Thread: campaign seasons instead of turns?

Lias_solano's Avatar Semisalis

Default campaign seasons instead of turns?

Would having campaign seasons be beneficial to Empire and to the IS mod in particular??
    I was thinking of something along the lines where in the winter season all movement is drastically reduced and any troops caught out in the open during the winter would suffer some random casualties.This could represent General Winter.Any troops in a town or fort however would be ok.It would make being caught in the russian wilderness actually mean something then

In the campaign season things would operate as normal but you would need a bit of forward planning as to where you armies would be going and where they will be when the winter hits.

Troops like conscipts could have a 0 recruitment time in the campaign season but more trained units like line infantry would take a whole campaign season to recruit to simulate the extra training they get.

I guess the campaign season could be 2 game turns and the winter 1 turn.I know you can mod the game to have 3 turns a year but they dont include the drawbacks of campaigning during the winter.

Just an idea but wondered what people thought.

Lias
    British by birth,
    English by the grace of God.

Default Re: campaign seasons instead of turns?

The Winter season already drastically affects campaign movement, and snow on the battlefield affects accuracy and morale greatly.

It would be good to have 2 turns of regular weather and 2 seasons of winter, as in those times, the Earth's climate was far colder than today, so it would be sensible to have snow in the fall.
    Last edited by RuleBritannia; May 15, 2009 at 09:18 AM.

Ducenarius

Personally I like the two summers, one winter approach. That's only if you could get the worldly events notifications to come only one time instead of back to back during the two summer periods. I realize it's a minute detail but it can get bothersome for someone with borderline OCD like myself

With regards to troop recruitment, if the standard was set for IS to be coded for 3 turns, then adjusting recruiting times accordingly would make sense. Conscripts, Militias & Leavies recruiting faster than professional armies and what not. The only problem with this is availible recruitment slots. . for a minor faction with one region still, it could take you 6 turns just to recruit two line infantry. Whole 'nother can of worms.

In terms of enhancing winters detrimental effects I think it's adequately reflected in battle maps as Britannia suggested.
    The scribes on all the people shove
    And bawl allegiance to the state,
    But they who love the greater love
    Lay down their life; they do not hate

Quote Originally Posted by RuleBritannia View Post
    as in those times, the Earth's climate was far colder that today, so it would be sensible to have snow in the fall.

♔GrinningManiac♔'s Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Anbar View Post
    Nope, mister confubbled quizzicle frowney, he is right. At the time, the world was entering, or just about in, the "Mini Ice Age"

It was so predominant in Victorian times that the Thames froze over, and they could use it as an ice rink and walked elephants across it (because they could)

So much did it stick in the British ego that even now we expect snow to fall like that, and it's always pristine, thick, white layers in any drama set in the winter

I think 2 summer and 1 winter season per year is the way to go. In winter the armies are not marching, nore fighting so there are only 3 "aktive" seasons. If you see it that way, the movement rates are quite accurate.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It was so cold back then that there were blizzards in Trinidad.