Thread: - Official 'Ask Questions About TATW 1.0 - 3.2 Here' Thread -

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: - Official 'Ask Questions About TATW 1.0 - 3.1 Here' Thread -

In theory
    kill_character <character_name> : kills a character with the given name

But you can also tie her down with Fountain Guard & Dismounted Swan Knights, then charge her with Swan Knigths repeatedly or shoot her with siege engines in the same situation. You WILL take casualties against Shelob, but she can be taken down. Just never autoresolve. And if you do, use the auto_win cheat.

And yes that stack is normal. It is not that hard to beat either in fact as the Orks run pretty quickly. When they get in range, fire ballista at the Mūmaks, cause they usually do not close with you fast and are easy to hit. Do not waste archers' arrows on them or Olog, it is a waste of ammo better used against the Orks (though you might consider one unit firing flaming arrows at the Mūmaks to get them running amok, they usually will pretty soon anyway as the Ballista takes out one or two). The Ologs will charge and outpace the Orks, no worries, tie them down with spearmen and use Lossarnach Axemen, Dismounted Swan Knights, Pelargir Marines javelins, etc to chop them up. Meanwhile your archers take their toll on the Orks, and when they reach your line, it will not be long before they break (they have no general), especially if you charge their flanks repeatedly with cavalry.

They run, the Mūmaks will have run amok at this stage cause the ballista will have taken out some, your cavalry runs down the routers (but stay away from the Mūmaks), while your infantry deals with the Ologs. After that you may even be able to use your remaining ballista to take out the Mūmaks still running wild. Bingo.

It will soon respawn though, so better get used to the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    In theory
    kill_character <character_name> : kills a character with the given name

But you can also tie her down with Fountain Guard & Dismounted Swan Knights, then charge her with Swan Knigths repeatedly or shoot her with siege engines in the same situation. You WILL take casualties against Shelob, but she can be taken down. Just never autoresolve. And if you do, use the auto_win cheat.

And yes that stack is normal. It is not that hard to beat either in fact as the Orks run pretty quickly. When they get in range, fire ballista at the Mūmaks, cause they usually do not close with you fast and are easy to hit. Do not waste archers' arrows on them or Olog, it is a waste of ammo better used against the Orks (though you might consider one unit firing flaming arrows at the Mūmaks to get them running amok, they usually will pretty soon anyway as the Ballista takes out one or two). The Ologs will charge and outpace the Orks, no worries, tie them down with spearmen and use Lossarnach Axemen, Dismounted Swan Knights, Pelargir Marines javelins, etc to chop them up. Meanwhile your archers take their toll on the Orks, and when they reach your line, it will not be long before they break (they have no general), especially if you charge their flanks repeatedly with cavalry.

They run, the Mūmaks will have run amok at this stage cause the ballista will have taken out some, your cavalry runs down the routers (but stay away from the Mūmaks), while your infantry deals with the Ologs. After that you may even be able to use your remaining ballista to take out the Mūmaks still running wild. Bingo.

It will soon respawn though, so better get used to the process.
    i tried the command ... doesn't work for me ... also i never mentioned mumaks in the stack ... i said i use baron's submod but i didn't activated most scripts ... i only have corsair invansions,immortal nazguls ,vanilla stack spam to enchance difficulty a bit ... shelob and i regret it the moment i hit accept button ... and gandalf the white script(personal favorite hero) which seem to be a little overpowered as general but regural nazgul's are too in my opinion ...
    anyway i can't recruit any of the troops you mentioned ... it apeared at turn 16-17 that's why i thought it was odd ... i'm stuck with basic militia so far ...and just have beaten that army lead by a nazgul that i already killed 4-5 times at least

Default How do I take the One Ring to Mordor?

I`m the HE,and the White Council has told me to send the Ring to Mordor. How do I do this. Currently a General has it. A pop up screen said I will get help but I can`t find anything related to this. Please help.

Default Re: How do I take the One Ring to Mordor?

Walk there

You keep the general that has the ring in the region that contains Mt. Doom for 3 turns IIRC, and it will be destroyed automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasian92 View Post
    Walk there

You keep the general that has the ring in the region that contains Mt. Doom for 3 turns IIRC, and it will be destroyed automatically.
    I think it's actually closer to five or six, but other than that, you're totally right!

Miles

Theres two ways:
    The direct way or the "backdoor"...

The direct way are attacking the Black Gate or Minas Morgul.
    The backdoor is Rhun

Ah there is usually Mūmaks in that spawned stack as well. Be glad that there is not, and be sad that you did not activate RR/RC script that gives you those units...

Edit, I am not surprised the command did not work. But it is the one that should in theory.

Edit2; you do not have Pelargir Marines, Fountain Guards and Lossarnarch Axemen? I find that strange as Gondor starts with the ability to build Marines, and with one unit of Fountain Guards and two of Lossarnach Axemen.
    Last edited by Macilrille; April 27, 2012 at 04:22 PM.

Check the FAQ, it is 5+ turns AFAICR, and last time I did it my general was sitting in Barad Dur.

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    Ah there is usually Mūmaks in that spawned stack as well. Be glad that there is not, and be sad that you did not activate RR/RC script that gives you those units...

Edit, I am not surprised the command did not work. But it is the one that should in theory.

Edit2; you do not have Pelargir Marines, Fountain Guards and Lossarnarch Axemen? I find that strange as Gondor starts with the ability to build Marines, and with one unit of Fountain Guards and two of Lossarnach Axemen.
    except marines ... the other three units died in battle ... the cost of a quick expansion towards mordor ... fighting spawing armies and revived nazguls

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Argh, don't waste your Fountain Guards! They're, if not the best, one of the best units in the game
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Hear- hear! Be careful of your Fountain Guards, and Lossarnach Axemen as well, though when you upgrade the Rax in Arnach you can rebuild these.

Both those units are battle-turners, they should not be deployed carelessly and the Lossarnach Axemen should be kept back from arrow fire and in reserve until the crucial moment when you can let them charge to chop- chop the enemy at a crucial point.

I have a question about upgrading cities. playing as the high elves while i was busy fighting the Ootm mordor slammed gondor and quickly conquered every settlement east of Anfalas. About 100 turns have passed since then and mordor has been upgrading the former gondor settlements. Dol Amroth is now a Orc large city and i“m wondering if there is any way to change it back to a human city in game?

EDIT
    nevermind i found a solution
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; April 29, 2012 at 05:16 AM. Reason: d-post

zacen299's Avatar Senator

Captain Balrog? I though Balrog was one of the names made so that no-one else could obtain it? Although i guess I have seen several Gandalfs.

PSSpyker's Avatar Foederatus

I've had this situation in my game today, watch out, wall of text.

I was trying to defend East Osgilliath (not repaired) today with Boromir and an army consistent out of 1 extra citadel guard, 2 spearman, 6 swordmilitia, 1 catapult, 1 swordman, 2 rangers, 1 Gondor archers and 1 gondor horsemilitia, most units had decent experience. Against a full stack of led by 2 nazgul generals (both with 10+ HP each!!), another General and at least 12 units of Uruks, luckly no trolls. So I was "only" outnumbered 2:1, and that should be easy when defending sieges.

It wasn't so easy. I had 1 unit in my square, and had all my units behind the main gate. I usually set a few units at the left side right behind the gate, and a few units about 10 meters behind the gate, and no melee units to the right, but all my archers on the right, so my archer can should them straight in the side, without friendly fire, and more hits because they don't have to shoot with a big arc.

I had my citadel guard (not boromir) in shield wall formation and defense mode as first line of defense, together with the 2 units of spears, hoping they would hold them enough to get massive casualties with catapults and arrows in their flanks. But they rushed everything and 10 units of uruks just "pushed" all my +-700 men I had their to the side, so I couldn't hold them in place like you can in a field battle.

A small detachment of their generals and orc spearmen went to the side gate, so I brough 3 units of militia and my horses to fight them because all my professional troops were trying to hold the uruk horde in place. My militia and horses did an excellent job, killed 2 out of 3 generals and had 150+ kills each. However, my main forces who were put in defensive mode and spear mode got slaughter and my citadel guards (supposed to be elite forces) lost all 150 men, but killed only 20 uruks, my militia did WAY better. Same with every other unit who were defending the main gate, including boromir's unit had negative k/d ratio. I would have lost the game if it wasn't for my 3 archer unit who had 450 kills each (shooting from flank at huge masses = epic. And my catapult who killed 49 units, in just 1 blow.

So now my final questions. What just happened? Why are my elites terrible and 800 men of gondor getting slaughtered right after the gate. Is it because of of defensive mode or shield mode from the guards. Because my militia who I ordered to attack did excellent, my elite horde I ordered to defend got rushed and slaughtered. Is it simply because of the sheer massive force (Mordor crammed about 1700 men, in just the side of about 2 normal units, they were that crammed, even moshpits in Metal concerts are not that crazy. And how do I stop this for the next time?

