Thread: - Official 'Ask Questions About TATW 1.0 - 3.2 Here' Thread -

Default Re: How does the game know which settlement files to acces and display on the battlemap?

Theory:
    combination of the WORLDPKGDESC file describing the settlement size and faction that built it along with desc_strat detailing what settlement size and founding culture each custom settlement is.

Anything else im missing that holds it all together? And what program am I supposed to use to view/edit the worldpkgdesc files? I just opened and read it with notepad...

New questions:
    Which file governs the terrain type of a city? What if I wanted to make Minas Morgul pretty grassland and trees like it was when it was Minas Ithil, back in the day?

Which file(s) determine(s) what a city looks like on the campaign map?

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Default Re: How does the game know which settlement files to acces and display on the battlemap?

Quote Originally Posted by euskingc View Post
    Theory:
    combination of the WORLDPKGDESC file describing the settlement size and faction that built it along with desc_strat detailing what settlement size and founding culture each custom settlement is.

Anything else im missing that holds it all together? And what program am I supposed to use to view/edit the worldpkgdesc files? I just opened and read it with notepad...
    Your theory is right. The IWTE tool:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=323503

Quote Originally Posted by euskingc View Post
    New questions:
    Which file governs the terrain type of a city? What if I wanted to make Minas Morgul pretty grassland and trees like it was when it was Minas Ithil, back in the day?

Which file(s) determine(s) what a city looks like on the campaign map?
    I think that is just the map files. map_ground_types.tga to be exactly. You could ask Finfarin. He has a green beautiful Minas Ithil in his Second Age submod so I guess he knows how to change it.

Thank you both! By the times, it seems it suddenly clicked as you were still in the middle of writing me the explanation lol. I am left with another question. Does this mean the total number of custom settlements on any given campaign map is limited? If so, does anyone know, offhand, how many (exactly or roughly, whatever you happen to know offhand)?

So, disregard my question in the last post about what program to use to edit/view the worldpkgdesc files, since you already answered.

Thank you again. I'll be bothering him promptly about it if I can't figure it out...

Does anyone know of a tutorial that explains the functions of all the different settlement files? e.g. the worldvegetation, worldterrain, worldpathfinding, worldcollision, world, animinstances, and the files under the overlays subfolder?
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; April 19, 2012 at 06:14 AM.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

There are at least 3 of them I think. These are in the Scriptorium, but there are links to the original tutorials as well
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=534638
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=534240
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=534236
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

I've asked the same question once before, but never got a good reply. Hope you don't mind me borrowing your thread, but it's the same subject... I want the game to generate a minor city when attacking a big/huge one. (I've got lag issues with buildings) Would be very grateful if someone could tell me which files to edit, if it is possible.

One more question. How do I make the sky not red lol?
    Is the sky colour decided by province? Or vegetation underneath? or is each tile specified somewhere?
    If I had to guess, I'd say that I'd have to edit map_climates.tga ... but is that all I'd have to do?

Quote Originally Posted by jakethesnake View Post
    I've asked the same question once before, but never got a good reply. Hope you don't mind me borrowing your thread, but it's the same subject... I want the game to generate a minor city when attacking a big/huge one. (I've got lag issues with buildings) Would be very grateful if someone could tell me which files to edit, if it is possible.
    I don't know how to fix the problem, but I have some theories, if no one else winds up giving you the answer.

I take it you mean the generic large cities?

I'm assuming the necessary changes would be save gave compatible, but I'm not certain.

Before you make any changes back up the settlements folder. I've noticed that for generic settlements, only aztec and east_european have all the files in the settlement subfolders. Other than your worldpkgdesc file, gondor and north european are empty. I don't even know where the dwarves are at all. A good place to start might be to find out where those files are kept. I don't know if they just use generic MedII files?

Ultimately the idea is going to be to replace the files in the large_city folders with the files in the city folders, except of course NOT the worldpkgdesc file which tells the game 'this is the files to use for this settlement size and this culture/nationality. If you replace the worldpkgdesc file, it simply wont work (or shouldnt).

So, you should in theory be able to make it so the east_european large cities show up as small cities, and the aztecs (but I don't even know which factions use them, if any... would be worth finding out). As for gondor and the north_europeans, you'll have to hunt down the files, or ask someone on the forums where gondor's generic cities' files are stored.

Hope this begins to help... and I don't guarantee there won't be an easier way to do it. The good news is this way you shouldn't have to do any scripting or modelling.
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; April 19, 2012 at 06:15 AM.

Libertus

Default Can u tell me the name of Witchking's sword please?!

look title thx

kraxmause's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: - Official 'Ask Questions About TATW 1.0 - 3.1 Here' Thread -

Quote Originally Posted by ROnneth View Post
    it's nrmal that Eldar Guardians of the Noldors fight withount swords an shield???
    ..because i remenber to seen them with them...
    ...dont know if it's a bug or what because some one post the sasme question in bugs and reports and no body answer him.

...thnx!!
    Every Eldar was Kung Fu fighting, those Elves were fast as lightning...
    Cleave the sod with your trusty spade
    Dig out a house that's quite like a grave
    And should your neighbour not return your wave
    Cleave the sod with your trusty spade

A.R.R.R. Roberts - The Soddit

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can u tell me tha name of Witchkings Sword Pls?!

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a name
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Vectis's Avatar Civis

Default Why don't they attack?

In my Rohan campaign, Sauren has ordered all the evil forces to re capture Isenguard. I have therefore filled it full of Helmingas, axemen and militia spearmen, in order to fend off the assault. Now the armies of Harad, Rhun, Misty Mountains and Gundabad are surrounding Isenguard, but for the last 10 turns they just stand outside and have never besieged it. Why? Is there some script saying they can't beseige Isenguard.

I don't want to sally forth as I would be facing 4 full stacks, yet I feel that if they tried to take it I would stand a better chance. Each turn I wait to be besieged, but nothing happens.

Default Re: Why don't they attack?

Yeah I noticed the same thing with Isengard. I think the AI mostly wants to siege cities where there is a low garrison and where they can siege with multiple armies at the same time. A filled up Isengard counters both of these parameters.

Thanks euskingc! I'll try... It's actually for stainless steel. All settlements in TATW works fine for some reason. But stainless steel's cities are much bigger. Like I said, I'll give it a try.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: Can u tell me tha name of Witchkings Sword Pls?!

Yeah, I don't recall it ever being named.

Quote Originally Posted by Spits32 View Post
    that's because the AI is thus.

That's not true. The AI will be reluctant to besiege a settlement with a large garrison unless the AI army is equally large or larger, and even if the AI has a large army sometimes they will still not attack.

Lazy's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: what medieval fraction are the HEs in the game scrpit

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor of Hell View Post
    it's descr_sm_factions and export_descr_ancillaries

Oops!
    You again

I hope he wasn´t looking for the wrong file´s names already...
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWarts View Post
    ...the woman trampled didn't look impenetrable. So they ran through her.

Default Jut a few questions

Hi all

Been playing third age for a while now (started with version 3.1) and I have a few questions.

Im in turn 111 now, playing VH/VH as Gondor and I have not seen:

-Balrog, I attacked Moria (and lost) and did wake it but that was in turn 70 I think.
    -Ents, or will they only show up if you are Isengard, Orcs or Mordor and capture Fangorn? Isengard have captured Fangorn but no Ents.
    -Dark Lord (no invastion request by him yet as I keep reading about orhave I seen him on the map. Maybe he is hidding?
    -The one ring, no request to take the ring from a settlement.
    -Aragon to join my army, tells that around turn 80-90 you get a requst to have Aragon but havent seen this.

Also mordor have almost no generals, all armies are "starless" armies. Normals? I seen the Nazgul but I defeted them, will they never respawn for Mordor? It tells that they should respawn ever 30-40 turn but as I said, cant find them anymore.

And finally, after 400 turns, does the game end or can you continue playing?
    Last edited by SandraDevilGirl; April 14, 2012 at 11:31 AM.

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Jut a few questions

Are you using my submods? Like Baron's for example?

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

The exemption is when they call an invasion they attack no matter what they have 200 men attacking a city with 2,000 which is stupid for them to do so but I have seen it

just let them stay outside for a while. if no more armies join the invasion it will soon peter out. however, if that happens, now you have 4 stacks in your land XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people?

Quote Originally Posted by Isais1 View Post
    The exemption is when they call an invasion they attack no matter what they have 200 men attacking a city with 2,000 which is stupid for them to do so but I have seen it
    The same applies to invasions, at least in my experience. Lots of times playing as an evil faction I may want another faction to take the city, so I wait for them to besiege it. If it has a large garrison though most of the time they will not besiege it.