Page 54 of 225 FirstFirst ... 42944454647484950515253545556575859606162636479104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 4497

Thread: The "I just saw" thread

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: The "I just saw" thread

I saw The day. Cool movie. I liked Ashley Bell's performance.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Just saw:

Lawless

Now, for me, it's hard not to identify with the three brothers, coming from a backwater town filled with hicks and some sturdy alcoholism to boot in the family too.
    The imagery was quite breathtaking and I liked how alien the big city folks look to us, the viewers when we first see them.
    Guy Pearce's malicious appearance made this film for me.

Now I do believe it is time for my moonshine, so I guess I'll leave you fellas to your own devices.

10 stars out of ten.
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; December 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM.

My roommates and I decided to sit down and watch "The People v. George Lucas" today, and I honestly don't even know what to say of it. It has a lot of interesting questions about the man himself and the idea of ownership... It was nice to see that the film, ultimately, presented both the fanbase and Lucas in a fair light and made the argument that they'll always try to support each other, even if there's the occasional freak-out moment.

Not really that bad at all.
    Heh

Now with 100% more blog! -Beer me, mon Capitan!

Just saw:

Hurlyburly

This is the world I aspire to get in. Eddie's problem is that he hates himself, feels too much in a otherwise apathetic and complacent world.
    The selfishness in Eddie is postmodern, as is his struggle.

There are the Phil's , the Eddie's and unfortunately a lot of Mickey's in this cruel world of ours. Society condones such selfish behavior.
    So much so, that you forget why you even cared at all, in the first place.
    Great movie, great play.

Comes Limitis

Ted.

Laughed my ass off at parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by HunterKYA View Post
    WALL-E

For an animated movie, the underlying tones of its subject matter are profound. Resting just below the surface of all the fancy animation, there's that message about the inherent dangers of rampant, unchecked consumerism, environmental devastation, and complacency for the familiar; and how we, as a civilization, must safeguard what we have now for future generations to enjoy.

It also remains one of the best animated films of the past 15 years, if not, of all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    End of the Watch

Brotherhood. And Duty.
    These are the underlying themes of this film. Gyllenhaal and Pena captured them perfectly.
    I was thinking they should've done the entire thing First Person, then I realized it would've made it a whole lot cheaper, like the TV Show Cops or something.
    Both excellent films in my opinion. Btw Penguin how was Leboufs acting in Lawless I saw that you liked it a lot but I don't like Lebouf is it still worth a watch for me?

Lebouf is eclipsed all throughout the movie by Hardy and Jessica Chastain's breasts.

Anyway, I've just seen:

La cammare secca (The Grim Ripper) 1962

All I've got from this movie were some nice shots of bridges and river beds. But the action gets boring fast.
    And their accent gets on my nerves.
    Nothing could've prevented this, not even Domenico Modugno's Addio Addio or Gabriella Giorgelli as the viciously attractive Esperia.
    It is suppose to be a Bertolluci masterpiece, but for me it didn't do very much.
    Maybe because it was his first film.

And Takashi Mike's

Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai 2011

While I must admit I cried at the baby scene, I feel that the original Hara-Kiri (aka Seppuku 1962) is way better.
    In a sense, Takashi Mike's exaggerated post-modern style & critical eye sort of ruin the entire premise.

I like the old one because in that one, at least, in the end:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    he kills the ers.
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; December 12, 2012 at 03:14 PM.

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    I thought it was a great movie but I still prefer the second one. And Bane's voice really was ridiculous. He sounded like a british grandpa on a megaphone to me, hehehehehehehehe. And Nolan just delivers another thrilling movie once again!
    Saw the movie again 2 days ago, and I absolutely love Bane's voice and his speech pattern, it suits him and makes him a likeable person

Quote Originally Posted by OTZ View Post
    I would barely qualify what BdT does in this movie as good! This film - with Stone's name on it no less - is one of the worst movies I've seen all year! Avoid at all costs is an understatement. So many plot holes and imagination-stretching story-lines that it's almost impossible to get through to the end, and then when you get to end you wish you had stopped much much much sooner. Terrible. Sloppy. If you can stand the voice over by Blake Lively then you are either a hardened veteran of drowning cats in a bag, or completely and irreversibly deaf. Almost as bad as The Dark Knight rises...almost.
    Does Blake lively make the movie worthwhile?

I kind of liked her small part in the town, and she was cute as hell in that movie

Fired Up - Ever wondered what would happen if a director wanted to combine Ferris Bueller and Bring It On? With this movie you find out, what was supposed to be a teen summer sex comedy romp turned into something that tried to appeal more to your intellect than your hormones. A lot of the dialogue falls flat, despite the running commentary from the two main horny protagonists, who really don't appear that desperate. Though the writer seems to qualify.

Basically, two football jocks decide chasing tail takes priority and talk their way into cheerleading camp, despite the Head cheerleader's rather skeptical view on their motives.

It's amusing at times without actually being funny, handicapped by a distinct lack of charisma from any of the actors, which means you really don't care if any of them score or succeed. Hard to know if any of them were actually trying (to act), though the epilogue seems to indicate that they did have a fun time.

Is it worthwhile watching? Probably not, unless you have nothing else to do.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Just saw lawless and looper.

I hated looper, it took me three sit downs to get through it. The performances are terrible, JGL has to be the most overrated actor in Hollywood right now. Maybe this is just me being bitter about his performance in Looper, but maybe his career should have stopped at Third Rock from the Sun. He really makes for a very poor star to center a movie around. The dialogue in this movie is just distractingly bad, whether that is the fault of the actors (mainly I had a problem with JGL and the woman who played Sid's mother) or the writing contributed to it is hard to say.

I would definitely recommend re-watching 12 monkeys over this to anyone interested in a movie about time travel starring Bruce Willis.

Lawless was decent, would have been much better though without Shia LaBeouf who no matter how many roles they throw at him, and how hard he tries can't seem to break out of the role he played in Boy Meets World (insufferable moron).

Stalingrad - 1993

Not a perfect movie but I loved it , always refreshing to see a WW2 movie without Americans .

Sucker Punch - This is an incredible movie, that had enough material to make a trilogy, and while the pacing may have been effected, probably would have been worth the sacrifice. The premise is simple, girl gets sent to an insane asylum by her stepfather so that she can be lobotomized to prevent her squealing on him regarding the death of her sister, and is drugged out of her mind.

That's actually the good part, because it allows her consciousness to flow through world/genres that normally would be extremely hard to combine in one movie, which include roaring twenties(?), fifties jazz club (?), medieval Japan, medieval Europe, WWI, WWII, Vietnam. Though I was thinking Mortal Kombat, Kill Bill, Mutant Chronicles, 40K, Warhammer, anime (Gundam, katana, Sailor fuku), dance, Rogue Trooper, Charlie's Angels, Terminator, Matrix.

The production is remarkably smooth and well-paced, and while you might not be expecting Oscar performances, the actors play their parts remarkably well with a well thought out script, and a director who demonstrably knows what he's doing. Music seems suited. Special effects weren't bad, not sure if that slight lack of credulity was deliberate to remind the viewer it's a fantasy. I thought that Scott Glen was channelling Leonard Nimoy.

There's no question that this is a worthwhile watch; in fact, this is a movie you can see again.

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Saw the Hobbit today and it was mind blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vitiated Mind View Post
    Stalingrad - 1993

Not a perfect movie but I loved it , always refreshing to see a WW2 movie without Americans .
    Great movie, and indeed verry refreshing to see WW2 movies without americans

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

End of Watch is a cool movie and Stalingrad is one great movie. I just watched Repo Men, cool movie!

Henry of Grosmont's Avatar Clockwork Angel

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn777 View Post
    Ted.

Laughed my ass off at parts.
    When I went to see it, if I'd had anything to drink, I would have pissed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ravenous View Post
    I'm of the same opinion. Great movie.

Henry of Grosmont's Avatar Clockwork Angel

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ravenous View Post
    I watched it on Thursday night. An excellent piece. I just didn't get the whole 3D thing. Apart from very few moments it adds nothing to the movie, in my view.

Haywire - I didn't know it was a Soderbergh movie until the end, so whereas I was thinking I couldn't fault the production values, I came to the opinion that the director had little idea what he doing. In fact, I thought the production qualified as meh (I wondered where the hell they spent twenty five million on), while the film as a whole felt pedestrian, not just because the heroine spent more time running around than Lola, to the point you wondered if the director desperately wanted to do a Lara Croft movie, either of which were better than this film.

Not knowing it was Soderbergh, I was deeply puzzled as to how they managed to lure three actors I respect, Michael Douglas, Banderas and Ewan McGregor as cameos - they probably hadn't seen the complete script, which only turns interesting in the last five minutes in the epilogue which explains how they got to that point.

The story revolves totally around the heroine as she runs around punching up her opponents, and then gets hunted herself as an operation turns sour. You get the impression the entire project was outlined on a napkin during a dinner party. Gina Carano might be convincing in her fight scenes, being an actual martial artist, and cleans up nicely, but totally lacks any screen presence, and no other character manages to impose theirs.

Not really worth watching.

Killer Joe - A very clever script about dumb people played by intelligent actors, who never go full retard, so you feel that they are actually holding back in their performances.

Some bad people want their money, so a son decides he needs to collect the insurance policy on his mother, who he suspects just stole his large stash of cocaine in order to completely refurbish her car. The son and father contact a cop who hires himself out as an assassin, and since they don't have his fee, accepts as retainer the right to screw the guy's space cadet sister.

Surprisingly worth while watching.

Bangkok Dangerous - Never thought a Nicolas Cage film will be better than a Soderbergh one; the Pang's Bangkok has a vitality and believability that Soderbergh's Dublin lacks - in fact, Dublin looked and felt like a mortuary, and that can't be just because the Irish are going through a financial and spiritual depression.

Nicolas gets to play Obiwan to a local punk picked as a disposable go between with his contractors, and in the meantime falls in love with a deaf mute pharmacist Okay, the story is about as believable as Haywire's, but it comes down to cinematography, directing and acting, and Cage, the Thai cast and the Pang Brothers just seem to put more sincerity and effort into the whole project. The film is well paced and yet rather sparing of action sequences. Also, it showcases some really pretty Thai actresses.

It's worthwhile watching.