Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Guide to Spain

Default Re: A Guide to Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Fotchimus View Post
    Flanders does give the whole 1k a turn but that's easily negated by the cost of the garrison you need in that area just to hold onto it. I'd rather not worry about it at all. My whole thing was trying to avoid wars with the major powers in the beginning of the game until I get my economy rolling.

I still have Naples and as of 1730 the Italian States have never attacked me after I made them a protectorate. I do have the city defenses upgraded there and a garrison of 4 militia just in case though. Naples earns me quite a lot of cash at this point with all its towns developed. Florida like Flanders, was just too expensive for me to hold on to in the early game so I opted to sell it and I'm now getting around to retaking it. My foothold into America has been through Texas and Mexico. I may try to conquer the 13 colony regions, but I'm not sure if it will be worth the hassle or not. I could try allying with the Iriqois first.

As for disbanding units: I agree that even demi canons can be useful but I was trying to cut all expenses down as much as possible to fund a galleon/tradeship fleet. It was a rough start but that paid off because I have a monopoly on all Ivory, Sugar, and 3 out of the 5 spice spots - so just about everything. Now I'm making 30k just from trade which is enough to fund massive armies in America. I didn't need any cavalry or canons to start with. Only a general, 4 line infantry, and 4 guerillas and I was able to conquer Morocco and Portugal. You don't need cavalry to chase down fleeing units when sieging towns because after you win all traces of their armies disappear for these 1 territory factions.

I have three full stack armies now and several small navies. With my armies I go with 1x General, 5x Line Infantry, 4x Other Infantry (Guerillas, Frontiersmen, or Grenadiers), 6x Three pound canons, 2x Heavy Cav, 2x Light Dragoons or Ranged Cav. My favorite army has a unit of Walloon Guards in it and they kick so much ass it's unbelieveable. So yes I do value the use of cavalry and canons - once I get the income to support their hefty upkeep costs.

It sounds like you are going for more of the European theater fighting than I am, which you have to do when doing any of the victory conditions but World Domination. Your strategy for that makes a lot more sense for that because you do want to hold onto Flanders in that case.
    Hmm well it's true that the garrison cost outweighs the income there, but at least I won't have to take it later. And yes, I'm going for the victory conditions and little else rather than trying to conquer the world. At the point you get 50k income per turn the game is over IMO as there is no challenge left and you can build anything.

I had a real ugly start as Spain getting blockaded to bankrupt and Portugal marching on Madrid and losing Naples (war with Genoa and Italian states) by 1705! I started out in the Carribean taking down Pirates and as soon as an opportunity arose went to war with France and UP (to both march on Paris and Amsterdam and secure carribean regions for the New Spain objectives)

Are the Spanish army lesser morale than other Euro powers? As I had to have 4 (!) full stack attacks (personally fought) on Texas (Tejas in the New Spain objectives, finally figured that out lol) against full stack Pueblo indians there before i took it. Had to fire the first general after his cowardly rep appeared.

So have held onto Flanders and even Milan remains untouched as does Florida (although I full stacked Florida in expectation of trouble)

1750 and I only have 2 regions to take

Question... I am knowledgeable of the War of the Spanish Succession IRL but when Carlos II dies before you perform a revolution, how does the "Succession War" in the game carry out?
    Last edited by Fathuran; September 22, 2009 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fathuran View Post
    Question... I am knowledgeable of the War of the Spanish Succession IRL but when Carlos II dies before you perform a revolution, how does the "Succession War" in the game carry out?
    When Carlos II die, the most usual thing is that a sucession war will start with austria, IF you are not at war with them before. They just declare war on you, and a message appear saying "Sucession war". But for the rest it is the same as any declaration of war.

Fire-dweller's Avatar Civis

Icon6 Re: A Guide to Spain

Long live the Bourbons!

Centaur's Avatar Civis

It was Rough with Spain when I had Carlos II, he kept every country hating me. After he died I had Queen Luisa Isabel and a War of Succession with Austria. She has since died and now I have Carlos III(my whole war with Austria has been Trade Route raiding). The French Alliance has been my biggest asset however I lost it for like ten years when Louisiana attacked me. Ended the alliance but France never went to war with me, and after Louisiana joined France we re-allied.

So far what Im noticing is the Cherokee like to build a full stack army and just keep whaling on me but after that full stack's gone they just piddle around. One thing that has surprised me is that somehow after Luisa Isabel died every country(even Britain) minus the one's im at war with has increasing Diplomacy Rating with me. Even the enemies of my allies are starting to turn real green. Im not sure what im doing to get that effect, but I am lovin it

Not a bad guide... I take the US and Africa too
    What the hell happened to this WORLD?

I for my part tend to stay with an absolute monarchy at the start of the game as it grants me military advantages, improved diplomatic standings at the beginning and full control. Once I have established my Spanish Empire in Europe, I like switching to a republic in order to avoid constant riots by the lower class, to boost my technological advance and to improve my economy.

Trading away Flanders is not that great move IMO as it brings you about 1k every turn income, so the money you got from france is not worth it.
    The trick is to trade it for French Guyana, which comes with a mine and gives you a springboard to take Dutch Guyana, also another rich region.

Someone said to avoid fights with the pirates but they attack my fleet near Cuba right from the start.I withdrawed but another fleet came after me.How do i have to fix this?

Also i have troubles to get a spot in the tradecentres.When i have one i get attacked by pirates or Brittain and also Savoy with big fleets.

Oh thanks so much for sharing your experience. I will apply it in my game

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

At what age/which year does Charles II dies? thanks

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    At what age/which year does Charles II dies? thanks
    Nobody knows this?

Consider performing a noble class rebellion at the start of the campaign, so you don't need to wait him to die, but you can still stay as an absolute monarchy.
    Remember the dead.
    Protect the living.

Eikki's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    Nobody knows this?
    Well, he survives a lot longer than he did in reality. And expect a war of succession from the damn Austrians.

Iīd like to try out Spain, but Iīm still waiting for my new computer. Gives some time to think about it though.
    I live in Spain, , so I know how they think about the French... Therefor i would like to take them out directly from Flanders with a back to the stag move. (thinking about declaring war first, but donno if thatīs a good idea.)
    Then using my Italian areas tu concer this area untill I can connect it with France and so making one big meditereanan and catolic state.
    My question, would it be possible to take Paris in one blow from Flanders and b, as they are also catolic would it be easy to get it settled fast?

Daneboy's Avatar Senator

Am I the only one who is having problems with the Maroco land army and their 120 men units with a 90 range in the begining of the game?

Not to mention their annoying camel gunners - also 90 range.

Everyone seems to think that their army is weak, well it isnīt in the begining of the campaign.

Any tips?

Neoton's Avatar Ordinarius

Hmm, I tried a really different thing - I sold all the european territories(Belgium and the italian territories) to the duch for Ceylon. Then I conquered India in around 1725(also eliminating the Maratha menace) and with India I had 20k income so I took all the Carribean islands(except the french ones), after that I crushed the poweful USA and I was the greatest power. Also I found France very useful "meat shield", keeping you away from all the European troubles. And in my campaign Portugal declared war on me in the first turns, just to know that isn't too passive.

Baker2's Avatar Libertus

Spain's campaign was fun to fight. But I didn't betray our French Catholic brothers

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

I kinda have a different strategy, I just give Belgium to UP, they give me Corcao (or whatevah it be called)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast