Thread: - Official 'Ask Questions About TATW 1.0 - 3.2 Here' Thread -

Default Re: TATW 3.1 Question

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhog250 View Post
    It shouldn't. Imrhail uses a Swan Knights unit instead of a bodyguard unit.

You can give a general any unit as a bodyguard I think.
    THanks ya,

I have gathered another question. I have created a general of my own in the high elves, if I wanted him to be in the family tree, do I need to hard code him in? or is there a man of the hour trigger in TATW?

Also, with a submod that lets you select a heir, how does it work if you select one that is not in the family tree?

EDIT** ALso, could anyone point me to the file that uploads the tga file for the unit description? (The image right above the text that talks about the specific unit and their stats)

Thanks again,
    Helkin
    Last edited by ViolentHelkin; April 24, 2012 at 05:45 PM.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: - Official 'Ask Questions About TATW 1.0 - 3.1 Here' Thread -

Quote Originally Posted by vegetassj2345 View Post
    how can i get the one ring? and what happens if a good faction own it?
    Check here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=509455
    Read through it, will anwser a lot of your qustions i guess

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by ViolentHelkin View Post
    THanks ya,

I have gathered another question. I have created a general of my own in the high elves, if I wanted him to be in the family tree, do I need to hard code him in? or is there a man of the hour trigger in TATW?

Also, with a submod that lets you select a heir, how does it work if you select one that is not in the family tree?

EDIT** ALso, could anyone point me to the file that uploads the tga file for the unit description? (The image right above the text that talks about the specific unit and their stats)

Thanks again,
    Helkin
    There is a MoTH, Gondor gets them all the time, HE is more difficult, but happens; I have done it. If you want to add him to the Family Tree, see below.

Baron's Submod lets you choose an heir, including outside the family tree, it is no problem. He does not become heir instead of the heir, but heir after the heir.

Some of what you want borders on a minimod, go to the Submods and see the thread "Small Modifications on Demand" by some really awesome people. You might also, as you seem to be using Samedi's mod and want to fiddle with and control the family tree and inheritance more, consider the "Princesses for Baron's" minimod that the awesome guy EmperorofHell made for me. You will have to tweak it a bit yourself as I did, but then it works.

I hope Emperor sees this, him and Mhaedros likes being called awesome.

Default Re: Is it even POSSIBLE to restore Osgiliath?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Butters I View Post
    I thought upgrading Annúminas was difficult. When I first started my game as Gondor, I was looking forward to restoring Osgiliath. I then saw the population requirements and about had a heart attack. After writing a little python script to find out exactly how many turns it would take to get East Osgiliath from 325 people to the staggering 28,000 needed to build the Huge Wall, (which I uploaded here if anyone cares) this was the result:

At 0.5 %, upgrade takes 894 turns.
    At 1.0 %, upgrade takes 448 turns.
    At 1.5 %, upgrade takes 300 turns.
    At 2.0 %, upgrade takes 226 turns.
    At 2.5 %, upgrade takes 181 turns.
    At 3.0 %, upgrade takes 151 turns.
    At 3.5 %, upgrade takes 130 turns.
    At 4.0 %, upgrade takes 114 turns.

What the hell? I don't know about anyone else, but even with low taxes and a governor, my population rates never go over 2%, so it would be turn 200+ before I could even have the option to restore the city. Even if I managed to get the rate up to 4% and keep it there, my games usually don't last a whole lot longer than 100 turns. What was the point of including the rebuilding of Osgiliath if it's never going to be seen?
    Send a lot of cheap, plentiful and possibly weak units to the city and disband them there. They'll add to the population, and with enough of them the thing will snowball being percentage-based.

Doesn't work. Troops aren't taken from population, nor do they add to it once disbanded.

I thought upgrading Annúminas was difficult. When I first started my game as Gondor, I was looking forward to restoring Osgiliath. I then saw the population requirements and about had a heart attack. After writing a little python script to find out exactly how many turns it would take to get East Osgiliath from 325 people to the staggering 28,000 needed to build the Huge Wall, (which I uploaded here if anyone cares) this was the result:

At 0.5 %, upgrade takes 894 turns.
    At 1.0 %, upgrade takes 448 turns.
    At 1.5 %, upgrade takes 300 turns.
    At 2.0 %, upgrade takes 226 turns.
    At 2.5 %, upgrade takes 181 turns.
    At 3.0 %, upgrade takes 151 turns.
    At 3.5 %, upgrade takes 130 turns.
    At 4.0 %, upgrade takes 114 turns.

What the hell? I don't know about anyone else, but even with low taxes and a governor, my population rates never go over 2%, so it would be turn 200+ before I could even have the option to restore the city. Even if I managed to get the rate up to 4% and keep it there, my games usually don't last a whole lot longer than 100 turns. What was the point of including the rebuilding of Osgiliath if it's never going to be seen?
    I question something-do you take Squalour into account? 1% every 3000 pop, checking the files.

There's also building crop buildings, which are +0.5% each one, and the extra buildings(Chicken farms for Men) which are 0.5% per one again.
    Last edited by Bloodly; April 25, 2012 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodly View Post
    Doesn't work. Troops aren't taken from population, nor do they add to it once disbanded.
    Is it a Medieval 2 or TATW thing?

Medieval 2.

Default Re: Is it even POSSIBLE to restore Osgiliath?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaeron View Post
    Send a lot of cheap, plentiful and possibly weak units to the city and disband them there. They'll add to the population, and with enough of them the thing will snowball being percentage-based.

That worked in RTW but not MTW2.

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

I miss that game mechanic, i used to (and still do in EB) send Roman legionnaires home to italy to settle (and upgrade) some of the smaller towns in the north. Though i don't think any unit ever made it to the 20 year retirement mark, and if they did they were probably retrained/reinforced to a point where in reality none of the founding members would still be alive.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

I keep merging my EB units, Roman Legion Veterans FTW (and let us not touch on what gold-chevroned Sweboz Units do to civilised factions). But in the part of time of the Republic, which EB deals with; service time was a mere 6 years on average.

One of the things I like about MOS is that the battles are more like EB's.

The growth in TATW is bad- or rather, most settlements are very small at start. Smaller than Lore, but with turns being how long? 2 months? much larger settlements would end up Huge by turn 150-200. And think of it, with short turns it is not as if women spawn several babies a year...

Personally I believe a larger start population would be in order and I have tried adding Population using the Console, to all factions' cities, and it works fine.

p00pwater's Avatar Libertus

instead of retirement troops in specific settlements like osgiliath to make them grow, you can allways move pop by taking away pop somewhere, then adding that same amount to osgiliath. i at least find that not as cheating, its immigration.

Forcible immigration

p00pwater's Avatar Libertus

if you're refering to the incident about that, i was barely involved. all i did was give them a little nudge out of the door.

Default making troops become available faster

when i play third age mod i recruited some troll units and when i wanted to train another one i had to wait for 50 odd turns is there anyway to make it become avaliable faster and same with all other units to i was playing as orcs of gundabad the mods great well done to the team that made it

Default Re: making troops become available faster

The RR/RC Mod.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: making troops become available faster

You can edit that manually if you liked. In the EDB (export_descr_buildings.cfg) file you see all buildings listed. It also lists how many turns it takes until a unit is available again, together with other stuff like how much experience the recruited unit will have etc...

If you are a beginner to text editing, use this guide (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...&highlight=EDB), explains pretty much everything and always make a backup. I guess it will not be too hard and will not take thaaat much time to manually change it to your liking

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    There is a MoTH, Gondor gets them all the time, HE is more difficult, but happens; I have done it. If you want to add him to the Family Tree, see below.

Baron's Submod lets you choose an heir, including outside the family tree, it is no problem. He does not become heir instead of the heir, but heir after the heir.

Some of what you want borders on a minimod, go to the Submods and see the thread "Small Modifications on Demand" by some really awesome people. You might also, as you seem to be using Samedi's mod and want to fiddle with and control the family tree and inheritance more, consider the "Princesses for Baron's" minimod that the awesome guy EmperorofHell made for me. You will have to tweak it a bit yourself as I did, but then it works.

I hope Emperor sees this, him and Mhaedros likes being called awesome.
    TY For the comments (+rep)

Another question, this time with a picture: I have been editing small details, adding Role playing into the game from my own point of view. I decided to code my brother in, although I an elf, he a human (sort of). Basically I made him a Silvan general, but I gave him swan knight bodyguards(human enough alright). I haven't seen any other knights yet to confirm if this is just his bodyguard unit, but this is what I see with him on the field:

Any ideas as to what is causing this?

EDIT** Guess it's worth saying that I am running the 3.1 TATW with Baron's newest mod comp.
    Last edited by ViolentHelkin; April 25, 2012 at 06:37 PM.

They haven't been given an entry in modelsdb. I'm too tired to get into it now but it can be complicated. I'll give a better answer tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    They haven't been given an entry in modelsdb. I'm too tired to get into it now but it can be complicated. I'll give a better answer tomorrow
    Well is this because I'm using cross race units? Because I've created several different "bodyguard" units from the different selections of each race to guard my character. All have been fine except this one, so I had a hunch it was something to do with cross race units. Also, I'm guessing this is just a problem with mine?

Ninje edit*: Will this fix be save game compatible so I can continue on with my campaign?
    Last edited by ViolentHelkin; April 25, 2012 at 08:57 PM.

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

@ViolentHelkin
    'Cross race' units will have problem due to the modeldb.
    Modeldb only 'supply' units with texture of the specific faction- so that it would be possible to have different texture for different faction's same unit, really useful in the vanilla M2.
    Sometimes there would be codes already provided, but the unit is not actually used by the game (yet, maybe) so there would be no problem for you to use them instantly.
    It's fully save-compatible and quite simple- if you are careful, that is.

Spoiler for Long tutorial ahead!

Supposed you have figured how to switch units around, create new generals and even new name for the new units, I think you can do this:
    Go into the 'unit_models' folder and check the 'battle_models.modeldb'.
    It seems not possible to edit, but just open it up with Notepad or any word editing tool.

The name of the models of the Swan Knights, the unit you are editing, is just 'swan_knights' - Ctrl-F and search it.
    Now you have the lines out, you can see something like this:
    Code:
    6 sicily 
    72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/en_wmail_wmail_poland.texture 
    72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/en_wmail_wmail_normal.texture 
    43 unit_sprites/sicily_swan_knights_sprite.spr
    4 merc 
    You are playing as Silvan Elves- it's represented in game codes with 'mongol'.
    Copy the lines starting from '6 sicily' up to the last line before '4 mercs'.
    Replace 'sicily' with 'mongol' in the new lines.

Now you should have this:
    Code:
    6 sicily 
    6 mongol
    4 merc 
    And so it's finished.

After you get that done, why don't you try also switch the battle model for your general?
    You can have a special model like Arnorian armour for you 'Man-ish' general among your Elves.
    Same veins with the above change, just that it's not save compatible sadly.
    Last edited by KnightsTemplar; April 26, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
    Aure entuluva!