To be honest, I would have had a better victory if it was just a field battle.
    hi

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I have noticed that units in guard and shield mode tend to fight poorly, no matter what type of unit they are. It's rather frustrating.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by PSSpyker View Post
    I've had this situation in my game today, watch out, wall of text.

I was trying to defend East Osgilliath (not repaired) today with Boromir and an army consistent out of 1 extra citadel guard, 2 spearman, 6 swordmilitia, 1 catapult, 1 swordman, 2 rangers, 1 Gondor archers and 1 gondor horsemilitia, most units had decent experience. Against a full stack of led by 2 nazgul generals (both with 10+ HP each!!), another General and at least 12 units of Uruks, luckly no trolls. So I was "only" outnumbered 2:1, and that should be easy when defending sieges.

It wasn't so easy. I had 1 unit in my square, and had all my units behind the main gate. I usually set a few units at the left side right behind the gate, and a few units about 10 meters behind the gate, and no melee units to the right, but all my archers on the right, so my archer can should them straight in the side, without friendly fire, and more hits because they don't have to shoot with a big arc.

I had my citadel guard (not boromir) in shield wall formation and defense mode as first line of defense, together with the 2 units of spears, hoping they would hold them enough to get massive casualties with catapults and arrows in their flanks. But they rushed everything and 10 units of uruks just "pushed" all my +-700 men I had their to the side, so I couldn't hold them in place like you can in a field battle.

A small detachment of their generals and orc spearmen went to the side gate, so I brough 3 units of militia and my horses to fight them because all my professional troops were trying to hold the uruk horde in place. My militia and horses did an excellent job, killed 2 out of 3 generals and had 150+ kills each. However, my main forces who were put in defensive mode and spear mode got slaughter and my citadel guards (supposed to be elite forces) lost all 150 men, but killed only 20 uruks, my militia did WAY better. Same with every other unit who were defending the main gate, including boromir's unit had negative k/d ratio. I would have lost the game if it wasn't for my 3 archer unit who had 450 kills each (shooting from flank at huge masses = epic. And my catapult who killed 49 units, in just 1 blow.

So now my final questions. What just happened? Why are my elites terrible and 800 men of gondor getting slaughtered right after the gate. Is it because of of defensive mode or shield mode from the guards. Because my militia who I ordered to attack did excellent, my elite horde I ordered to defend got rushed and slaughtered. Is it simply because of the sheer massive force (Mordor crammed about 1700 men, in just the side of about 2 normal units, they were that crammed, even moshpits in Metal concerts are not that crazy. And how do I stop this for the next time?

To be honest, I would have had a better victory if it was just a field battle.
    Not easy to do anything with artillery and missile in E. Ostgiliath. That town is more for spam infantry. I am not impressed by the mileage I get with heavy infantry either. Save the good units for the field and actual fortress defense. Let them waste their good units on your spam kofm.

Is it still possible to set rams on fire in this mod?

I had about 8 units of archers pelting a ram with fire arrows for about 6 barrages and still nothing. Re-loaded the battle and tried again, but nothing. Just wondering if I'm wasting my time?

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by ViolentHelkin View Post
    Is it still possible to set rams on fire in this mod?

I had about 8 units of archers pelting a ram with fire arrows for about 6 barrages and still nothing. Re-loaded the battle and tried again, but nothing. Just wondering if I'm wasting my time?
    The durability of siege engines are increased greatly.
    You can set the catapults and things that you build as a unit on fire, but the towers and rams is extremely hard to set in fire.
    Only the ungraded defense towers can insta-kill and set them on fire. Actually it make sense IRL.
    Aure entuluva!

Default Two questions......

I'm pretty sure that I've taken all the Harad cities and wiped out all its army. But Harad is still not announced destryed... Is this a bug?
    In addition, I received One Ring after I destroyed Mordor.So do I still need to detroy this ring(I play as Arnor)? This One Ring bores me a lot becauce it reduces general's moving points and allegiance. My general received it right at Barad-dur and I can't believe it's really necessary for him to run to faraway elf's lands. May I just send this ringbearer to a suicide mission for I hate unloyal guys?

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Two questions......

There could be a family member on a ship somewhere. I believe there is also some random island out west of Umbar, so there could be a family member there. Turn off fog of war and see.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele