Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Fight Club

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Friends,
    Garbarsardar woke in a slightly odd mood today and he wants to pick a fight with you. Any of you.

So I’m starting this thread, in order to examine and replicate historical arguments, like say Galileo vs Inquisition, or the hawks vs the doves during the Cuban Missile crisis.

There are some rules:
    1.Any Civis can throw a glove and call a fight.(=caller)
    2.Any Civis can pick up the glove by post or pm.
    3.Peronal challenge IS permitted. If you are challenged you have to fight.(or give a jolly good excuse)
    3.The caller should provide accessible reference material before the fight.
    4.The fight should replicate an argument that happened or could happen in a historical context. Sauron vs Darth Vader is out of the question.
    5.The argument will last for a predefined number of posts, that cannot be more than 30 in total and will be arranged between the opponents.
    6.No arguments are valid in the fight, if deriving from foreknowledge of historical events.
    7.Personal insults and any form of intimidation of the opponent are permitted , IF those are historically accurate: the inquisition can threaten Galileo, but Galileo cannot use any threat or expletives towards the inquisitor.
    8.It is strongly recommended that the caller chooses the side of the argument, he/she is NOT comfortable with. It is just business not personal.
    9.After a challenge has been initiated, a poll will be opened so the Members can decide on the winner. The poll will stay open for 72 hours, after this both the fight and the poll thread will be closed and an anouncment will be added to this thread.
    108.All posts pertinent to a fight should be clearly headed with the number of the fight and the subject.
    11.And as in the original...(thanks Slythis) ONE fight at the time.The series will be defined on a first come first punched basis by PM or post.
    12. Both fighters will enjoy glory eternal in the Fight Club. Awards consisted of virgins and large baskets of exotic fruits are out of the question.

And lo! I throw the first glove to my esteemed patron Profler. I challenge him to defend the position of Bartolomeo de las Casas, while I, will support the arguments of Juan Ginés de Sepúlveda, on the status and rights of American Indians in 1550.
    Profler, to you!

Fight one. Las Casas vs Sepulveda

References: http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~epf/2001/hernandez.html
    http://www.college.emory.edu/culpepe...burgos-ts.html
    http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/maxpages/...LasCasas2.html
    Last edited by Garbarsardar; September 27, 2005 at 09:24 PM.

Hehe, bloody marvelous idea. Perhaps it can unwind all those uptight arses from the bitterlong Islam - anti-Islam fights that have been going on here recently. :grin

You have been very clear, but to take away the last possibility of misunderstanding, just one small question: you are not allowed to use information that is nowadays known as a fact, but which was still unknown back in those days (and vice versa of course)? It might sound like a silly question, but if we're going to do this, I think we should tighten up the rules as much as possible, to prevent contestors from bypassing the rules.

Also, how will be decided who wins the argument?

you are right on this, that is exactly what I meant. please, if you want rephrase the rule and I'll copy paste it in my post. (english is not my first language... :blush )

as to how the winner is decided....when I finish off Profler the Indian lover, there will be no doubt about this.
    seriously now, I hope that in some cases one will concede defeat (in avery few cases actually-if any), and the final judgement relies on the consciousness of the Cives.

That said any feasible idea and I'm all for it!
    thanks

Profler's Avatar Shaving Kit

As the wider community will have seen, staff are currently rather preoccupied, so I cannot at this moment pick up the glove. However, even were another civitates with more immediate spare time to pick up the glove, I have every intention of meeting this challenge once other duties no longer require as much of my attention.
    In patronicvm svb wilpuri
    Patronvm celcvm qvo Garbarsardar et NStarun

The Bottle of France has been lost, the Bottle of Britain has just begun...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Mr. Speaker, do you approve of donuts?" - Hon Eric Forth MP (deceased)
    "You might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment" - Rt Hon Francis Urquhart MP

We are all aware of the priorities now. This thread is open to all challenges. Do not worry Profler. I can even fight myself to defend your honour. *wink*

i cant wait to do this
    He that will not reason is a bigot, He that cannot reason is a fool, He that dares not reason is a slave.

Any time Boris. And do not forget.Timing is very important.In the fight club.So do not delay your challenge because you will find yourself way back in the order of battle.
    Take care.
    Garb.

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Default Lord Tomyris reflects bitterly

Time. What is time but an abstract concept invented by man? In reality, time does not exist. It stands merely as a barrier between birth and death.

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

No, that isn't a banana

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tomyris
    Time. What is time but an abstract concept invented by man? In reality, time does not exist. It stands merely as a barrier between birth and death.

Tell that to my wife!

Friends Romans countrymen. After an unforseen and considerable delay, FIGHT CLUB will commence in the following weekend.
    Announcing: Fight one.

Garbasardar vs imb39 (trumpets)
    Replicating the arguments of Sepulveda vs De Las Casas (fewer trumpets)

The fight will begin sometime friday. A new thred with the first fight and a poll will be posted so the audience can vote for the winner(the winner will be granted eternal glory, 40 virgins and a bowl of rice).
    This thread can now be used for the issue of new challenges according to the rules (below), and comments.

Garb.

1.Any Civis can throw a glove and call a fight.(=caller)
    2.Any Civis can pick up the glove by post or pm.
    3.Peronal challenge IS permitted. If you are challenged you have to fight.(or give a jolly good excuse)
    3.The caller should provide accessible reference material before the fight.
    4.The fight should replicate an argument that happened or could happen in a historical context. Sauron vs Darth Vader is out of the question.
    5.The argument will last for a predefined number of posts, that cannot be more than 30 in total and will be arranged between the opponents.
    6.No arguments are valid in the fight, if deriving from foreknowledge of historical events.
    7.Personal insults and any form of intimidation of the opponent are permitted , IF those are historically accurate: the inquisition can threaten Galileo, but Galileo cannot use any threat or expletives towards the inquisitor.
    8.It is strongly recommended that the caller chooses the side of the argument, he/she is NOT comfortable with. It is just business not personal.
    9.After a challenge has been initiated, a poll will be opened so the Members can decide on the winner. The poll will stay open for 72 hours, after this both the fight and the poll thread will be closed and an anouncment will be added to this thread.
    108.All posts pertinent to a fight should be clearly headed with the number of the fight and the subject.
    11.And as in the original...(thanks Slythis) ONE fight at the time.The series will be defined on a first come first punched basis by PM or post.
    12. Both fighters will enjoy glory eternal in the Fight Club. Awards consisted of virgins and large baskets of exotic fruits are out of the question.

Fight one. Las Casas vs Sepulveda

References: http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~epf/2001/hernandez.html
    http://www.college.emory.edu/culpep.../burgos-ts.html
    http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/maxpages.../LasCasas2.html
    Last edited by Garbarsardar; September 27, 2005 at 09:24 PM.

I want to see blood! I want to bathe in their blood! I want to bathe in their blood for a week!

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Sulla's Avatar Sulla

I want to see blood! I want to bathe in their blood! I want to bathe in their blood for a week!
    Hmmm! OK then.... There are people who can help you . You've been watching too much of that HBO Rome series now haven't you .

Under the Patronage of the noble Senatorii Wild Bill Kelso
    Brother Of Necrobrit, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran and Oldgamer
    Patron of the Senatorii cunobelin & the CivitateLegio XX Valeria Victrix

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla
    Hmmm! OK then.... There are people who can help you . You've been watching too much of that HBO Rome series now haven't you .
    It's one of the general speeches in R:TW.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

I think, now is the right time to declare my Christianity and eternal love for my Lord... I get the impression that I am the sacrificial lamb that inaugorates the festivities.

Don't expect an even fight. I shall be gentle with Garbarsardar...

Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Garb
    7.After a challenge has been initiated or a fight has been decided, it will be added to the end of this thread and the corresponding posts deleted.
    I do not understand this part. What post will be deleted after the fight? This one?
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

I guess seven is redundant now; At the time I haven't thought of having a diffrent thread for the Fight and The poll.I will amend it now.
    Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by garb
    What happen to the fourty virgins?!

So here are some suggestions for future arguments;

-Galileo and the Inquisition, ofcourse!
    -Spartacus and his soldiers arguing about wether they should march north, or wether they should turn back and plunder more. (?)
    -Alexander and his soldiers arguing about wether they should keep on expanding beyong India. (?0
    -Hannibal and Scipio, as Hannibal tries to gain peace before the battle at Zama. (?)
    -Socrates against _____ (the guy who accused him of corrupting the youth of Athens, and of being an athest). (?)
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

{nF}remix's Avatar Wii will change gaming

Heres a good 1 :

Hannibal vs Numidian Cavalry Captain on whether they should pursue the Roman Army after their annihalation at Cannae.

Hence the quote : "Hannibal knows how to achieve Victories, but not use them" ...or something like that..

Quote Originally Posted by {nF}remix
    Heres a good 1 :

Hannibal vs Numidian Cavalry Captain on whether they should pursue the Roman Army after their annihalation at Cannae.

Hence the quote : "Hannibal knows how to achieve Victories, but not use them" ...or something like that..
    Yep, but you have to throw the glove to somebody...

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Surely there is a way to generally throw the glove onto the ground and see who picks it up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast