hell, they'll rout whenever they get the chance.
    If you ask a person who knows LOTR, to describe a troll, they'll say they're damn scary and powerful. Faithful to the lore as the devs are, they made trolls strong. Very strong. And that's exactly how they should be.
    Trolls are quite strong, they can be stronger than other 1500 gold equivalent, but trolls have a very low unit pool. 2 trolls in 20 turns. You can create quite some other units in that time, to counter them.
    And you might not succeed with the tactics you're used to. But what are we? Old people complaining about everything that changes? Go play some custom battles, try how to beat them! When you've downed those mighty trolls, you'll feel ever mightier. They are a challenge, and that is one of the things that make TA:TW great. It isn't just a reskin of vanilla, no, it's different. Trade the large groups of knights in for small groups of powerful trolls. They're hard, but not unbeatable.

But people don't seem to listen, so I guess I should quit trying to convince everyone... But I can't, so as long as there're people complaining about trolls (w/o some decent backup), I'll be here, reposting all this everythime, until everyone finally sees how beautiful trolls are.
    Gameplay > tiny little things

I know you weren't aiming that at anyone specific.

I understand your point of view and they are quite the challenge. Once they hit the battlefield tactics need to change or at least adapt to the new threat. you are combating the "OP Troll" threads by trying to convince everyone that this is a challenge meant to be met and overcome not curcumvented by anything.
    my way of combating the many many "OP Troll" threads is to give them a mini-mod so they are happy and those who like the challenge are happy as well because the devs didn't have to give into the views of some and nerf the trolls,

Hmm. Yes, Trolls are supposed to be very strong. But problem is, it“s too many of them in this game. But anyway. I will wait with using of this submod. For now

Quote Originally Posted by SirPeacemaker View Post
    Hmm. Yes, Trolls are supposed to be very strong. But problem is, it“s too many of them in this game. But anyway. I will wait with using of this submod. For now
    Alright, I have heard that Mordor at some point just spams out full stacks of armored trolls. I don't believe that's a challenge i consider that cheating. also i don't consider that fun at all being its unimaginative and a "easy mode" button for the comp to use.

My ten stars general at East Osgiliath walls lost to the 100 trolls so easily.1200 man die.I have very experienced units .Gondor archer Gondor swordsman and spearman....It was like massacre.I know that trolls supposed to be a mighty but it is a good solution to lower their stats.

I playing this battle so many times ca.20.I do anything to stop this trolls but it is not possible.I kill enemy general so many times but trolls are unstoppable with huge morale.I try so many solution .My record was 50 trolls but when I put group of sticks at the streets all and use archers with flaming arrow with solider assists at front archer at behind..

Playing VH/VH

It is good idea to lower troll stats.AI send against me armies with 100 200 trolls.
    Last edited by Ponti; May 23, 2009 at 12:13 PM.

I am glad my mini-mod could be of service to you to help your Gondor Campaign.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast