Thread: Ok just a little feedback on IJ3

-Traiano-'s Avatar Miles

Default Ok just a little feedback on IJ3

I have been playing IJ3 for a few days and want to give some feedback.
    I decided to play the 361AD campaign using romans VH/VH.
    First i have to say that the mod is harder than hell to play!! I was used to win 90% or more of the battles i did...well IJ3 doesn't allow you to do that!! The Rhine and Danube limes are immediately attacked from several barbarian tribes, i was impreparate to fight mobile enemies like Laziges that literally destroyed the Comitatensis field army that i put holding the bridge on danube....using those horse archers they easily crossed the frontiers and now i have to face them in my Pannonian province trying to save Sirmium and Aquileia....
    After the first turn, which took me hours to prepare my army to cover any limes from Britain to Mesopotamia...i lost 5 (five) armies, 3 comitatensis and 2 limitaei!!! I lost 2 in battle, other 3 because of their rebellion!! yes the rebels!! I didn't think that loialty would be so important, but it is!! Never give large armies to disloyal generals!! The 2nd and 3rd turns went better cause i start to understand the game dinamics of the mod but it is very very challenging, sure the most challenging mod i have ever played, and i like this, you have to pay attention if you want to survive. The economy is terrible, after the first turn you can't recruit anymore troops, so you have to deal with tons of enemies using the starting imperial army (that is well done at least)
    In conclusion i can say i'm having lots of fun playing IJ3, i changed some things myself like the morale that is too low to my tastes and the 2 hitpoints for generals units, but these are little things.
    Sole criticism i have to report is that the mod is very instable...CTD are happening very often...fortunately are not repeating, the game crashes then you reload the battle and the game goes well...so it's important to save EVERY TIME you do something of important like battles.
    30BC: Ottaviano Augusto becomes the first Imperator, in his 44 years of principate he will bring to the empire peace and prosperity!
    70AD: Vespasiano is the winner of first great empire's civil war,rebuilding Roman world after the Nero's dark ages.
    98AD: Traiano becomes imperator after that the senateman Nerva adopted him,he will start a gold age for the empire getting it to biggest extension!! 117AD-180AD Adriano,Antonino Pio and Marco Aurelio administrate the empire during his richest and most pacific period, with their good administration Rome lives its golden age.
    193AD: Settimio Severo wins the civil war started after the death of Commodo starting the Severan dinasty, his heirs will not be as good as him. 252-285AD Rome lives the peak of III century's crisis,onli the emperor Aureliano will be able to reunite the empire breacked in 3 parts and the great reformer Diocleziano will give to Rome militar,politic and social cohesion after decades of caos. 325AD:Costantino rules alone over the empire and christianity is for the first time accepted by the imperial government.

Default Re: Ok just a little feedback on IJ3

Have you tríed the latest version? I had ctd´s on alot of battles before, but with the new patch I have not had one so far. anyway i have to agree with everything you say, its the hardest and most fun i have had in a long time in rtw!

All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

[quote=-Traiano-;5195907]
    In conclusion i can say i'm having lots of fun playing IJ3, i changed some things myself like the morale that is too low to my tastes and the 2 hitpoints for generals units, but these are little things.
    Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying it. And yes, the 361AD campaign is probably the most difficult one you will ever play because SO much is happening on all fronts and you have a completely shot economy, at least in the short to medium term and you have to deal with the invasions with what you have got, much like in those times. so you have to play cleverly and stragetically and preserve your field armies as best you can.

I generally find that the Germanic tribes can be dealt with by wearing them down using limitanei sagitarii and skirmishing cavalry as they have little in the way of their own bowmen.

The Lazy Gees and of course the Sassanids are another deal altogether. Here you have to pin them and rush them quickly. You'll find that they are not quite as good in a direct mellee as they used to be, so you have a chance.

And of course, rebellion and rebellious generals just adds to the fun

The 361AD camapaign is destined to be tough and challenging, that's why I created it. The other campaigns are a bit easier, though the 355AD Campaign as Julianus is pretty tough as well, but at least you can invade Constantius II and gain some cash a bit quicker.

Sole criticism i have to report is that the mod is very instable...CTD are happening very often...fortunately are not repeating, the game crashes then you reload the battle and the game goes well...so it's important to save EVERY TIME you do something of important like battles.
    Sorry to hear that. The latest download (IJV3.0 BETA 2) and the new patch have all the sprites redone and any errors in the descr_model_battle.txt corrected. I would strongly advise you to download either one. They are both savedgame compatible. And yes, it is always a good idea to save, save, save, anyway.

Cheers

-Traiano-'s Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    Sorry to hear that. The latest download (IJV3.0 BETA 2) and the new patch have all the sprites redone and any errors in the descr_model_battle.txt corrected. I would strongly advise you to download either one. They are both savedgame compatible. And yes, it is always a good idea to save, save, save, anyway.
    Cheers
    Damn!! I was still playing with BETA1 edition without patches!!! Now i understand why other people have no more crashes!! The game kept me so busy that i have forgotten to come here and check for new fixes!! thank you for the advise, a question: If do i install BETA2 i still need the patch also??

I'm downloading now both things and can't wait to play without fearing CTD after every battle!!!
    30BC: Ottaviano Augusto becomes the first Imperator, in his 44 years of principate he will bring to the empire peace and prosperity!
    70AD: Vespasiano is the winner of first great empire's civil war,rebuilding Roman world after the Nero's dark ages.
    98AD: Traiano becomes imperator after that the senateman Nerva adopted him,he will start a gold age for the empire getting it to biggest extension!! 117AD-180AD Adriano,Antonino Pio and Marco Aurelio administrate the empire during his richest and most pacific period, with their good administration Rome lives its golden age.
    193AD: Settimio Severo wins the civil war started after the death of Commodo starting the Severan dinasty, his heirs will not be as good as him. 252-285AD Rome lives the peak of III century's crisis,onli the emperor Aureliano will be able to reunite the empire breacked in 3 parts and the great reformer Diocleziano will give to Rome militar,politic and social cohesion after decades of caos. 325AD:Costantino rules alone over the empire and christianity is for the first time accepted by the imperial government.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

[quote=-Traiano-;5201279]If do i install BETA2 i still need the patch also??[quote]No